Posted 8th Dec 2021
Hello everyone. I need some advice please. Can anyone advise is this laptop any good?
HP 17-cn0041na 17.3in Pentium Gold 4GB 128GB Laptop.
argos.co.uk/pro…8:1
HP 17-cn0041na 17.3in Pentium Gold 4GB 128GB Laptop
Requirements are for mainly basic tasks. Web browsing, wordprocesing, spreadsheets and basic gaming/ video editing.
How can we tell if the RAM is upgradable.
Any help/ advice would be appreciated.
Community Updates
Ask
New Comment
11 Comments
  1. Avatar
    No for video editing and gaming
  2. Avatar
    Try and look for something with 8gb RAM for that price if you can. It's definitely not a gaming machine by the way.
    Edited by: "Haircut_100" 8th Dec 2021
  3. Avatar
    Author
    Thanks for your replies. Really appreciate it.
    Is the processor, Pentium gold poor compared to i3's, Ryzen 3?
    Even if the RAM is upgraded will it still be slow?
    I just prefer the larger screen.
    Thankyou again.
    Edited by: "j1000" 8th Dec 2021
  4. Avatar
    Pentium Gold series is a budget processor - it's faster than a Celeron, but slower than an i3, it's a perfect processor on a budget for an office environment where you just need basic word processing, email & web browsing. Note that this is running S-Mode Windows 10 - which means it'll only allow you to run apps from the MS store.
    Will it be slow? I guess so, however it depends how you benchmark it. Once the likes of Word is loaded up you won't notice the difference between an i9 and this - it's not like it makes you type faster.
    A faster laptop with a 17" screen will cost more, although you could go down the second hand route and find a more powerful 17" laptop (7th or 8th Generation i5 laptops can be had in this price range with a dedicated GPU & 17" screen)
    Perfect example: hp-omen-17-w206na
  5. Avatar
    Author
    aLV42608/12/2021 13:35

Pentium Gold series is a budget processor - it's faster than a Celeron, …Pentium Gold series is a budget processor - it's faster than a Celeron, but slower than an i3, it's a perfect processor on a budget for an office environment where you just need basic word processing, email & web browsing. Note that this is running S-Mode Windows 10 - which means it'll only allow you to run apps from the MS store. Will it be slow? I guess so, however it depends how you benchmark it. Once the likes of Word is loaded up you won't notice the difference between an i9 and this - it's not like it makes you type faster.A faster laptop with a 17" screen will cost more, although you could go down the second hand route and find a more powerful 17" laptop (7th or 8th Generation i5 laptops can be had in this price range with a dedicated GPU & 17" screen)Perfect example: hp-omen-17-w206na

Thankyou for your advice
  6. Avatar
    aLV42608/12/2021 13:35

Note that this is running S-Mode Windows 10 - which means it'll only allow …Note that this is running S-Mode Windows 10 - which means it'll only allow you to run apps from the MS store.

Windows S isn't really an issue - just google how to change Windows S to Windows 10 (or 11).
  7. Avatar
    Hello @j1000 you might want to give it a skip if you want to watch tv shows or do anything other then office work.

The screen can only display 45% NTSC of colour palette!

Here is how it matches up to the top 10 CPUs on the market
    46339539-tjtbV.jpg
  8. Avatar
    Laptop has 1 RAM slot so you need to replace the 4GB RAM that comes with it (fast forward to 2:27). This laptop is fine for day to day usage. If you want to play basic games then look for a 11th gen i5-i7 that come with Intel Iris Xe or Ryzen 5 4500U with Vega 6.
    Edited by: "I_Wish" 8th Dec 2021
  9. Avatar
    irrespective of what the laptop is going to be used for if you see 4GB ram, then run
  10. Avatar
    Author
    I_Wish08/12/2021 19:55

Laptop has 1 RAM slot so you need to replace the 4GB RAM that comes with …Laptop has 1 RAM slot so you need to replace the 4GB RAM that comes with it (fast forward to 2:27). This laptop is fine for day to day usage. If you want to play basic games then look for a 11th gen i5-i7 that come with Intel Iris Xe or Ryzen 5 4500U with Vega 6. [Video]

Thankyou
  11. Avatar
    my laptop needs are simple really -

- max £390

- 14in screen
    - touchscreen
    - backlit keyboard
    - USB-C (that support display/DisplayPort) or HDMI

if anyone know of any
Post a comment
Top Merchants