Is this expensive?

Found 21st Oct 2017
Hi guys, need a new radiator in one of the bedrooms and been given this quote. I don't know anything about plumbing or whether this is a decent price or not. any opinions?
2815598-AVSum.jpg
Community Updates
Ask
26 Comments
To me that sounds exorbitant. My plumber supplied and fitted a thermostatic shower and fitted two radiators for £300 last year. I suppose it depends on where you live too
Plumbers/Gas services generally charge 100% labour on top of parts costs. Given the radiator is roughly £50 for single panel or £90 for double panel (I assume yours is single panel, hence why he has not stated). Lockshield roughly £10-15. Inhibitor £5. Thats ~ £70 for single panel radiator in parts or £110 for double. TBH I have never heard of a radiator extension, but then again I'm not a plumber or gas engineer ( I assume this is just a metal plate in the style of the radiator that actually has no function).

I would say it probably isnt a million miles off, but why not get a second or third quote in to make sure. No need to go with the first person.
Thanks , googling radiator extension looks just like a short pipe roughly less than a tenner. Think I will get another quote. I seen that the rad is about £50
radiator costs about £90 at most and the install could cost £150 so not too expensive if you think of the labour cost. others will say that £150 is too much to fit a radiator but I would expect to pay this for getting a radiator fitted.

i got a quote from british gas who quoted £192 for the radiator and £50 for labour. i think they have tried to pull the wool over my eyes by pretending that their labour cost is really cheap!
Sorry should have added it's to replace a rad rather that fit a new one and pipes etc.. in case that makes a difference
Not looked but is it possible to get a 450 X 1300 radiator as that looks like it could save some money on the extension? The quote just says that manufacturer doesn't make a rad that size.
You could do it yourself for the cost of just the parts - guess about £70.

If you need to employ someone they need to order the radiator, pick it up, travel to your property and fit it (which will include draining the system down and refilling/commissioning) - £150 for all that I think is reasonable.

You might find someone to do it cheaper but they're not ripping you off.
Edited by: "Van1973" 21st Oct 2017
Van19738 m ago

You could do it yourself for the cost of just the parts - guess about …You could do it yourself for the cost of just the parts - guess about £70.If you need to employ someone they need to order the radiator, pick it up, travel to your property and fit it (which will include draining the system down and refilling/commissioning) - £150 for all that I think is reasonable. You might find someone to do it cheaper but they're not ripping you off.

would they need to drain the system down to replace a radiator? i would expect a simple swap over and re-pressurise the boiler? british gas quoted 30 minutes labour for the replacement work.
mutley118 m ago

would they need to drain the system down to replace a radiator? i would …would they need to drain the system down to replace a radiator? i would expect a simple swap over and re-pressurise the boiler? british gas quoted 30 minutes labour for the replacement work.

If they're changing the valves as per the quote they'll either need to drain down - or freeze the pipes (which might need the floorboards up).
Van197315 m ago

If they're changing the valves as per the quote they'll either need to …If they're changing the valves as per the quote they'll either need to drain down - or freeze the pipes (which might need the floorboards up).

is there that much water in a central heating system? i would have thought that it would only be dripping so they could just put a pan under when they change the valve? if what you say is correct then 30 minutes of labour quoted by british gas is way short of how long it will take for the job.
mutley17 m ago

is there that much water in a central heating system? i would have …is there that much water in a central heating system? i would have thought that it would only be dripping so they could just put a pan under when they change the valve? if what you say is correct then 30 minutes of labour quoted by british gas is way short of how long it will take for the job.

If you are just changing just the radiator using the existing valves there is no need to drain the whole system down - just close the valves.

However, if replacing the valves as well the system needs to be drained - or some other isolation provided.

30 mins labour would be for changing a like for like radiator, existing valves and hanging fittings.
Which city is this in, city can have a big impact on price, radiators can cost anywhere from £40 or £50 up, family is in the gas and beating business, I guess the £150 would be a full days labour,? What if you agreed on £25 an hour or so for labour
Manny5045 m ago

Which city is this in, city can have a big impact on price, radiators can …Which city is this in, city can have a big impact on price, radiators can cost anywhere from £40 or £50 up, family is in the gas and beating business, I guess the £150 would be a full days labour,? What if you agreed on £25 an hour or so for labour

in london plumbers charge £250 for a full day labour so £150 is half day's rate.
Ye I don't live in a city at all. Think I'll get another quote this week
richje1008 m ago

Ye I don't live in a city at all. Think I'll get another quote this week

you should always get 3 quotes for any job if you can
Wickes / Toolstation sell radiators and they are quite cheap. Put your job on My Builder and they will reply with 3 or 4 quotes.
Radiator is only £42 including trv so £180 labour for an easy quick job seems excessive

screwfix.com/p/k…LUw
Thanks guys. I've texted him back saying I've budgeted around £150 will see what his response is.
the inclusion of inhibitor says he is planning to drain the system down.
When valves are replaced sometimes it's not possible to get a seal on the old fitting and might even need a small section of pipe replaced, think most will count for this if providing a quote rather than an estimate.
maddogb44 m ago

the inclusion of inhibitor says he is planning to drain the system …the inclusion of inhibitor says he is planning to drain the system down.When valves are replaced sometimes it's not possible to get a seal on the old fitting and might even need a small section of pipe replaced, think most will count for this if providing a quote rather than an estimate.

I've had 2 out this evening so will know their costs sometime tomorrow
richje10023 h, 29 m ago

I've had 2 out this evening so will know their costs sometime tomorrow

Well?...

You can't keep us in suspense like this! How much? Lol
barriey1 h, 29 m ago

Well?...You can't keep us in suspense like this! How much? Lol

Haha. Only had the one back at £170 for 450x1200 rad but getting me price for 400x1200. Just waiting on the 2nd
And the 2nd plumber £150 who will be coming back monday to do the work.
richje1002 m ago

And the 2nd plumber £150 who will be coming back monday to do the work.

that's quite a saving from the first quote you had, just goes to show it's worth shopping around.
barriey13 m ago

that's quite a saving from the first quote you had, just goes to show … that's quite a saving from the first quote you had, just goes to show it's worth shopping around.

Definitely mate. Thumbs up to the advice on here
Last update, 5 radiators fitted in the end £440.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants