Is this a good offer? / How to get a better discount?

Found 5th Jul 2009
I recently bought a dell studio xps 16" from dell for £993 with 16% off.
It ofiginally cost around £1150

specs:

Studio XPS 16 : Intel Core 2 Duo Processor P8600 (2.40GHz,1066MHz,3MB)
Display : 16in Truelife 1080p Full HD RGBLED Edge to Edge Display
Camera : Integrated 2.0 Mega Pixel Camera with Facial Recognition Software (Software install, no media)
Resource DVD : Studio XPS 16 Diagnostics and Drivers
Ship Accessory : English Docs
Memory : 4096MB (2x2048) 1067MHz DDR3 Dual Channel
Solid State Drive SATA 128GB 2.5 Ultra Performance
Optical Drive : Internal DVD+/-RW (DVD & CD read and write) Slot Load Drive including software(Software install, no media)
Power Supply : XPS 90W AC Adapter
Power Cord : UK 1M
Battery : Primary 6-cell 56W/HR LI-ION
Not Included Carry Case
Graphics : 512MB ATI Radeon HD 3670 graphics card
Wireless : Intel Wireless Card Label - Core 2 Duo
Wireless : Europe Dell Bluetooth 370 Card
Wireless : Intel WiFi Link 5300 (802.11 a/g/n) Half Mini Card European
Keyboard : Internal UK/Irish Qwerty Keyboard
Operating System : English Genuine Windows Vista SP1 Home Premium (64 BIT) including Media
English Microsoft Works 9.0 (Word Processor, Database) with Recovery CD
Dell Dock 1.0
English McAfee Security Centre 10.0 - 30 Day Trial Version
No Warranty Upgrade
1Yr Premium Warranty Support
No Accidental Damage Support
DataSafe Online Backup 2GB
DataSafe Online size - 2GB Trial
Studio XPS 16 Order - UK

I manged to get 16% off as i got student EPP and used a 10% code of got from this site.
but even when i asked for free 1 yr accidental cover(£35) they told me no, i mean im buying a £993 laptop and they wont give me something cheaper when it costs them nothing, thats a pisstake.

is it a decent offer and is there any way i could make them make it chaeper?

11 Comments

if u allready brought it? how u expecting to get more discount ? or am i basic?

How does it cost them nothing,Youre a student right and when you spill cider on it it will cost them £1000,

Original Poster

its not a part that they would add.
also, i havent bought it but got a offer at that price valid till tomorrow so im thinking about
i said il think about it and if i like it il buy it. i cant seem to get them to budge on that price.

she did a cheaper price but then the "financeing" team said no.....

Original Poster

26% off

u paid 993 pounds for tht!!!!!!!

mine is pretty much same spec my processor is 0.3ghz slower, dont have a 1080p screen just 720p, but i ahve a bluray drive and i apid 400 quid

micoo;5677228

u paid 993 pounds for tht!!!!!!!mine is pretty much same spec my … u paid 993 pounds for tht!!!!!!!mine is pretty much same spec my processor is 0.3ghz slower, dont have a 1080p screen just 720p, but i ahve a bluray drive and i apid 400 quid

what? for a laptop?

Admittedly i think its expensive for what the op got but i cant imagine you got a laptop for £400 with blu ray drive built in!

Please feel free though to provide a link and make me look like a complete numpty!

mr.potato_head;5677269

what? for a laptop?Admittedly i think its expensive for what the op got … what? for a laptop?Admittedly i think its expensive for what the op got but i cant imagine you got a laptop for £400 with blu ray drive built in!Please feel free though to provide a link and make me look like a complete numpty!

ye a laptop it was on here a few months back :thumbsup:

hotukdeals.com/ite…gb/

Original Poster

whats OP mean?

well i got 26% off now, 16% off now and 10% back once i receive the system as i read a thread where you order it and then say you want to cancel so they give you money back, and thats exactly what happened. i made sure the 10% is legit and called 3 customer reps and they all said its in their computers and once i get the laptop, i get 10% back.

My overall price is £893.

Also, is yours a studio xps 16?

the RGBLED 1080p upgrade is £200 extra then the 720p and well worth it, best laptop screen around, im pretty much 100% sure, the colours are the best around and its bright.
anandtech.com/mob…=12

plus i got a SSD option which was 128gb SSD for £100 for a 200mb/200mb SSD. HUKD had a deal for 64gb SSD for £147 and everyone loved it, this would be £270ish if bought otherwise and is twice as large.

i got a free a windows 7 upgrade, i have the new/better wireless card, the processor is better(as stated) and its new. I also dont use bluray as iv got it on my ps3.
Its a really good price for what i got. i wanted these upgrades and if bought seperately+your system, it would have cost more.

did you get a new studio xps 16 for £400? thats a good deal

owais;5677344

whats OP mean?well i got 26% off now, 16% off now and 10% back once i … whats OP mean?well i got 26% off now, 16% off now and 10% back once i receive the system as i read a thread where you order it and then say you want to cancel so they give you money back, and thats exactly what happened. i made sure the 10% is legit and called 3 customer reps and they all said its in their computers and once i get the laptop, i get 10% back.My overall price is £893.Also, is yours a studio xps 16?the RGBLED 1080p upgrade is £200 extra then the 720p and well worth it, best laptop screen around, im pretty much 100% sure, the colours are the best around and its bright.http://www.anandtech.com/mobile/showdoc.aspx?i=3540&p=12plus i got a SSD option which was 128gb SSD for £100 for a 200mb/200mb SSD. HUKD had a deal for 64gb SSD for £147 and everyone loved it, this would be £270ish if bought otherwise and is twice as large.i got a free a windows 7 upgrade, i have the new/better wireless card, the processor is better(as stated) and its new. I also dont use bluray as iv got it on my ps3.Its a really good price for what i got. i wanted these upgrades and if bought seperately+your system, it would have cost more.did you get a new studio xps 16 for £400? thats a good deal

na its an acer, i hate dell, i have no need for a SSD and ive got double the space, 1080p screen would be nice but ive got a 1080p samsung tv downstairs, mine came with vista but im sick n tired of it now tho am about to load up xp lol

Original Poster

i find dell wayyyyyy better then acer.
they are now mostly better built, the support is a lot better (iv had a dell and acer before), dell is cheaper and dell is custom buuilt.

Original Poster

micoo;5677386

na its an acer, i hate dell, i have no need for a SSD and ive got double … na its an acer, i hate dell, i have no need for a SSD and ive got double the space, 1080p screen would be nice but ive got a 1080p samsung tv downstairs, mine came with vista but im sick n tired of it now tho am about to load up xp lol

ssd makes the laptop aot faster
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Topcashback Trick or Treat competition51457
    2. Magazine competitions - Issue 42 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk1515
    3. Win a Fisher-Price Think & Learn Teach 'n tag Movi @ Netmums11
    4. Win an all-inclusive holiday to Antigua, including flights!11

See more discussions