Are these HP /Honor laptops any good? And what’s best i5 or ryzen 5 processor

Posted 23rd Aug
Haven’t got a clue about laptops but want a decent little good looking lightweight laptop for my uni work.
Is this any good please?
Like this HP but also like the Honor MagicBook and it’s now £449 at John Lewis.
Which is best please?

johnlewis.com/hon…097

store.hp.com/UKStore/Merch/Product.aspx?id=8KU32EA&opt=ABU&sel=NTB
Community Updates
Ask
6 Comments
I have a Ryzen 5 in my new Acer and I'm delighted with how it's ran so far. I'm a college lecturer so needed to upgrade for remote working to use recording software to create videos etc. I'm pleased with it.
The performance difference between the processors is negligible (although if you want to game a little, the iGPU on the Ryzen is better than the Intel graphics). It's like 10% difference in benchmarks cpubenchmark.net/com…558

I have the Huawei Matebook D 14 (which is pretty much identical to the Magicbook except outside apperance) and it works great, the size and weight is perfect. It handles everything I use it for fine, some music production, photoshop, lightroom, some light gaming (Civ VI).

One advantage of the Magicbook over the HP is it charges via USB-C, so you get a compact 65W fast charger in the box, don't have to haul around hefty power supply and the Magicbook charger can be used to charge any other type C devices you have, Smartphone, Nintendo Switch etc.

Downsides of the Magicbook are the webcam is hidden under a function row key, so angle isn't particularly flattering. It also doesn't have a built in SD card reader, so you either have to connect things up via USB or carry a USB SD card reader.
splatsplatsplat23/08/2020 11:12

I'd buy neither though the HP is faster …I'd buy neither though the HP is faster https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/AMD-Ryzen-5-3500U-vs-Intel-Core-i5-1035G1/m760067vsm895407I'm looking at one on Scan with the same cpu as the HP, but £150 cheaper https://www.scan.co.uk/products/156-asus-x509ja-ej028t-slate-gray-fhd-i5-1035g1-intel-hd-graphics-520-8gb-ddr4-256gb-nvme-ssd-win-10?gclid=Cj0KCQjwp4j6BRCRARIsAGq4yMECwueYgbWdi7cKYn2t4nh4cROKng-jRnJ6hKmXYVgai9qSRAs6r4caAozIEALw_wcB

Ooh that’s a nice one. Thanks for the link 🏻 are ASUS a decent make?
traythegreat23/08/2020 12:28

Ooh that’s a nice one. Thanks for the link 🏻 are ASUS a decent m …Ooh that’s a nice one. Thanks for the link 🏻 are ASUS a decent make?

That laptop compared to the Magicbook, the ASUS is made of plastic and feels cheap, where the Magicbook is made from metal and feels very sturdy.
The ASUS also has a tiny battery (36WH) claiming 4-5 hours use and the Magicbook (56Wh battery) will get close to 8 hours depending on use.
It's also not very clear what type of screen is being used in the ASUS as it seems to depend on configuration but most seem to be poor TN panels and the Magicbook has a fairly decent IPS panel.

Also in the pros of the Magicbook, I forget to mention the fingerprint reader in the power button so logging in to WIndows is super easy.
spruceyb23/08/2020 13:02

That laptop compared to the Magicbook, the ASUS is made of plastic and …That laptop compared to the Magicbook, the ASUS is made of plastic and feels cheap, where the Magicbook is made from metal and feels very sturdy.The ASUS also has a tiny battery (36WH) claiming 4-5 hours use and the Magicbook (56Wh battery) will get close to 8 hours depending on use.It's also not very clear what type of screen is being used in the ASUS as it seems to depend on configuration but most seem to be poor TN panels and the Magicbook has a fairly decent IPS panel.Also in the pros of the Magicbook, I forget to mention the fingerprint reader in the power button so logging in to WIndows is super easy.

Think it’s gonna have to be the MagicBook. Especially as it’s £449 ATM at John Lewis with 3 yr guarantee 🏻
Post a comment
@
    Text