Groups

Is this Ebay transaction normal?

Yay!! I have sold my first item on Ebay (well 4 of the same item).

Surprisingly the buyer has asked me to send them to 4 different addresses. He has specifically asked NOT to include any invoice or price details.

When I googled this chaps details. Apparently he is in China and selling the same Items I was selling for slightly higher price. I was happy to match his best offer, so that is not a problem and I am not feeling the pinch.

But what I am amazed is that although this is an ingenious way of making money without even owning the product, is this normal on Ebay?

38 Comments

If he didn't pay for them all individually with different addresses on then I wouldn't send them.

The issue is you won't be protected if you send to the addresses (I think) from PayPal. I might be wrong but I thought verified addresses of the buyer is only protected?

No not normal and risk him claiming you never sent and you will have no proof of postage to his address

Original Poster

deb8z

If he didn't pay for them all individually with different addresses on … If he didn't pay for them all individually with different addresses on then I wouldn't send them.

Thanks Deb8z. I do not understand what you mean. Apologies!!

Original Poster

djnaff

No not normal and risk him claiming you never sent and you will have no … No not normal and risk him claiming you never sent and you will have no proof of postage to his address

The item I am sending is via recorded delivery.

I haven't heard of it before but I rarely use it for selling.

Interesting reading the other comments.. As the buyer is the one who asked for these to be sent elsewhere I don't see how this could cause problems?

jaykaygeetoo

The item I am sending is via recorded delivery.

Yes but that would be to a completely different address. eBay would side with the buyer. Don't do it is my advice.

As a seller you are only protected through paypal against any potential claims against you if you sent the item to the verified address on the original transcation
    So whilst it seems like its no issue for you but if he ends up claiming that you never sent the item, then you might be liable to refund him regardless
    Edited by: "Mariatab" 15th Nov 2016

You will only be covered if you send to the address provided with the sale. I am almost certain this is the only way to be covered by Paypal.

£49.99 say's the item's sold are the Mini NES's...

What they are doing is called drop shipping. They may be in China but they act as the middle guy
    and sell the item without possession of the product.

What is the value of the sales?. Wouldn't risk it personally but its quite common.

Original Poster

Thank you all.
    How do I cancel the sale then?
    Will I end up receiving a negative rating?

Banned

I think if you send these 4 items to different addresses these will probably be your first and last sales on eBay when you learn there are so many tricks buyers use to not pay for items is mine blowing.goodluck.

Original Poster

im_chuckbass

£49.99 say's the item's sold are the Mini NES's...

Dont know what that is, but no it isn't.

Original Poster

shabbird

What they are doing is called drop shipping. They may be in China but … What they are doing is called drop shipping. They may be in China but they act as the middle guyand sell the item without possession of the product. What is the value of the sales?. Wouldn't risk it personally but its quite common.

£10 per item and he is selling it for £15 each.

What are the eligibility requirements for PayPal seller protection?

You must meet all of these requirements to be covered:

The item purchased must be a physical, tangible good.
    The transaction must be marked by PayPal as eligible or partially eligible for PayPal seller protection on your Account “Transaction Details” page. If it is marked eligible, protection for both Unauthorised Payments and Item Not Received will apply. If it is marked partially eligible, protection for only Item Not Received will apply.
    Post the item to the shipping address on the “Transaction Details” page. If the item is delivered in person or if the Payment Recipient posts the item to a different address (for example, if the buyer asks that you send to another address on the basis that it is a “work address” or a “gift” address) then you will not be eligible for re-imbursement under the terms of the programme.
    Edited by: "Domthedonkey" 15th Nov 2016

He should have bought them all separate and chose the addresses he wanted you to send to, ONLY send to the address that is on the ebay address, you can check it by clicking print postage label. i only send tracked on ebay.

Original Poster

bruntz1972

I think if you send these 4 items to different addresses these will … I think if you send these 4 items to different addresses these will probably be your first and last sales on eBay when you learn there are so many tricks buyers use to not pay for items is mine blowing.goodluck.

Thank you for the advice. Appreciate it.

Original Poster

You wonderful members are very helpful. Thank you.

How can I cancel the transaction without getting negative feedback?

jaykaygeetoo

£10 per item and he is selling it for £15 each.

Contact ebay and tell them the situation. Its against their rules so will cancel the auction and stop you getting a negative.

click me
    Edited by: "shabbird" 15th Nov 2016

Original Poster

shabbird

Contact ebay and tell them the situation. Its against their rules so will … Contact ebay and tell them the situation. Its against their rules so will cancel the auction and stop you getting a negative.

Thank you once again for your help.

jaykaygeetoo

You wonderful members are very helpful. Thank you.How can I cancel the … You wonderful members are very helpful. Thank you.How can I cancel the transaction without getting negative feedback?

id ring ebay and try and enplane to them, and try and get them to cancel it,

jaykaygeetoo

Thank you once again for your help.

No problem. good luck in sorting this. Its common but better you don't
    put yourself at risk.

Original Poster

shabbird

No problem. good luck in sorting this. Its common but better you don't … No problem. good luck in sorting this. Its common but better you don't put yourself at risk.

Its a learning experience. Have not used Ebay exactly for this reason.

You need to send to the address attached to the buyers Paypal account, if don't you're not protected.

Someone tried to do this to me as well. eBay/PayPal always say only send to the verified address!

Its happened to me in the past. Another seller or buyer has sold the same item to another buyer for a higher price and instead of sending it to them they ask u to send it forward to save them postage fees and sellers fees. It a risk but it's only happened to me once but I had no issues. But PayPal will only cover u if u send it to the address they have on there system. for 4 items I would give this transaction a miss unless they paid through bank transfer.

Original Poster

RiverDragon8

You need to send to the address attached to the buyers Paypal account, if … You need to send to the address attached to the buyers Paypal account, if don't you're not protected.

surfinbird

Someone tried to do this to me as well. eBay/PayPal always say only send … Someone tried to do this to me as well. eBay/PayPal always say only send to the verified address!

kash2013

Its happened to me in the past. Another seller or buyer has sold the same … Its happened to me in the past. Another seller or buyer has sold the same item to another buyer for a higher price and instead of sending it to them they ask u to send it forward to save them postage fees and sellers fees. It a risk but it's only happened to me once but I had no issues. But PayPal will only cover u if u send it to the address they have on there system. for 4 items I would give this transaction a miss unless they paid through bank transfer.

Thank you all.
    I have decided against it, but this person is fighting their case all guns blazing.

Did you ring Ebay OP ?

Op, you need to cancel the item and give the reason - "the buyer wants to cancel or there is an issue with the address" - obviously it's the second part of that statement that is the reason here.

Go to the transaction in your eBay. If you click into the action menu it will bring up a dropdown. The cancel option is in there. Alternatively go to the resolution centre and input the item number.

If you cancel through eBay for that reason, you won't get a defect and the refund will be done automatically. You will get your final value fees back, but lose the 20p Paypal transaction fee.

The buyer will still be able to leave feedback but the purchase will move from his active purchases to his cancellations and he may not easily find a way to leave feedback - it's more difficult to find once it's cancelled.

In future. When someone buys something, send it to the address on the Paypal transaction and not one they give you by message. Use a tracked service - Hermes may be cheaper than Royal Mail. Recorded has been replaced by Signed For and isn't totally reliable to get a proof of delivery. Proof of delivery is what you need to protect your money if the buyer claims they haven't received the item. Have a look at some of the carrier agents, ParcelMonkey or Parcel2go. There are others and I'm sure the good people on here will have recommends too.

Original Poster

deb8z

Did you ring Ebay OP ?

Yes, thank you for that suggestion.
    They said message the buyer so there is proof of communication from my side, in case they leave a negative feedback. Tell them that I will only send to the registered address and nowhere else.
    So I think that is fair enough.

Original Poster

windym

Op, you need to cancel the item and give the reason - "the buyer wants to … Op, you need to cancel the item and give the reason - "the buyer wants to cancel or there is an issue with the address" - obviously it's the second part of that statement that is the reason here. Go to the transaction in your eBay. If you click into the action menu it will bring up a dropdown. The cancel option is in there. Alternatively go to the resolution centre and input the item number.If you cancel through eBay for that reason, you won't get a defect and the refund will be done automatically. You will get your final value fees back, but lose the 20p Paypal transaction fee.The buyer will still be able to leave feedback but the purchase will move from his active purchases to his cancellations and he may not easily find a way to leave feedback - it's more difficult to find once it's cancelled. In future. When someone buys something, send it to the address on the Paypal transaction and not one they give you by message. Use a tracked service - Hermes may be cheaper than Royal Mail. Recorded has been replaced by Signed For and isn't totally reliable to get a proof of delivery. Proof of delivery is what you need to protect your money if the buyer claims they haven't received the item. Have a look at some of the carrier agents, ParcelMonkey or Parcel2go. There are others and I'm sure the good people on here will have recommends too.

When I spoke to Ebay, they said the Negative comment will be removed if I have followed their guidelines, which now I have.

Original Poster

The messages from the buyer have gone from threatening to emotional now.

jaykaygeetoo

Yes, thank you for that suggestion.They said message the buyer so there … Yes, thank you for that suggestion.They said message the buyer so there is proof of communication from my side, in case they leave a negative feedback. Tell them that I will only send to the registered address and nowhere else.So I think that is fair enough.

I hoped they would sort it out for you being a new seller,did Ebay cancel the transaction for you,if not you will have to follow the steps in post 30.

Original Poster

deb8z

I hoped they would sort it out for you being a new seller,did Ebay cancel … I hoped they would sort it out for you being a new seller,did Ebay cancel the transaction for you,if not you will have to follow the steps in post 30.

Ebay said, give the seller an opportunity to prove themselves. They might be genuine. oO
    If they dont by noon, I will action whats suggested by @windym

jaykaygeetoo

The messages from the buyer have gone from threatening to emotional now.

Don't reply to them it will just go on and on otherwise,it happens all the time unfortunately.

Type block buyer into the help section and it will take you to where you can add the buyers username to your blocked bidder list so they can't buy anything from you again.

Original Poster

deb8z

Don't reply to them it will just go on and on otherwise,it happens all … Don't reply to them it will just go on and on otherwise,it happens all the time unfortunately.Type block buyer into the help section and it will take you to where you can add the buyers username to your blocked bidder list so they can't buy anything from you again.

Thank you. Done!

Original Poster

There are so many good responses on this thread who have helped.
    Why can I not mark more than one as best answer? Very unfair that I cannot. Time for code change?
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Win a Free minion usb stick77
      2. Tv choice magazine Issue 391313
      3. Magazine competitions - Issue 38 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk1717
      4. totalev.com comp - win an electric car2020

See more discussions