Groups

Is this fixable? (bicycle headset)

The ball bearings from the section of the headset that attaches to the frame have spilled out. Do I fix it by collecting all the ball bearings and realigning them into a ring at the top and bottom?

9 Comments

make sure you get them all, clean all the crud off them and repack with grease

Yeah , very fixable . Do as suggested in post one , or if you have lost any , you can buy them .Place a ring of grease around the ball bearing ring and place the bearings in and re-tighten. I've recently had to do this with bearings on the wheel spindles of my bike as they were dry , all good now.

Original Poster

Are the ball bearings cheap? Because there are some many of them, I am afraid of loosing one.

Most high streets have a cycle shop or maybe Halfords , you could always take one of your balls ! [ ooh Mrs ] to the shop and ask .

Original Poster

Sorry I dont know what I need to buy to replace them. Is it something off this page?

chainreactioncycles.com/Sea…ngs

no, they seem to be enclosed type bearings ,most of the bikes I've ever had used the loose ball bearings :

weldtite.co.uk/pro…spx

they are in different sizes ,so it's much better to take one of yours [off the bike ] as a pattern

Banned

or if you can't be bothered just replace the headset, much harder and more expensive but you don't have to clean all the bearings

they come in different sizes

chainreactioncycles.com/Sea…set
    Edited by: "lumoruk" 7th Feb 2011

Original Poster

Is it really necessary for all this gear to install a headset?

youtube.com/wat…ynM

Banned

Civic EG6

Is it really necessary for all this gear to install a … Is it really necessary for all this gear to install a headset?http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoryphbNynM

other video youtube.com/wat…ted

though I've never seen that tool before, might go look for one as it could come in handy in my man box. I used a hammer and screw driver to do mine
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Localphone VOIP long distance app broken (not ios11 compatible)34
      2. Amazon prime subscribe & save46
      3. Decent Mp3 Player?22
      4. What's the most impressive 4k / UHD film you have seen at home?610

See more discussions