Is this an OK PC setup?

Posted 28th FebEdited by:"ra786"
Decided for the sake of speed and personal preference, I'll just bang one together myself. I'll be honest though, don't know if this is good/rip off. But all the items are in stock and if I order today I can get it by Saturday with prime.

MSI B450-A PRO MAX Motherboard: ATX: amazon.co.uk/gp/…QSF

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 :
amazon.co.uk/gp/…Q18

Corsair VS650 650 W:
amazon.co.uk/gp/…P1W

Crucial Ballistix Sport AT BLS2K8G4D32AESTK 3200:
amazon.co.uk/gp/…HF1

ASUS Phoenix GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER OC:
amazon.co.uk/gp/…7C8

Corsair CC-9011075-WW Carbide Series 100R:
amazon.co.uk/gp/…QNW

Total £607.26
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

34 Comments
Ssd or hdd not on list or os...
Edited by: "Bargainhead" 28th Feb
You will definitely want to add SSD at least 500GB and mechanical HDD for additional storage.

Can get windows for under a tenner online
Bargainhead28/02/2020 10:09

bally1234528/02/2020 10:12

You will definitely want to add SSD at least 500GB and mechanical HDD for …You will definitely want to add SSD at least 500GB and mechanical HDD for additional storage.Can get windows for under a tenner online

I've got loads of SSDs already. And a Windows 10 licence from another PC.
Edited by: "ra786" 29th Feb
Talk about cutting it fine, re786. Nothing like a last-minute "build" eh?

Hope it goes well.
Isn't the cpu and gpu a mis-match?
m1keyp1key28/02/2020 10:55

Isn't the cpu and gpu a mis-match?

I don't know!

Do you mean the CPU is too good for the card or vice versa? I was thinking I might change the card in the near future, but it'll do for now.

Or do you recommend something else?
Edited by: "ra786" 28th Feb
ra78628/02/2020 11:02

I don't know! Do you mean the CPU is too good for the card or vice versa? …I don't know! Do you mean the CPU is too good for the card or vice versa? I was thinking I might change the card in the near future, but it'll do for now.

I think the cpu is too good for the gpu. But it's fine if you might upgrade the gfx card at a later date.
Also looking at the psu i'd consider getting a better one. There were some cracking deals on Corsairs and Riotoro's with 10 year warranties. Not sure if they are still available.
Edited by: "m1keyp1key" 28th Feb
m1keyp1key28/02/2020 11:07

Also looking at the cpu i'd consider getting a better one. There were some …Also looking at the cpu i'd consider getting a better one. There were some cracking deals on Corsairs and Riotoro's with 10 year warranties. Not sure if they are still available.

Do you mean PSU?
ra78628/02/2020 11:11

Do you mean PSU?

Yep sorry, all these 3 letter abbreviations lol.
118luke28/02/2020 11:13

https://pc-builds.com/calculator/This agrees that the GPU is too weak for …https://pc-builds.com/calculator/This agrees that the GPU is too weak for the processor

Not a fan of 'calculators' as they fail to see the wider picture.
ra78628/02/2020 10:29

I've got laods of SSDs already. And a Windows 10 licence from another PC.

Window 10 locks to motherboard, so you can’t swap them...
118luke28/02/2020 11:13

https://pc-builds.com/calculator/This agrees that the GPU is too weak for …https://pc-builds.com/calculator/This agrees that the GPU is too weak for the processor

there is always a bottleneck somewhere
I really hope you don't mind me saying this; ra786; but this sounds like a case of running before you can walk. No disrespect intended but I think you need to do a little bit more 'investigation' - otherwise you are heading for disappointment. It would be awful if you put your system together and THEN find out something isn't compatible or you've got to fork out more money to get it to work. Have you also considered what cooling solution you would use on such a system?

I don't think we were ever to discover (from your original thread) why you were in such a hurry to get a machine working for the weekend? Is that still an issue? Perhaps a rethink is in order? I'm just saying to avoid your frustration level increasing!

All the best, Phsy.
What about swap the CPU to a 1600AF and upgrade the GPU. You could end up with a bottle neck but a cheap 3600 this time next year will be cheaper than an upgraded GPU down the line.
adamspencer9528/02/2020 12:01

there is always a bottleneck somewhere

But you can have a cost effective bottleneck rather than an expensive mistake.
Phsycronix28/02/2020 12:08

I really hope you don't mind me saying this; ra786; but this sounds like a …I really hope you don't mind me saying this; ra786; but this sounds like a case of running before you can walk. No disrespect intended but I think you need to do a little bit more 'investigation' - otherwise you are heading for disappointment. It would be awful if you put your system together and THEN find out something isn't compatible or you've got to fork out more money to get it to work. Have you also considered what cooling solution you would use on such a system?I don't think we were ever to discover (from your original thread) why you were in such a hurry to get a machine working for the weekend? Is that still an issue? Perhaps a rethink is in order? I'm just saying to avoid your frustration level increasing!All the best, Phsy.

I don't mind at all. Although contrary to what I may have come across as, I'm not a complete buffoon! I admittedly have not assembled A PC from scratch in about 5 years. And a lot changes in 5 years. Not familiar with Ryzen. And not really kept up with it.

I still am in a bit of a rush, and still don't have a lot of time, but I'll have to eat into some game time to get exactly what I want.

I have a Corsair Hydro H100 from another computer if the stock cooler is not good enough. And various fans and computer miscellany all over the place.

I don't actually play on PC that much, but I am meeting someone on the weekend who I have not seen for a very long time, and will not see again for a very long time, and we want to play some games together (with another computer that I have) Might sound trivial, but it's worth it for me.

I wanted at least one optical drive bay because I do burn a lot of DVDs and Blu rays for various projects. I know you can get external ones. They're not good. None of them. And I'm currently using a banger of a computer to do what I need to. So I was killing as many birds with as few stones as possible.
Edited by: "ra786" 28th Feb
Oneday7728/02/2020 12:09

What about swap the CPU to a 1600AF and upgrade the GPU. You could end up …What about swap the CPU to a 1600AF and upgrade the GPU. You could end up with a bottle neck but a cheap 3600 this time next year will be cheaper than an upgraded GPU down the line.

Still haven't ordered yet, there's a few hours window left. I was going to get an rtx 2060 instead. Would a 3600 still be overkill for that?
Bargainhead28/02/2020 11:54

Window 10 locks to motherboard, so you can’t swap them...

Really? I don't use Windows 10 much, but I have definitely done this before and not had an issue?
ra78628/02/2020 14:44

Really? I don't use Windows 10 much, but I have definitely done this …Really? I don't use Windows 10 much, but I have definitely done this before and not had an issue?

I ran into activation issues with my last build, the automated tool would not work due to the obvious motherboard change. Microsoft were happy to transfer the licence but requested the original Win 7 retail key which I've either lost or disposed of. Note: OEM keys are non-transferable and will likely be denied. This is something you can investigate and solve at a later date so don't worry about it spoiling your weekend.

You'll be okay using the included Wraith Stealth cooler though they're pretty noisy and don't have great thermals. If the Corsair H100 you own is AM4 compatible it's superior option but could be a nuisance to install in a Carbide 100R.
Edited by: "MBeeching" 28th Feb
ra78628/02/2020 14:43

Still haven't ordered yet, there's a few hours window left. I was going to …Still haven't ordered yet, there's a few hours window left. I was going to get an rtx 2060 instead. Would a 3600 still be overkill for that?

Yeah that will be fine.

I think the mismatch comment is probably referring to the fact that you were spending ~ £350 on GPU/CPU combined and this would be better spent on something like a 1600 AF ~ £90 and a RTX 2060 ~ £260.

Apart from that I would change the PSU to something like a Corsair CX450M (or a CX650M if you need it by tomorrow although you dont need a 650W PSU) which is about the same price but as its modular it makes cable management so much easier.
Edited by: "Gormond" 28th Feb
ra78628/02/2020 14:36

I don't mind at all. Although contrary to what I may have come across as, …I don't mind at all. Although contrary to what I may have come across as, I'm not a complete buffoon! I admittedly have not assembled A PC from scratch in about 5 years. And a lot changes in 5 years. Not familiar with Ryzen. And not really kept up with it.I still am in a bit of a rush, and still don't have a lot of time, but I'll have to eat into some game time to get exactly what I want.I have a Corsair Hydro H100 from another computer if the stock cooler is not good enough. And various fans and computer miscellany all over the place.I don't actually play on PC that much, but I am meeting someone on the weekend who I have not seen for a very long time, and will not see again for a very long time, and we want to play some games together (with another computer that I have) Might sound trivial, but it's worth it for me. I wanted at least one optical drive bay because I do burn a lot of DVDs and Blu rays for various projects. I know you can get external ones. They're not good. None of them. And I'm currently using a banger of a computer to do what I need to. So I was killing as many birds with as few stones as possible.

Glad to hear you're on top of things ra786. It is hard sometimes to gauge someone's "tech" level in text messages on a forum! It sounds good to be catching up with your friend too. I'm sure; computer or not; you'll still have a great time.

Glad you have the cooling issue covered as I was concerned that the case you chose only has ONE fan but you can obvs add more to aid ventilation.

Well, I guess you have everything in hand so I'll wish you good luck with your project build. Have a great weekend and do let us know how it all went.

Kind regards, Phsy.
m1keyp1key28/02/2020 14:14

But you can have a cost effective bottleneck rather than an expensive …But you can have a cost effective bottleneck rather than an expensive mistake.

that assumes the OP never wants to upgrade the PC

if you match everything exactly, as soon as you want to upgrade you basically need to throw the whole thing away and start again
ra78628/02/2020 14:44

But all the items are in stock and if I order today I can get it by …But all the items are in stock and if I order today I can get it by Saturday with prime.

Just be cautious on that,aspect over the last few days I have added items to my basket that say I would get it the next day if ordered in x hours x minutes only to go straight to basket and it tell me it will be 2 days not the next day.
Intrigued to know whether the build was successful and completed in time!
Bargainhead28/02/2020 10:09

MBeeching01/03/2020 16:27

Intrigued to know whether the build was successful and completed in time!

Gormond28/02/2020 15:23

Yeah that will be fine.I think the mismatch comment is probably referring …Yeah that will be fine.I think the mismatch comment is probably referring to the fact that you were spending ~ £350 on GPU/CPU combined and this would be better spent on something like a 1600 AF ~ £90 and a RTX 2060 ~ £260.Apart from that I would change the PSU to something like a Corsair CX450M (or a CX650M if you need it by tomorrow although you dont need a 650W PSU) which is about the same price but as its modular it makes cable management so much easier.

Phsycronix28/02/2020 10:44

Talk about cutting it fine, re786. Nothing like a last-minute "build" …Talk about cutting it fine, re786. Nothing like a last-minute "build" eh?Hope it goes well.

m1keyp1key28/02/2020 14:14

But you can have a cost effective bottleneck rather than an expensive …But you can have a cost effective bottleneck rather than an expensive mistake.

I quoted you all to get your attention. Hope you don't mind.

It all went amazingly well. Much more straightforward than I was expecting, and worked first time! I noticed there was no manual with the motherboard though which I thought was a bit tight. Is that a thing now? The manual that came with the flipping case was more detailed and useful than the pathetic quickstart sheet. They could've at least shown a diagram of the correct pins for power/reset/hdd indicator.

Even the PDF manual is confusing. When explaining the optimal memory configuration (it's A2 AND B2, but it doesn't say that, what it actually says is Dimma 2 [that's how it says it], and then Dimma, which is incorrect). And that was one of many gaffes.

The hardest part was the cable routing. That case (Carbide 100R) is not very good for that. But I made it work well enough and I do like the drive insertion system it has.

There was a minor panic when I recruited a young family member to help (thought it was a good opportunity to get them interested in something useful). I showed them how to place the CPU into the socket. Then I asked them if they wanted a go. And just as I was saying, "Be very careful, make sure you don't drop..." he drops it! So that was another panicked half hour of pin straightening with a knife! It wasn't too bad though, just a couple on the outer rows.
Then I let him push the RAM into place to give him a confidence boost.

The most laborious part (after tidy up time) was actually getting an operating system on there. I should have prepared all this the day before.

My lazy idea was to put Windows 7 on there (found a genuine DVD and key), then upgrade to 10. But it wouldn't recognise a USB keyboard and mouse. Then I downloaded Mint to download Windows 10 from there. But that was weird, the Microsoft website wouldn't recognise the USB stick. It was empty. Tried FAT 32, exFat and NTFS. Mint acknowledge it. Just the website wouldn't. So then I went old school and downloaded a DVD iso and loaded it that way. I knew having an optical drive would pay off! It's what I'm used to.

So about 2 hours to assemble, straighten CPU pins, and make all the cabling nice, and then probably another 3 hours with all the messing around to get windows 10 on there.

Happy overall. Got some decent game time in. And it was a good laugh from start to finish.

I could have shaved off some money if I'd shopped around.
Edited by: "ra786" 2nd Mar
A couple of operational images:

Mission Briefing:
40024761-uVXMo.jpg
Mission accomplished:

40024763-G0umG.jpg

40024763-G6PHx.jpg
My phone isn't great. It actually looks a lot nicer. The indicators are not that bright and are quite understated actually, a gentle white power circle symbol. And it's more of a textured black colour, a bit like brushed metal which isn't coming out in the picture.

That optical drive looks a bit fugly if I'm honest. So I think I'll paint it all black at some point. And I might chuck in a couple of RGB fans too. Why not?!
Edited by: "ra786" 2nd Mar
ra78602/03/2020 04:33

I quoted you all to get your attention. Hope you don't mind.

Not at all, hearing an end to a story makes a refreshing change! I've encountered a few of the curious issues raised:

My MSI Mortar B450 board did include a printed manual which I found quite surprising, it's fairly substantial and I reckon the money could be better spent elsewhere. One of those would be a properly labelled adaptor for the front panel connector - I'm amazed these handy devices have been seemingly discontinued by board manufacturers.

I've also experienced the issue with the Windows MCT not recognising particular USB drives, possibly a Sandisk in my situation. Although I've yet to find a good explanation it seems relatively common.

Have you updated the bios to 7B86vM5, that should include AMD's AGESA 1.0.0.4 update. I found POST/Boot speeds improved dramatically with each revision.
Really pleased to hear everything went (relatively) easy for you. Most of the time it IS the software side of things that causes the most problems! I bet you were proper chuffed when you fired it up and it worked, eh?

Yes, the case might not be "pretty" but who cares right? It's functional and covered exactly what you needed it to. I've never really considered cases for looks but saying that, I was the first person in our region to buy one of those ridiculous cases that looked like a Nokia mobile phone! I still have it too. I thought it was quite cool at the time but now it's just cheesy.

Cheers for the pics and the update, ra786. I hope it serves you well.

Kind regards, Phsy.
MBeeching02/03/2020 14:43

Not at all, hearing an end to a story makes a refreshing change! I've …Not at all, hearing an end to a story makes a refreshing change! I've encountered a few of the curious issues raised:My MSI Mortar B450 board did include a printed manual which I found quite surprising, it's fairly substantial and I reckon the money could be better spent elsewhere. One of those would be a properly labelled adaptor for the front panel connector - I'm amazed these handy devices have been seemingly discontinued by board manufacturers.I've also experienced the issue with the Windows MCT not recognising particular USB drives, possibly a Sandisk in my situation. Although I've yet to find a good explanation it seems relatively common.Have you updated the bios to 7B86vM5, that should include AMD's AGESA 1.0.0.4 update. I found POST/Boot speeds improved dramatically with each revision.

Regarding the manual thing, the last motherboard I bought new was a cheap Asus (can't remember which) it was AM3 (that's ages ago, where does the time go), and that too had a very comprehensive manual.

But I don't know why no one's bothered making the front panel connector points more easily recognisable. USB is fairly easy to identify. But power and reset is pretty essential. It does label a set of pins on the board in microscopic writing, but it doesn't show polarity.

Just a straight up diagram of the motherboard would have helped. I mean it was fairly straightforward once I had the PDF manual loaded up on phone.

Thanks for the bios update reminder/link.
I checked with CPU-Z and the AGESA 1.0.0.4 update seems to be already there. But I'll try an update anyway next time I'm not half asleep.

And a question. Is there any point registering with MSI? It asked me to do so when I looked at the DVD that came with it.
Edited by: "ra786" 3rd Mar
Phsycronix02/03/2020 17:24

Really pleased to hear everything went (relatively) easy for you. Most of …Really pleased to hear everything went (relatively) easy for you. Most of the time it IS the software side of things that causes the most problems! I bet you were proper chuffed when you fired it up and it worked, eh?Yes, the case might not be "pretty" but who cares right? It's functional and covered exactly what you needed it to. I've never really considered cases for looks but saying that, I was the first person in our region to buy one of those ridiculous cases that looked like a Nokia mobile phone! I still have it too. I thought it was quite cool at the time but now it's just cheesy. Cheers for the pics and the update, ra786. I hope it serves you well.Kind regards, Phsy.

I did a victory lap around the living room when I saw the BIOS screen.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Discussions

Top Merchants