Is this junction box wired properly??

Found 16th Oct 2017
I had an electricians, or this is what he said, doing some wiring in my house and I don't understand as much of electricity as I would like.

What I want to know if this light junction box is wired correctly or I have to get another electrician to rectify things before I close walls.

Thank you

2813495-uRJzr.jpg
Community Updates
Ask
16 Comments
That looks shite
Earths are not connected properly , junction box is broke also and no sleeving. I hope you didn't pay the said electrician or if you did get a refund and a proper electrician to sort it.
Did you go for the cheapest quote by any chance? I'd get someone in to at least check it and ideally redo it properly.
Original Poster
He left the junction box closed and I opened it to check if it was looking ok. He was for 3 days running cables in my house and I saw a few things weren't right which have been kind of sorted.

What I need to know if if the wires on the photo look well connected or if it has to be redone.

If you could tell me what wrong it would be really helpful.
The earth wires are not right for a start.

Did you get a certificate for the work done?
The bare copper wire that is wrapped around the top grey cable should be sleeved and connected to earth. Cables that have been used as lives and are not red or brown need to be sleeved to identify them. Broken junction box and it looks a poor attempt at wiring.
Edited by: "darksideby182" 16th Oct 2017
Looks like there are 4 entry points but he has forced the wires through 2 of them?.

I wouldn't trust it.
Original Poster
what i know is the cable at the top of the picture with the brown to the left and the blue to the right goes to a light switch which works. I guess the earth is wrapping around because the switch is in a plastic box?
daniq19 m ago

what i know is the cable at the top of the picture with the brown to the …what i know is the cable at the top of the picture with the brown to the left and the blue to the right goes to a light switch which works. I guess the earth is wrapping around because the switch is in a plastic box?

Still needs to be connected to earth just in case the cable gets damaged it will trip the fuse and not potentially make something else live.
Edited by: "darksideby182" 16th Oct 2017
Looks perfectly correct, just don't touch the light switches.

Let us know how your cheap plumber gets on.
sorry mate, not sure as I've been struggling with mine for few years now

32263676-lyVcg.jpg
Earth's look horrendous , not sleeved correctly
Surely he should have used a bigger junction box as that's gonna be a squeeze
That looks like a accident waiting to happen especially if you're hiding it behind a closed wall
I'd get someone else in and bill the original electrician , better safe than sorry
How did you find this electrician, was he recommended to you?
This is so common place you wouldn't believe it.

'What the eye doesn't see' and all that....
You aren't allowed to bury a junction box, It needs to be accessible.
All red cables used as live need brown identification ever since changing to 17 edition, earths need connecting and sleeving. Nothing wrong with size of jb. I am a fully qualified inspection and tester who installs also. Get him back and rectify or report to nic, elecsa or napit.
it's wired wrong, there should be more blue wires as it's my favourite colour
Did the work carried out need to be signed off ?
Edited by: "Bradleigh" 17th Oct 2017
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants