Groups

Is this a weed?

i have this growing in my garden, some say its a weed others say its a lily?
    any experts here that can settle it for me?

s653.photobucket.com/alb…jpg

26 Comments

Banned

wow it looks cool.. i want it

http://i653.photobucket.com/albums/uu257/krjgreen/DSCF0972.jpg

Sorry to burst your bubble but it's not, but on the plus side it is opium.

Flubbbbber Lub

Can't be a weed, could be a Beanstalk?

Nice Avy, smart Lamp that!!

Original Poster

my family say its a lily, but i dont think so. i have some planted and they are only just poking through the soil.

It's a weed. No idea what it's called but it if you break the stem you'll find a white liquid inside. I was warned that this can irritate the skin (don't know if this is actually true or not). Recommed wearing gloves to pull it up, to be on the safe-side.

ever seen "little shop of horrors?"

Original Poster

it looks cool though even if it is a weed i might keep it, just curious to know what kind.

Get Rid Of This Immediatley It Is Poisonous And Will Kill You

Cluffy321;5041650

Get Rid Of This Immediatley It Is Poisonous And Will Kill You

+1000

Original Poster

well now you mention it, i do sometimes feel its watching me.

It's worth remembering that a weed is only an unloved flower.

its a lilly, silly
    or it could be a Carcharodon carcharias

bit out of its depth though

Looks like a Lily to me

Banned

still want it

bykergrove;5041800

still want it

]Well get some!

After a spell of Googling I am pretty convinced it is:

**drum roll**

EUPHORBIA LATHYRIS aka the Caper Spurge

Thanks, and Goodnight.

Oh and the sap IS poisonous and irritating (unless you are a Goat) !

Original Poster

Deanc1966;5041866

After a spell of Googling I am pretty convinced it is: **drum … After a spell of Googling I am pretty convinced it is: **drum roll**EUPHORBIA LATHYRIS aka the Caper Spurge Thanks, and Goodnight.Oh and the sap IS poisonous and irritating (unless you are a Goat) !

yes i think your right! going to wiki it now to decide its fate, have some well earned rep.

Banned

Robotochan;5041823

]Well get some!:)

youtube.com/wat…KTU

Banned

read title as "is this weed"

its a weed if you dont want it there

weed :A plant considered undesirable, unattractive, or troublesome, especially one growing where it is not wanted, as in a garden.

unless you got any warts it may come in handy for lol

It is an erect biennial growing up to 15 cm long and 1-2.5 cm broad with a waxy texture and veins. The seeds are produced in globular clusters. Handling may cause skin irritation. While poisonous to most livestock, goats sometimes eat it and are immune to the toxin. However, the toxin can be passed through the milk where it is often considered an invasive weed.

There's something not quite right about this wiki......

I think that Dean has it right.

Monty Don article says

E lathyris, the caper spurge. It is impossible to eradicate. Its seeds … E lathyris, the caper spurge. It is impossible to eradicate. Its seeds produce a violently purgative oil and were apparently used by 'country people in France' to clean their systems (according to A Modern Herbal by Mrs M Grieve, £30, Tiger Books International). If ingested, the root will be violently rejected and the leaves will cause blisters. Medieval beggars would rub their skin with them 'to excite pity'. Blimey.

It seems like other spurges to have sap that causes very nasty photosensitive reactions on skin.

I think that you should definitely use gloves to pull it out and dispose of in plastic bag. If it starts to regrow then treat it with weed killer.

Banned

chop it, let hang dry in a dark dry room, then paper bag it for about a week , stick it in an airtight jar and then

SMOKE IT!!
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. It is a Yorkshire pudding wrap.1322
      2. 75% off Sky TV for existing customers. Only works when you call the specifi…17866387
      3. The never ending counting with pictures thread !4594775
      4. Any PS4 News Here29313801

See more discussions