Unfortunately, this discussion is no longer valid
Expired

Is this easy to fix ? ( ELECTRICIAN)

Posted 11th Sep
3541633-kLiCY.jpg

As non electrician is this easy to fix ?
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
Djpal12311/09/2020 14:00

Thanks

You can tell your age by this question once upon a time you had to put your own plug on loads of things. Good reminder of something else I need to teach the kids.
Buy a new plug and fit it. Very easy to do. Youtube videos can help if you are stuck with the colours.
17 Comments
Buy a new plug and fit it. Very easy to do. Youtube videos can help if you are stuck with the colours.
It is very easy to do, but please be careful when stripping the cables.
Always strip extra cable from the outer black sleeve. When terminating in the plug you can pull the live, neutral and earth poles up and out slightly to screw in the new wires, this way you will have a nice almost perfect length of cable.
Djpal12311/09/2020 14:00

Thanks

You can tell your age by this question once upon a time you had to put your own plug on loads of things. Good reminder of something else I need to teach the kids.
eslick11/09/2020 14:17

You can tell your age by this question once upon a time you had to put …You can tell your age by this question once upon a time you had to put your own plug on loads of things. Good reminder of something else I need to teach the kids.

So true
eslick11/09/2020 14:17

You can tell your age by this question once upon a time you had to put …You can tell your age by this question once upon a time you had to put your own plug on loads of things. Good reminder of something else I need to teach the kids.

bLue to the Left, bRown to the Right.
Cabronita11/09/2020 14:57

ah but where does earth go, you will confuse people now
Used to kids teach how to fit a plug in school, scary that a whole generation now don't know how to change a plug.....
What is this attached to and what use is it put to and in what environment?

Agree with everyone about how easy it is to swap a plug, but for many things these days I prefer to replace the entire cable so that you get another fully moulded plug on the end.
Uridium11/09/2020 15:42

Used to kids teach how to fit a plug in school, scary that a whole …Used to kids teach how to fit a plug in school, scary that a whole generation now don't know how to change a plug.....

...ask a child if they wear a wristwatch - child responds: "it's a single function device"!

"Change a plug" - they would just buy a whole new cable, right?
eslick11/09/2020 14:59

ah but where does earth go, you will confuse people now

eArth: Above
Edited by: "MadeDixonsCry" 11th Sep
Cabronita11/09/2020 14:57

Or even simpler BLue = Bottom Left and BRown =Bottom Right
Uridium11/09/2020 15:42

Used to kids teach how to fit a plug in school, scary that a whole …Used to kids teach how to fit a plug in school, scary that a whole generation now don't know how to change a plug.....

At one time it was a necessity as all electrical products were sold with no plugs fitted, the law changed sometime in the 80s I think.

I definitely wasn't taught it at school in the 80s but my dad showed me how to to wire a plug when I was a kid.
spoo11/09/2020 16:39

At one time it was a necessity as all electrical products were sold with …At one time it was a necessity as all electrical products were sold with no plugs fitted, the law changed sometime in the 80s I think. I definitely wasn't taught it at school in the 80s but my dad showed me how to to wire a plug when I was a kid.

Would have been about 87\88 I was taught this at school In a Physics lesson.

It's a vital life skill I think even now, like changing a car wheel if your a driver.(again sadly many don't know how)

I fitted a plug last only last week. outbuilding attached to my house has no mains socket so drilled hole into main house through adjoining wall, snipped the fitted plug off the freezer, fed the cable through, trimmed cable and refitted the plug.
spoo11/09/2020 16:39

At one time it was a necessity as all electrical products were sold with …At one time it was a necessity as all electrical products were sold with no plugs fitted, the law changed sometime in the 80s I think. I definitely wasn't taught it at school in the 80s but my dad showed me how to to wire a plug when I was a kid.

Might not have been taught in all schools but they definitely still sold them in the late 80s without plugs. Google isn’t showing the exact date but looks like regulations changed in 1994 to make all items have to have a plug. Was some legislation in 87 but it’s not clear if that was the start of the process, but know for sure that until early 90s I remember putting plugs on new appliances even then.
Try asking a child.under twelve to tell the time using an analogue clock!
Post a comment
@
    Text