Groups

is this a good deal? Buy HP 15in Intel Pentium 4GB 1TB Black - Bag, Mouse & McAfee at Argos.co.uk - Your Online Shop for Laptops and netbooks, Laptops and PCs, Technology.

Is this any good spec for a laptop for a child in year 7? for school, gaming and general p c use. .I've been looking around for weeks..... heads in a spin.....I'm lost. I've kind of had to rule out many cheaper ones around the £150 mark due to tiny storage no cd rom..... Help?

CPU, Memory and Operating System:

Intel Pentium intel® pentium® n3710 quad core processor.1.6GHz processor speed.4GB RAM.1TB SATA hard drive.Microsoft Windows 10.

Display features:

15.6 inch screen.High definition display.Resolution 1366 x 768 pixels.

DVD optical drives:

DVD-RW (read/write).

Graphics:

Intel HD Graphics.Shared graphics card.

Interfaces and connectivity:

SD media card reader.Multi-Media Card (MMC) compatible.2 USB 2.0 ports.1 USB 3.0 port.1 Ethernet port.1 HDMI port.Bluetooth.Wi-Fi enabled.

Multimedia features:

HD webcam.Built-in mic.DTS sound system.

Software included: cyberlink powerdirector; netflix.

General features:

Size H2.43, W38.43, D25.46cm.Weight 2.04kg.EAN: 889899943700.

Any suggestions please for good alternatives?

11 Comments

The reason no one has replied is that information tells us literally nothing about the laptop you have seen. Post the link or at least copy the specifications (which is the bit that matters to see if it's a good deal). To clarify, an Intel Pentium with 4gb of RAM and 1tb hard drive could be used to describe laptops that have been available for about 5 or 6 years.

I'd hazard that for the money it's not a good deal as you can easily get better processors/more RAM for that budget but without seeing the full spec sheet that's entirely a shot in the dark.

Why type of gaming they be doing?

Don't expect to be able to play first person shooter or racing games on a laptop unless you spend over £1,000 for one with a decent dedicated graphics card.

Did you buy it as I'm debating on it too

Original Poster

MIDURIX

Why type of gaming they be doing?

​sorry for the confusion still trying to add more info but having problems

Original Poster

thanks for the response I apologise for any confusion thought I had added all the info...Any idea ​which processors and ram I could go for?. I would like to come down in budget to be honest but I've only found 2gb ram and 32gb storage with poor performance in the lower prices

Original Poster

Lynda99

Did you buy it as I'm debating on it too

​ I'm debating on it... it's so confusing when your unsure about the ins and outs of the spec etc

Original Poster

nothing too advanced minecraft level games

Original Poster

I've added the info sorry for the mix up​

hotdealsareus123

I've added the info sorry for the mix up​

In that case then I'd say the machine you are looking at is probably a poor deal overall for the money. Yes you get a bag and what not but those extras don't really add value, I would also add that I've picked up about 5 different laptops over the years with carry cases, they hardly ever get used.

Mcafee I'd skip and just use microsoft security essentials as it's just as reliable, a mouse you can pick up from CPC-Farnell for a few quid or your local pound emporium.

These things try to appeal to parents buying the machine as a Christmas gift, the issue there is that the laptop tends to be a good deal inferior and then needs replacing all that much more quickly. I'd rather buy the most you can get in a laptop now, buy a case when you actually need it and any other bits and then know that next Christmas you wont have to replace said laptop for another £300.

hotukdeals.com/dea…363

SSD drive which will make it faster (buy an external drive for any more files and to make back ups)
    More ram means it will feel slow less often
    Slightly better graphics performance, similar level of processor performance.
    Full HD screen will be able to display things in higher detail
    2 year warranty

hotukdeals.com/dea…253

More RAM, read the blurb to get it under the price you are looking at currently and it will be a better deal overall. but not as good as the one above which is a much better deal.

Edited by: "Astec123" 11th Dec 2016

Original Poster

Astec123

In that case then I'd say the machine you are looking at is probably a … In that case then I'd say the machine you are looking at is probably a poor deal overall for the money. Yes you get a bag and what not but those extras don't really add value, I would also add that I've picked up about 5 different laptops over the years with carry cases, they hardly ever get used. Mcafee I'd skip and just use microsoft security essentials as it's just as reliable, a mouse you can pick up from CPC-Farnell for a few quid or your local pound emporium. These things try to appeal to parents buying the machine as a Christmas gift, the issue there is that the laptop tends to be a good deal inferior and then needs replacing all that much more quickly. I'd rather buy the most you can get in a laptop now, buy a case when you actually need it and any other bits and then know that next Christmas you wont have to replace said laptop for another £300.http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/15-6-acer-laptop-with-128gb-ssd-fhd-6gb-ram-pentium-3558u-ibood-312-90-2569363SSD drive which will make it faster (buy an external drive for any more files and to make back ups)More ram means it will feel slow less oftenSlightly better graphics performance, similar level of processor performance.Full HD screen will be able to display things in higher detail2 year warrantyhttp://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/hp-15-6-inch-amd-a9-8gb-1tb-laptop-silver-329-99-argos-free-c-c-2571253More RAM, read the blurb to get it under the price you are looking at currently and it will be a better deal overall. but not as good as the one above which is a much better deal.

thanks alot Astec123 for your patience and advice
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Xiaomi redmi note 4 firmware47
      2. Bathroom suites22
      3. Unfair Dismissal22
      4. Ap on iPhone ios1144

See more discussions