Groups

Is this a good start to my diet??

Banned
    I went for a run on Wednesday and managed just under 2 miles before almost collapsing. This was a constant pace of 12km/h. After a few days of rest in between I visited the gym today and did 6.83 km or just over 4 miles. I did the 1st mile at 12km/h and then did each further lap either running at 12km/h or 6km/h. I found this much easier and intend to do it this way again on Monday. The machine also showed I had burnt 403 calories whereas on the 1st day I only burnt around 125 and I felt far more exhausted. I feel interval training is the way forward on the results so far.

I've cut down to one beer a night and intend to do the same 4 mile run every other day. Do you think this is a good routine??

Another question I must ask is why after exercise, even when I cool down do I feel lethargic for 2 days??

Thanks in advance
    David

56 Comments

It's a very good routine! Make sure you drink plenty of fluid though. I think your body isn't quite use to the regime so it may feel lethargic at first. But trust me you're be fine by next week.

Banned

I honestly don't think you need to diet. If you are running that much in a week, you'll burn those pounds off in no time at all.

Unless you're eating like Kerry Katona, I doubt a change in your diet will make much difference.

As I said in your thread the other day. I losy almost 2 stones in 9 months by hardly changing my diet at all and just doing 30-45 minutes of exercise a day. Running like that should see the pounds fly off!

Banned

oops double post

Original Poster Banned

Thanks for the advice, but I just need to top up my exercise as I'm deemed overweight at the moment and I would like results as quickly as possible. Oh ye and apologies for the double post, I think it's now been removed.

I can't imagine you're overweight if you can run 2 miles,then 4 at the gym,how can you be overweight if you're that fit !

Y'know, I hear boxing is a pretty good way to burn calories and increase muscle mass. By the way, did that Gareth Quilt character ever get back to you?

Original Poster Banned

deb8z;4090829

I can't imagine you're overweight if you can run 2 miles,then 4 at the … I can't imagine you're overweight if you can run 2 miles,then 4 at the gym,how can you be overweight if you're that fit !

It was hard work I tell you, although I feel the interval thing is the way forward. Its like sprint then rest and allows you to go for longer.

Original Poster Banned

dxx;4090833

Y'know, I hear boxing is a pretty good way to burn calories and increase … Y'know, I hear boxing is a pretty good way to burn calories and increase muscle mass. By the way, did that Gareth Quilt character ever get back to you?

Ye I finally received the phone after 33 days without the memory card btw. I duly left negative feedback and he even had the nerve to leave me negative feedback in return.

I'm not overweight and i couldn't run half a mile

Are you one of these people who says they are overweight and there's like a miniscule bit of fat on em..lol

Ideally you shouldnt be seein this as a quick fix but instead a lifestyle change, the benefits of exercise and a mixed balanced diet are unquantifiable.

But if you are after advice my tip is to build up to it, dont expect to see miracles over night, and then you can proceed with the interval training which will certainly speed up your target of losing weight. I have been assisting my father with the same such scenario, telling him to run as quick as he can for 5 mins, and then do another 5 minutes at a jog/comfortable pace, and repeat. This increases the bodies work rate, as your body can become complacent with the same distance runs every other night.

Original Poster Banned

deb8z;4090930

I'm not overweight and i couldn't run half a mileAre you one of these … I'm not overweight and i couldn't run half a mileAre you one of these people who says they are overweight and there's like a miniscule bit of fat on em..lol

I know the kind of people you mean, but my BMI says I'm fat and looking at pictures from 12 months back (when I was fighting fit) make me want to change my image and get going again. I have chin fat that really does my head in and I can't seem to get rid of it.

Original Poster Banned

Lockstockdude;4090969

Ideally you shouldnt be seein this as a quick fix but instead a lifestyle … Ideally you shouldnt be seein this as a quick fix but instead a lifestyle change, the benefits of exercise and a mixed balanced diet are unquantifiable. But if you are after advice my tip is to build up to it, dont expect to see miracles over night, and then you can proceed with the interval training which will certainly speed up your target of losing weight. I have been assisting my father with the same such scenario, telling him to run as quick as he can for 5 mins, and then do another 5 minutes at a jog/comfortable pace, and repeat. This increases the bodies work rate, as your body can become complacent with the same distance runs every other night.

Some good advice. Thanks :thumbsup:

You can't be doing too badly if you can run that far though,so you're stil obviously still fit,i'd die if i ran further than the end of the street..lol

Good luck with it:thumbsup:

Original Poster Banned

deb8z;4091021

You can't be doing too badly if you can run that far though,so you're … You can't be doing too badly if you can run that far though,so you're stil obviously still fit,i'd die if i ran further than the end of the street..lolGood luck with it:thumbsup:

Thanks, I see where you're coming from. It would be easier to show you a picture of then and now and you can kind of see what I mean. I'll upload two pictures. You'll even get to see the real face behind the avatar lol.

davidhurn;4090923

Ye I finally received the phone after 33 days without the memory card … Ye I finally received the phone after 33 days without the memory card btw. I duly left negative feedback and he even had the nerve to leave me negative feedback in return.

Man. On the plus side, every tech-savvy HR staffer from now for the next few years will Google his name and be able to find out about what he's like, so I guess when he starts getting knocked back from decent-paying jobs, he might begin to realise what karma does. Sucks about the memory card though.

Original Poster Banned

dxx;4091055

Man. On the plus side, every tech-savvy HR staffer from now for the next … Man. On the plus side, every tech-savvy HR staffer from now for the next few years will Google his name and be able to find out about what he's like, so I guess when he starts getting knocked back from decent-paying jobs, he might begin to realise what karma does. Sucks about the memory card though.

I doubt he'd be going for decent paid jobs to be honest lol.

Original Poster Banned

1st pic on my 18th

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f344/davidhurn/1st.jpg

2nd pic only a few weeks after my 20th (look at the double chin effect)

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f344/davidhurn/2nd.jpg

Original Poster Banned

Oh the embarrassment lol.

I think you need more hair.

You're not overweight though,good god!

Original Poster Banned

angelfairee;4091194

I think you need more hair.

It's grown back now. I was always told to get my money's worth at the hairdressers lol and it literally grows back within a week.

davidhurn;4091440

It's grown back now. I was always told to get my money's worth at the … It's grown back now. I was always told to get my money's worth at the hairdressers lol and it literally grows back within a week.

Then I deem you sexy and not overweight and demand you stop with this silly diet business!

I've cut down to one beer a night and intend to do the same 4 mile run … I've cut down to one beer a night and intend to do the same 4 mile run every other day. Do you think this is a good routine??

no no no

Another question I must ask is why after exercise, even when I cool down … Another question I must ask is why after exercise, even when I cool down do I feel lethargic for 2 days??

because your un-fit

Original Poster Banned

black gerbil1;4091481

no no nobecause your un-fit

What's with the "no no no"???

davidhurn;4091510

What's with the "no no no"???

too your is this a good routine, no its not.

Original Poster Banned

black gerbil1;4091530

too your is this a good routine, no its not.

I meant why is it a bad routine?? Can you explain??

so you run 4miles a day and the treadmill claims you burn 400kcals.(which is more like 300kcals) A pint of beer is usually about 200kcals of sugar.

you run 4miles to be able to drink 1 pint of beer.

a "4mile" run on a treadmill is not a very solid routine either.

Being healthy is a lifestyle choice, not a temporary fix to losing weight/feeling good.

A diet with beer invloved everyday is not a good diet either.

Original Poster Banned

The treadmill stated the number of calories burnt so I feel it has a better knowledge than someone like you (no offence intended). And a diet is supposed to be "long term", I can't cut the beer out all at once, hence the cut down.

Cheers for your opinion though.

Banned

thats a good routine, I have just started running, in an attempt to run the Dublin marathon in October. I am running 4 miles, twice a week as I am seriously unfit. I too feel terrible in between runs, but I guess when I get use to it and start increasing distances I will feel better. Also cut out beer completely.

I think the more you do it, the better you will feel

Also incase you didnt know you will notice street running takes it out of you a hell of a lot more as opposed to tread mills, much harder on the body but make sure you get the right gear if you choose to do this with the dark nights etc. Will assist in achieving your target quicker, anything else you want to know just ask, have been running for a few years now (not continuously ha) you thought about having a target in mind ie a half marathon which would give you somethin to focus on? thats how i started

davidhurn;4091724

The treadmill stated the number of calories burnt so I feel it has a … The treadmill stated the number of calories burnt so I feel it has a better knowledge than someone like you (no offence intended). And a diet is supposed to be "long term", I can't cut the beer out all at once, hence the cut down.Cheers for your opinion though.

lol ok good luck.:thumbsup:

To put it into perspective.. how many beers were you drinking before?

I think any increased activity is going to be a much better one than the one before imho.

Original Poster Banned

Lockstockdude;4091857

Also incase you didnt know you will notice street running takes it out of … Also incase you didnt know you will notice street running takes it out of you a hell of a lot more as opposed to tread mills, much harder on the body but make sure you get the right gear if you choose to do this with the dark nights etc. Will assist in achieving your target quicker, anything else you want to know just ask, have been running for a few years now (not continuously ha) you thought about having a target in mind ie a half marathon which would give you somethin to focus on? thats how i started

That's a good point. I fair fancy the Great North run.

Original Poster Banned

Titchimp;4091950

To put it into perspective.. how many beers were you drinking before? I … To put it into perspective.. how many beers were you drinking before? I think any increased activity is going to be a much better one than the one before imho.

Well its hard to put as finger on it as it was more "binge drinking" as University is that sort of scene. Drinking pretty much everyday, mostly beer and vodka.

Original Poster Banned

After 2 beers last night, I decided to punish myself for it today. I did 5.81km in 55 minutes doing my usual 1 mile at 12 km/h, followed by one lap of a fast paced jog and then slow walk/ minor jog. Towards the end I upped from 12km/h to 14.5km/h and in total burned off 500 calories which I'm very pleased about.

Just thought I would give an update, and thank everyone who has contributed to this post so far.

Cheers
    David

Forget exercise and give up the beer..lol

Original Poster Banned

deb8z;4108075

Forget exercise and give up the beer..lol

That's impossible lol.

I know what you mean,i can't give up chocolate,its my only vice..lol

If you can't go 1 day without having a beer I would see that as more of a problem than your exercise routine.
    If you are afraid your mates will pick on you if you don't drink then it shows what a weak person you are.
    You have to make sacrifices to achieve your goal.

I've just added Boxing to my Routine, just on the bags, doin 12 2 minute rounds with 1 min rest. Killer but a great feeling when done.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767197
      2. Try buy that Minecraft Xbone Argos deal? 10% online code in your email!55
      3. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19047093
      4. The obvious next step become Ken then become Barbie11

See more discussions