Is this a reeaallllyyy big problem or just a little one?

19 replies
Found 26th Sep 2008
Please help, my lappy has died I think and I need to know whether I can give it the kiss of life or is it time I dumped it?
It takes about 10 mins to start up then before I even touch it it shuts down again!! So I can't even do a system restore or anything!!
Any help will be appreciated as usual and rep will be left x x

19 Comments

sounds to me like the hard drive's gone ... two options .. buy a new hard drive online .. dont use DELL though iv been waiting for mine since jully ... or .. claim on your home insurance shhhhh it fell down the stairs lol

Banned

it might be overheating and need a new fan or a dust clearout

you could try starting in safe mode, see if that works - when you turn the laptop on, keep pressing F5 (i think its F5 any way) and then select start in safe mode.

nicki3668;3055434

sounds to me like the hard drive's gone ... two options .. buy a new hard … sounds to me like the hard drive's gone ... two options .. buy a new hard drive online .. dont use DELL though iv been waiting for mine since jully ... or .. claim on your home insurance shhhhh it fell down the stairs lol

Could be all manner of reasons , buying a hard drive may be a silly thing to do at this point, a reinstall of windows may sort it 100%

nicki3668;3055434

sounds to me like the hard drive's gone ... two options .. buy a new hard … sounds to me like the hard drive's gone ... two options .. buy a new hard drive online .. dont use DELL though iv been waiting for mine since jully ... or .. claim on your home insurance shhhhh it fell down the stairs lol

why does it sound like the hard drive???? If that hard drive had failed it wouldn't boot at all. More likely it's infected with a virus or trojan. If you can't do a restore try re-installing windows again, I bet that fixes it :thumbsup:

Original Poster

Ok guys n gals thanx, will try the F5 thingy 1st x

nicki3668;3055434

or .. claim on your home insurance shhhhh it fell down the stairs lol

yeh, It was also an intel dual core quad laptop with 32gb of ram, 5tb hdd and a super duper screen :whistling:

sowwy my answer was totally off the mark lol oops :oops:

Banned

where do u live? want me to look at it for you? ;-) lol x

Original Poster

dean3988;3055606

yeh, It was also an intel dual core quad laptop with 32gb of ram, 5tb hdd … yeh, It was also an intel dual core quad laptop with 32gb of ram, 5tb hdd and a super duper screen :whistling:

yh, how u know:?

Original Poster

nicki3668;3055615

sowwy my answer was totally off the mark lol oops :oops:

Don't be silly sweet, I appreciate all ur help x

Original Poster

salder21;3055619

where do u live? want me to look at it for you? ;-) lol x

Now there's an offer u don't hear everyday:p

Banned

hannah19790;3055694

Now there's an offer u don't hear everyday:p

see you in 5 ;-) xxx

Banned

If it was me I'd drop the hard drive and create new partition, but I backup all important stuff, so may not be best option for you at this stage...

Is it getting hot at all Hannah? can you hear the drive accessing?

Original Poster

salder21;3055710

see you in 5 ;-) xxx

Best give me 10 to have a spruce up first:giggle:

Banned

hannah19790;3055786

Best give me 10 to have a spruce up first:giggle:

ok will i meet you at your place again, or the same place as last time ;-) xx

Original Poster

ODB_69;3055764

If it was me I'd drop the hard drive and create new partition, but I … If it was me I'd drop the hard drive and create new partition, but I backup all important stuff, so may not be best option for you at this stage...Is it getting hot at all Hannah? can you hear the drive accessing?

lol, u lost me at 'I'd drop the hard drive....' U know me and tech stuff lmao
It always feels hot actually, it's a pretty old laptop. Yh, I think I can hear it doin stuff.
Oh, system restore has just completed and it seems to b ok at mo - fingers crossed:thumbsup:

Original Poster

salder21;3055797

ok will i meet you at your place again, or the same place as last time … ok will i meet you at your place again, or the same place as last time ;-) xx

:w00t:I think my place again coz of the Laptop, won't have much room in that HUKD office cupboard :giggle:

Banned

hannah19790;3055920

:w00t:I think my place again coz of the Laptop, won't have much room in … :w00t:I think my place again coz of the Laptop, won't have much room in that HUKD office cupboard :giggle:

ok on my way :-D xxx
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. dakine backpacks33
    2. Android pay set up611
    3. Whey protien637
    4. CEX grading33

See more discussions