Is this laptop any good

Found 17th Oct 2017
Now before I start I know Gearbest have some poor reviews but for the purpose of this "Ask" we will ignore that. Can anyone techy tell me if this laptop has decent spec?

gearbest.com/lap…tml

I really need it for basic word processing, web streaming and media (high quality movie files).

Cheers all

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
7 Comments

It has decent spec, 8gb DDR4 RAM and intel core i5. Battery life doesn’t seem too good though (standby time is 7-8 hours, it doesn’t say usage and it takes 1-2 hours to charge).

I would suggest looking at another laptop for that one reason unless you plan on keeping it charged all the time, because I’m pretty sure playing media uses a lot of battery, especially if it’s High quality. Screen would probably also be better at 15” so you have more screen, but that’s just my opinion.

According to a review, the laptop “arrived in Chinese but i knew it from the beginning, after clean install of Win 10 in my own language”. Another review stated that there was no option to change the windows installation from Chinese, so the OS would definitely have to be clean installed.

There have also been complaints about the fan too, in what reviews I could understand. And as I said, complaints about the battery life (one saying it was not as good as Xiaomi claimed).

It's a 40Wh battery, which is fairly common for ultra-portables. 7-8 hours is likely the time it lasts in use rather than the standby (or at least the manufacturer claim).

Notebookcheck reviewed the previous revision and found it fairly decent:
notebookcheck.net/Xia…tml

At £800 after import VAT/duty the price is nothing special though, you can pick up a similar Asus Zenbook from a UK seller for a similar amount.

Original Poster

Thanks guys for your advice - may be worth giving it a miss for now then. Finding a decent ultraportable for media streaming with decent battery is impossible unless your willing to pay £1000+ (Dell XPS 13 or Lenovo Yoga 910 etc...)

EndlessWaves1 h, 33 m ago

It's a 40Wh battery, which is fairly common for ultra-portables. 7-8 hours …It's a 40Wh battery, which is fairly common for ultra-portables. 7-8 hours is likely the time it lasts in use rather than the standby (or at least the manufacturer claim).Notebookcheck reviewed the previous revision and found it fairly decent:https://www.notebookcheck.net/Xiaomi-Mi-Air-13-3-inch-Notebook-Review.180561.0.htmlAt £800 after import VAT/duty the price is nothing special though, you can pick up a similar Asus Zenbook from a UK seller for a similar amount.

And spending £800 for a seller that isn’t 100% trusted and for a laptop that comes in Chinese, I personally would look elsewhere.

yorki37 m ago

Thanks guys for your advice - may be worth giving it a miss for now then. …Thanks guys for your advice - may be worth giving it a miss for now then. Finding a decent ultraportable for media streaming with decent battery is impossible unless your willing to pay £1000+ (Dell XPS 13 or Lenovo Yoga 910 etc...)

I would suggest maybe joining a windows forum or something as there may be more people to suggest laptops there I’ll have a look for you, but I would suggest waiting until Black Friday (if you’re not too desperate and have free time to wait in the online queues etc)

Click for the link

This one is a good alternative, a little more expensive (~£75 depending on delivery costs). Specs are practically identical, but this laptop has a newer core (it has Intel Core i7 vs Intel Core i5) and the laptop is N inch bigger. The description states it is good for audiovisual stuff.

It’s also available for cheaper here on the official website, but I can’t be 100% sure it’s the same.

Original Poster

Dolphinzz13 h, 1 m ago

Click for the linkThis one is a good alternative, a little more expensive …Click for the linkThis one is a good alternative, a little more expensive (~£75 depending on delivery costs). Specs are practically identical, but this laptop has a newer core (it has Intel Core i7 vs Intel Core i5) and the laptop is N inch bigger. The description states it is good for audiovisual stuff.It’s also available for cheaper here on the official website, but I can’t be 100% sure it’s the same.

Thanks for taking the time to find an option. I think the high end Lenovo models are a good shout. Ive been tracking them for some time but there are only deals of the 510 range currently (which are a bit dated). I think your tip to wait for Black Friday may be a good shout. Given the Lenovoa Yogo 910 is now out we could see the 710 range come down in price. Thanks again dude!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants