Groups

is this a good/good value gaming laptop

due to certain funding situations I am able to get a laptop with the following specs for £384 down from £530

Operating System:
    Windows 10
    HomeProcessor:
    Intel Core i5 6200U Processor 2.3GHz Turbo Boost to 2.8GHz
    Screen size:
    15.6 Inch IPS 1920 x 1080 Anti-glare
    Hard drive:1TB HDD 5400rpm
    RAM:8GB DDR4 RAM (up to 12GB)
    Graphics:NVIDIA GeForce 940MX 2GB Dedicated Graphics
    Battery Life:Up to 5 Hours Video PlaybackWeight:2.2 kg
    Dimensions:(mm) : 379 x 260 x 22.9
    (inches) : 14.92" x 10.24" x 0.9"
    Connections:
    2 x USB 3.0
    1 x USB 2.0
    3.5 mm Combo Audio Jack
    1 x VGA
    1 x HDMI™
    1 x RJ45 Gigabit LAN
    4-in-1 Card Reader (SD, SDHC, SDXC, MMC)Feature 1:Built-in DVD Drive

I'm not much of a pc gamer but would like to be able to play more pc games

7 Comments

With a 940MX graphics chip and a "U" (low-power) CPU, that's not a gaming laptop.

What sort of games did you have in mind playing on this?
    Edited by: "Illusionary" 16th Nov 2016

Illusionary

With a 940MX graphics chip and a "U" (low-power) CPU, that's not a gaming … With a 940MX graphics chip and a "U" (low-power) CPU, that's not a gaming laptop.

Think he'd be hard-pressed to get a better one for <£400

OP what kind of games are you hoping to play?

LetoKynes

Think he'd be hard-pressed to get a better one for

Fair comment and if archfiend's not looking to use it for anything intensive, it may be fine - I just wouldn't want them to buy this with the expectation of being able to run the latest 'AAA' games at high quality.

Original Poster

Illusionary

Fair comment and if archfiend's not looking to use it for anything … Fair comment and if archfiend's not looking to use it for anything intensive, it may be fine - I just wouldn't want them to buy this with the expectation of being able to run the latest 'AAA' games at high quality.

​thanks for the quick response guys. like I said I'm not much of a pc gamer, so AAA titles are strictly console bound. the main thing the laptop would be used for is running unreal engine 4 as I'm a first year games technology student. but I'd like to be able to comfortably play Civ 5, the first 2 witcher games and the majority of $1 humble bundles

archfiend

​thanks for the quick response guys. like I said I'm not much of a pc g … ​thanks for the quick response guys. like I said I'm not much of a pc gamer, so AAA titles are strictly console bound. the main thing the laptop would be used for is running unreal engine 4 as I'm a first year games technology student. but I'd like to be able to comfortably play Civ 5, the first 2 witcher games and the majority of $1 humble bundles

You're probably okay on this basis, though I'd suggest that you may want to do a bit of research on the system requirements for any other specific games that you have in mind.

Original Poster

Illusionary

You're probably okay on this basis, though I'd suggest that you may want … You're probably okay on this basis, though I'd suggest that you may want to do a bit of research on the system requirements for any other specific games that you have in mind.

​Cheers fella, I'll hit up steam and see what I've got on my wishlist that the current pc won't handle

For the price it's probably up there with the best you could get for that rate, specs will run a game like CIV 5 comfortable but may struggle when you get to the higher FPS games. my only recommendation would be to consider an SSD upgrade as that will make the general performance of the laptop a lot better.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Win a flagship smartphone - the HTC U1134
      2. Magazine competitions - Issue 39 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk66
      3. Win a Davosa Ternos Submariner Wristwatch worth £64534
      4. Tv choice magazine Issue 391414

See more discussions