is this a good slr? (im a beginner!)

5 replies
Found 22nd Nov 2009
parkcameras.com/948…tml

would you reccomend this? i have only ever used my canon ixus digital camera, please can someone advise? many thanks x

1. Misc
  2. SLR
Groups
  1. Misc
  2. SLR
5 Comments

Rockyfella uses an E510 (the model before the E520)on the photo thread, should ask in the photo thread and find out. :thumbsup: .

hotukdeals.com/ite…801

There's pretty much no 'bad' SLRs out there, each has their own advantages and disadvantages. The strengths of the E-520 are that it has effective onboard image stabilisation allowing any lens attached to benefit from IS, the 14-42mm kit lens is small and very good quality (one of the best of the kit lenses) plus it's good value for money, the 40-150mm is reasonably cheap to add on to give some telephoto range. Olympus have done a reasonable job adding the 25mm F2.8 prime, 9-18mm and 70-300mm lenses to give a good basic lens range all with good image quality.

On the downside the 4/3 sensor is slightly smaller than the rival SLRs which means high ISO performance (shooting in poor light) isn't as good and the 4/3 market is reasonably small which can make it difficult to find secondhand lenses cheap. All camera prices have been going up with the poor exchange rate at the moment but Olympus prices seem to have particularly soared making even some basic equipment such as the remote FL-36r flash surprisingly expensive. The E-620 is a stronger all round camera as it's smaller, still has IS (the previous smaller models lost IS which is a noticeable omission) and an articulating screen but it does seem to be a lot more expensive than the E-520 unfortunately.

The other factor to consider is that the future of 4/3 isn't entirely definite, Olympus/Panasonic have produced a micro 4/3 format and it looks likely that Olympus are going to invest their effort into that system at the moment. This is entirely speculation though, Olympus haven't released or announced anything much for the 4/3 system in a while. I've been using 4/3 equipment for a few years and have an extensive setup (£10,000+) but have recently decided to change to Nikon, I've been frustrated by the inconsistent AF performance on the E-3 and don't really have much hope that they will produce a replacement any time soon and even if they do whether it would have the AF performance it should for a pro body.

John

Original Poster

Johnmcl7;6964885

There's pretty much no 'bad' SLRs out there, each has their own … There's pretty much no 'bad' SLRs out there, each has their own advantages and disadvantages. The strengths of the E-520 are that it has effective onboard image stabilisation allowing any lens attached to benefit from IS, the 14-42mm kit lens is small and very good quality (one of the best of the kit lenses) plus it's good value for money, the 40-150mm is reasonably cheap to add on to give some telephoto range.On the downside the 4/3 sensor is slightly smaller than the rival SLRs which means high ISO performance (shooting in poor light) isn't as good and the 4/3 market is reasonably small which can make it difficult to find secondhand lenses cheap. Olympus have done a reasonable job adding the 25mm F2.8 prime, 9-18mm and 70-300mm lenses to give a good basic lens range all with good image quality.The other factor to consider is that the future of 4/3 isn't entirely definite, Olympus/Panasonic have produced a micro 4/3 format and it looks likely that Olympus are going to invest their effort into that system at the moment. This is entirely speculation though, Olympus haven't released or announced anything much for the 4/3 system in a while. I've been using 4/3 equipment for a few years and have an extensive setup (£10,000+) but have recently decided to change to Nikon, I've been frustrated by the inconsistent AF performance on the E-3 and don't really have much hope that they will produce a replacement any time soon and even if they do whether it would have the AF performance it should for a pro body.John

eventhough alot of the jargon is gobbldeegook to me, you have done a fab job explaining it all in english to me! rep added!
the nightime vision is very impostant to me as this is one of the reasons im fed up with my digital camera so i maqy avoid this one.
this was around the right price im looking for but at the same time i dont want to compremise on quality. what would you reccomend john?

Not to hot on what is what but, a website you might find helpful camerapricebuster.co.uk/
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Anger over Donald Trump's UK crime tweet3486
    2. Meerkat Movies (2 for 1 Cinema Codes) | Official Trading Thread428414667
    3. Premium baked beans just 99p for 4 cans from ALDI!1423
    4. 75% off Sky TV for existing customers. Only works when you call the specifi…18226660

See more discussions