Is this HP elitebook any good? Or should i be looking at xps or thinkpads?

Posted 4th Jul
HP EliteBook 850 G6 15.6" UHD Laptop with i7
store.hp.com/UKS…DEF

Obviously that is awaiting stock but just wondering if it is a good buy for an all round laptop or can i get better while staying under £1500 ish?

Not sure if the UHD is worth it compared to a HD will it impact the battery in a big way or minimal?

There is also the 855 g7 with Ryzen coming out should i wait for that?
Community Updates
Ask
5 Comments
I have the G5 version as my work laptop, good machine, nice and fast but be aware it's pretty large. Only just fits in most laptop bags. Mines travelled all over and never let me down (well apart from the time I was walking through a sliding door in a datacentre with the laptop held out in front of me and the door closed, smashed the screen and bent the plastic shell, the screen was easily replaced but getting the plastic parts was tricky so I now have a laptop with a slightly curved screen (lol))

Mine is 16Gb, 512Gb SSD, 1080p

Depends what you are using it for on the Screen res question, for work use I think 1080p is more than enough....

If I was buying for other usage reasons though I'd probably look at something else, its a very work focused device, not really suited to gaming or heavy movie viewing. Unless I'm working I never touch it, At home I always grab my HP x360 14" Chromebook, faster, better battery life and a better all rounder.
Edited by: "Uridium" 4th Jul
Uridium04/07/2020 15:38

I have the G5 version as my work laptop, good machine, nice and fast but …I have the G5 version as my work laptop, good machine, nice and fast but be aware it's pretty large. Only just fits in most laptop bags. Mines travelled all over and never let me down (well apart from the time I was walking through a sliding door in a datacentre with the laptop held out in front of me and the door closed, smashed the screen and bent the plastic shell, the screen was easily replaced but getting the plastic parts was tricky so I now have a laptop with a slightly curved screen (lol)) Mine is 16Gb, 512Gb SSD, 1080pDepends what you are using it for on the Screen res question, for work use I think 1080p is more than enough....If I was buying for other usage reasons though I'd probably look at something else, its a very work focused device, not really suited to gaming or heavy movie viewing. Unless I'm working I never touch it, At home I always grab my HP x360 14" Chromebook, faster, better battery life and a better all rounder.

Sounds like you are in the same line of business as me.

This laptop is also for work.

If you could choose an ideal laptop for work at the min what would you pick?

Notice the xps's don't have ethernet and traditional USB ports which is a pain in the ass for network stuff
Latitude would be Dell's equivalent to Elitebook/Thinkpad rather than XPS.
EndlessWaves04/07/2020 18:33

Latitude would be Dell's equivalent to Elitebook/Thinkpad rather than XPS.

What is the xps line is that the next step up?
MrHappyGilmore04/07/2020 16:11

Sounds like you are in the same line of business as me. This laptop is …Sounds like you are in the same line of business as me. This laptop is also for work.If you could choose an ideal laptop for work at the min what would you pick?Notice the xps's don't have ethernet and traditional USB ports which is a pain in the ass for network stuff

For work use I'd probably go with the 850 again but that's only because I wouldn't be paying for it

If it was my own money I would be having a good look round at what else was available, maybe some of the HP Spectre range
Post a comment
@
    Text