Is this laptop any good?

Posted 19th Jun 2020
currys.co.uk/gbu…tml

I'm looking for a laptop for my son as he starts high school in September, it's will only be used for homework and check emails. The only worry is the eMMC hard drive, are they suitable/stable? I would probably get a external drive for storing his work on.

Any ideas or suggestions for something similar and around the same price?
Community Updates
Ask
9 Comments
Here’s an idea, why don’t you read the reviews on curry’s also on the biggest source of research called google.
Nah, these budget laptops are cut down beyond all sense to hit a price point and the sacrifices are massive. You'll get something much higher quality and faster buying a not very old second hand laptop.
sdoherty100019/06/2020 12:53

Here’s an idea, why don’t you read the reviews on curry’s also on the bigge …Here’s an idea, why don’t you read the reviews on curry’s also on the biggest source of research called google.

I've read the reviews on Currys and argos and they are very different, I thought I'd ask on here as another source of information!
Windows on a device with that spec will be a painful experience. If that's your budget, you're better getting something refurbished/second hand on ItZoo/Laptop Outlet or a cheap Chromebook.
no, dont waste your money..
Bargainhead19/06/2020 16:31

no, dont waste your money..

Thanks, looking elsewhere now. Just wanted the opinions of the good people on HUKD to confirm.
dellboy7519/06/2020 16:33

Thanks, looking elsewhere now. Just wanted the opinions of the good people …Thanks, looking elsewhere now. Just wanted the opinions of the good people on HUKD to confirm.

maybe add another £100 and look at chrome books, or around £300 for windows. they will do basic office/school work no problem...i know its a bit more and people have budgets but you need something whats fit for purpose. keep posting links of what you see people are always happy to help. or post your budget and what you want out of the machine people might give some ideas..
I think not overall.
The 64GB had drive is fine enough for school work and it has enough space for windows updates. as is the RAM. I have a linx laptop with the spec and it ticks along very well indeed with a simple pentium processor. And windows 10 feels nice and snappy with quick boot and apps load quickly. Browsing stutters occasionally but it's fine. YouTube videos needs to be 720p not 1080p. What limits this lenovo is the screen size ..11.6" is just too small for school work, trust me. My kids find the linx 14" screen just about ok. Some schook apps like mathswatch
josephobrien200020/06/2020 16:55

I think not overall.The 64GB had drive is fine enough for school work and …I think not overall.The 64GB had drive is fine enough for school work and it has enough space for windows updates. as is the RAM. I have a linx laptop with the spec and it ticks along very well indeed with a simple pentium processor. And windows 10 feels nice and snappy with quick boot and apps load quickly. Browsing stutters occasionally but it's fine. YouTube videos needs to be 720p not 1080p. What limits this lenovo is the screen size ..11.6" is just too small for school work, trust me. My kids find the linx 14" screen just about ok. Some schook apps like mathswatch

Are going to be a struggle. The other issue is the resolution. 720p. It's fine for such a small screen I suppose but 1080 is much nicer to work with. Also, keyboard and mouse need to be decent too.. one reviewer did not rate the trackpad.
What budget do you have ?
Post a comment
@
    Text