Is this is a System boiler or Regular boiler...? can you advise please...?

Posted 18th Dec 2019
Is this is a System boiler or Regular boiler...?3368517-MBmTZ.jpg3368517-7CAgw.jpg3368517-BL53m.jpg3368517-ck8Bf.jpg
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

30 Comments
Regular
themorgatron18/12/2019 18:21

Regular

Thanks, bit more explanation please...? I thought this is system..?
Pump, expansion vessel and other associated bits are external to the boiler.

You have a sealed central heating system.
That’s your unvented hot water cylinder, but looking at the setup you’ve got a system boiler there
macmiah18/12/2019 18:31

That’s your unvented hot water cylinder, but looking at the setup you’ve go …That’s your unvented hot water cylinder, but looking at the setup you’ve got a system boiler there

Thanks, Yes that's what confusing me.. I think the boiler is a system boiler and it also has the tanks like a regular boiler.... Now I am looking at replacing. what should I go for...? Why do the old installer installed the system boiler...?
themorgatron18/12/2019 18:30

Pump, expansion vessel and other associated bits are external to the …Pump, expansion vessel and other associated bits are external to the boiler.You have a sealed central heating system.

Thanks, Just confused as this is a regular or system as the Boiler is system and the setup is the regular....
a.19831118/12/2019 18:44

Thanks, Just confused as this is a regular or system as the Boiler is …Thanks, Just confused as this is a regular or system as the Boiler is system and the setup is the regular....

You have a regular (heat only) boiler. The heating is a sealed system, probably where the confusion lies.

If you're replacing the boiler get the installers to provide quotes for both system and regular boilers, then compare the prices.

In all honesty it's 50/50 what I would recommend, there's benefits and drawbacks to installing both. If I were quoting I'd probably recommend fitting a system boiler but keeping the additional external expansion vessel.
themorgatron18/12/2019 18:54

You have a regular (heat only) boiler. The heating is a sealed system, …You have a regular (heat only) boiler. The heating is a sealed system, probably where the confusion lies.If you're replacing the boiler get the installers to provide quotes for both system and regular boilers, then compare the prices.In all honesty it's 50/50 what I would recommend, there's benefits and drawbacks to installing both. If I were quoting I'd probably recommend fitting a system boiler but keeping the additional external expansion vessel.

Hi Thanks, Looking at the options from Boxt Worcester Bosch Greenstar 15Ri (Regular) for 1860 or a Worcester Bosch Greenstar 15i (System) for 2090... Not sure what Should I be going for... some one around my local is Quoting about 2400 for greenstar 15i
Boxt will throw your boiler on the wall in a day, unfortunately people regard this as a good thing so will write 5* reviews. Does the quote include control upgrades?

You're install is really straightforward. I'm confident I could beat the Boxt price using better components, and installed to a much higher standard, whilst still making a decent living (£1200 materials, £300/day labour). Look on Intergas and get a platinum installer for another quote.
themorgatron18/12/2019 19:26

Boxt will throw your boiler on the wall in a day, unfortunately people …Boxt will throw your boiler on the wall in a day, unfortunately people regard this as a good thing so will write 5* reviews. Does the quote include control upgrades?You're install is really straightforward. I'm confident I could beat the Boxt price using better components, and installed to a much higher standard, whilst still making a decent living (£1200 materials, £300/day labour). Look on Intergas and get a platinum installer for another quote.

Dont think I need any control upgrades.. I have Hive.. I totally agree what you mean boxt may do.. But the price difference is about £500.. So just making me think very hard on that...
Regular. System boiler has the red pressure vessel and pump built into it.
themorgatron18/12/2019 19:26

Boxt will throw your boiler on the wall in a day, unfortunately people …Boxt will throw your boiler on the wall in a day, unfortunately people regard this as a good thing so will write 5* reviews. Does the quote include control upgrades?You're install is really straightforward. I'm confident I could beat the Boxt price using better components, and installed to a much higher standard, whilst still making a decent living (£1200 materials, £300/day labour). Look on Intergas and get a platinum installer for another quote.

Hi Thanks, The final Question is doesn't the regular boiler needs a big cold and hot water tanks in the loft...? I don't have any tanks in the loft... Sorry if I am totally wrong.. it's just Google knowledge...
a.19831118/12/2019 20:55

Hi Thanks, The final Question is doesn't the regular boiler needs a big …Hi Thanks, The final Question is doesn't the regular boiler needs a big cold and hot water tanks in the loft...? I don't have any tanks in the loft... Sorry if I am totally wrong.. it's just Google knowledge...

You should be looking for a combi that replaces the water tanks, everything is fed from the boiler. Ignore the ones that complain about boxt, had one installed two weeks ago and the fitters were excellent saved me a minimum of £800 over what any local guy could offer and we got an upgraded boiler as well. The fitters fitted it in the same time as all of the other fitters have and I have had two calls from them since checking if we had any issues
eslick18/12/2019 22:21

You should be looking for a combi that replaces the water tanks, …You should be looking for a combi that replaces the water tanks, everything is fed from the boiler. Ignore the ones that complain about boxt, had one installed two weeks ago and the fitters were excellent saved me a minimum of £800 over what any local guy could offer and we got an upgraded boiler as well. The fitters fitted it in the same time as all of the other fitters have and I have had two calls from them since checking if we had any issues

Thanks, Not looking for a combi as the area has bit of low pressure and also have 2 baths often used at the same time... I thought regular boiler will do the Job.. Ordered from Boxt.. Need to see how it goes....

You should be looking for a combi that replaces the water tanks, …You should be looking for a combi that replaces the water tanks, everything is fed from the boiler. Ignore the ones that complain about boxt, had one installed two weeks ago and the fitters were excellent saved me a minimum of £800 over what any local guy could offer and we got an upgraded boiler as well. The fitters fitted it in the same time as all of the other fitters have and I have had two calls from them since checking if we had any issues

May be I am bit unlucky with the dates.. the next available appointment is about 8th Jan, But that is cheaper about 620 compared to my local installer.. Need to live the next few days on the Immersion boiler and oil filled radiators...:-( Fingers crossed they will be able to find some one sooner....
a.19831118/12/2019 22:54

May be I am bit unlucky with the dates.. the next available appointment is …May be I am bit unlucky with the dates.. the next available appointment is about 8th Jan, But that is cheaper about 620 compared to my local installer.. Need to live the next few days on the Immersion boiler and oil filled radiators...:-( Fingers crossed they will be able to find some one sooner....

Have you tried calling them, our fitter told us they sometimes get last minute jobs, he was about an hour and a half a way the other week after a fitter was sick.
eslick18/12/2019 22:58

Have you tried calling them, our fitter told us they sometimes get last …Have you tried calling them, our fitter told us they sometimes get last minute jobs, he was about an hour and a half a way the other week after a fitter was sick.

ill be doing this firstthing tomorrow... as they said they need me to place an order before they can check some ones availlability...
a.19831118/12/2019 20:55

Hi Thanks, The final Question is doesn't the regular boiler needs a big …Hi Thanks, The final Question is doesn't the regular boiler needs a big cold and hot water tanks in the loft...? I don't have any tanks in the loft... Sorry if I am totally wrong.. it's just Google knowledge...

A normal open vent install has a cold water tank that feeds water into a copper tank.
The 2nd tank in the loft is to feed water in the central heating system.
As you have the new unvented tank they work on mains pressure water feeding direct into the tank so no longer needs a storage tank to feed it. The white vessel accommodates for the expansion of any hot water that would have normally taken place in the loft tank. So that's the cold water tank in the loft gone.
2nd tank would fill up with water and feed directly into the central heating system keeping the heating water topped up and also acts as an expansion tank. When the water in the heating system warms up the water in the tank would rise to accommodate the expansion. It's also self filling to keep the system topped up. For this tank to go you have the red vessel which accommodates the expansion and you have a manual filling loop that you manually top up the pressure in the heating system. So that's that tank gone.
And the good thing about a sealed system is less prone to rusting as it's closed to air entering the system.

System boiler is just a compact version of a regular boiler. All different systems have there advantages and disadvantages. A combi boiler is just a system boiler with a built in hot water system. Hope it makes a little sense
Edited by: "kash2013" 19th Dec 2019

That is awful advise. An unvented cylinder is superior to a combi.

I guarantee I could have beaten your Boxt quote, and I don't have access to massive discounts from Worcester, or can afford to make millions of pounds in losses every year.
themorgatron19/12/2019 08:01

That is awful advise. An unvented cylinder is superior to a combi.I …That is awful advise. An unvented cylinder is superior to a combi.I guarantee I could have beaten your Boxt quote, and I don't have access to massive discounts from Worcester, or can afford to make millions of pounds in losses every year.

Hi Thanks, if you are near Gloucester I am happy to go with you for the job.. all in all Boxt coming about 1685(after Quidco), all I am hoping is they will be able to install it bit quicker than the date...

That is awful advise. An unvented cylinder is superior to a combi.I …That is awful advise. An unvented cylinder is superior to a combi.I guarantee I could have beaten your Boxt quote, and I don't have access to massive discounts from Worcester, or can afford to make millions of pounds in losses every year.

By the way i tired to contact the web address you said they advised they will not be able to come around till new year, so in the end I decided to go with boxt...
a.19831119/12/2019 08:07

Hi Thanks, if you are near Gloucester I am happy to go with you for the …Hi Thanks, if you are near Gloucester I am happy to go with you for the job.. all in all Boxt coming about 1685(after Quidco), all I am hoping is they will be able to install it bit quicker than the date...

I'm fully booked until the beginning of February, and don't cover that area sorry.

Unfortunately that will be the same for every good installer during their busiest period. I'd question why the ones fitting for Boxt aren't busy themselves (they're all self employed subbies getting paid £350 per boiler swap).

Whats wrong with the current boiler?

I was advising on a system that doesn’t have the tanks only, nothing else. As for price you may be the only one who can beat the quote, 6 companies in our area could not get anywhere near boxt prices no where near at all.
Edited by: "eslick" 19th Dec 2019
themorgatron19/12/2019 08:14

I'm fully booked until the beginning of February, and don't cover that …I'm fully booked until the beginning of February, and don't cover that area sorry. Unfortunately that will be the same for every good installer during their busiest period. I'd question why the ones fitting for Boxt aren't busy themselves (they're all self employed subbies getting paid £350 per boiler swap).Whats wrong with the current boiler?

Boxt is fully booked till Jan 8th.. current boiler is ideal icos 12, think it has a PCB problems and also leaking very badly.. yesterday I completely switched off the boiler and it leaked a lot when I reached home.. I have to call engineer out 3 times in last 3 years and I don't see keeping it getting repaired is a good thing...
Look on gumtree for reasonably priced installers. They are normally self employed plumbers that are normally very reasonable. Really it should be around £300 for installation and boilers are around £700 so £1000 to £1200 max is what you should be paying.
kash201319/12/2019 14:10

Look on gumtree for reasonably priced installers. They are normally self …Look on gumtree for reasonably priced installers. They are normally self employed plumbers that are normally very reasonable. Really it should be around £300 for installation and boilers are around £700 so £1000 to £1200 max is what you should be paying.

£300 for installation. How long would it take and which part of the country are you in?
JimboParrot19/12/2019 14:21

£300 for installation. How long would it take and which part of the …£300 for installation. How long would it take and which part of the country are you in?

Truthfully I'm quite fast at what I do. I would have it all done within 4 hours. But u used to install a lot of boilers. But I'm no longer a gas engineer as I have moved into property development. But if you look on gumtree and eBay lots of installers on the there that install for £300 - £400 for a boiler swap. I used to work for companies as a sub contractor. And all the big companies just hire small tradesmen and pay them a fixed fee.
kash201319/12/2019 14:50

Truthfully I'm quite fast at what I do. I would have it all done within 4 …Truthfully I'm quite fast at what I do. I would have it all done within 4 hours. But u used to install a lot of boilers. But I'm no longer a gas engineer as I have moved into property development. But if you look on gumtree and eBay lots of installers on the there that install for £300 - £400 for a boiler swap. I used to work for companies as a sub contractor. And all the big companies just hire small tradesmen and pay them a fixed fee.

Haha.. I understand they pay only about £400 or less for a boxt installation.. so not surprised if an individual quoted that amount... Took your advise and called some one in Gumtree and he said what I have is crap and I should look for combi.. I think I have a good system and I wouldn't change it unless it is 100% necessary...
a.19831119/12/2019 15:01

Haha.. I understand they pay only about £400 or less for a boxt …Haha.. I understand they pay only about £400 or less for a boxt installation.. so not surprised if an individual quoted that amount... Took your advise and called some one in Gumtree and he said what I have is crap and I should look for combi.. I think I have a good system and I wouldn't change it unless it is 100% necessary...

You can only try. I think so many people are so fixated on combis is hard to find tradesmen that understand a separate install these days. But the system you have is probably the best out there in my opinion. All parts are available of the self. A system like that doesn't often go wrong and can be easily diagnosed if you can find a plumber that's know what they are talking about. Good luck
Also another place to find a good plumber is your local plumbing shop. They will have a vast list of plumbers they would recommend.
Edited by: "kash2013" 19th Dec 2019
a.19831119/12/2019 15:01

Haha.. I understand they pay only about £400 or less for a boxt …Haha.. I understand they pay only about £400 or less for a boxt installation.. so not surprised if an individual quoted that amount... Took your advise and called some one in Gumtree and he said what I have is crap and I should look for combi.. I think I have a good system and I wouldn't change it unless it is 100% necessary...

Don’t forget if you use a manufacturer recommended installer you will get a longer warranty, Boxt will get you 10 years where as a local company would be 5 to 7. Look on the Worcester Bosch site you can get quotes from local companies who will give you the full warranty. They also do a fast track service which install with a day or so, all more expensive than boxt though.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions