Is this oil perfect for my new VW passat SPORTS 1.9 TDI 2007

Found 17th Jul
ebay.co.uk/itm…994

As recommented by VW

volkswagen.co.uk/own…oil

Would it work on my car, also as I don't know if I have DPF or not on just bought car ?

Thank you
Community Updates
Ask
25 Comments
It looks like it is. You can check on this Castrol site.
applications.castrol.com/oil…rch

I've always been a bit concerned if oil on eBay is genuine.
This is so much cheaper than any retailers sell it for
I think this oil is a bit overkill for a Passat 07.

any 5w 30 should do the job:

carparts4less.co.uk/cp4…247
I think since 2004 they've all got DPFs.
.MUFC.1 h, 52 m ago

Not sure when DPF's where introduced to the Passat but my 2005 B5 model doesn't have one.

The B6 model was first introduced in mid/late 2005 - but the TDI became 2.0L at that time so not sure what model the OP has being 2007 1.9TDI?

Hunty..... : The Castrol Edge Longlife oil is what was Quantum Longlife 3 5W30 until Castrol lost the Quantum contract - now supplied to the same spec by Fuchs. If the car has a DPF then it will need the Longlife oil (507 spec I think) - if not the 504 spec oil will do (Quantum Platinum 5W40). Use the link that I posted yesterday fuchs-tps.lubricantadvisor.com/def…eng for the oil with your reg no. - if it lists the Longlife oil for both the "Normal" and the "Extended" drain then it suggests you do have a DPF - if it lists Platinum oil for the "Normal" drain then it suggest you don't have a DPF and hence the Platinum oil will suffice.

On a 2007 Passat you should aim to change the oil/filter every 10,000 or 12 months (whichever comes sooner) - so don't use the longlife oil hoping for a longer interval - only really useful for the first few years of a car's life.
Van19731 h, 5 m ago

Not sure when DPF's where introduced to the Passat but my 2005 B5 model …Not sure when DPF's where introduced to the Passat but my 2005 B5 model doesn't have one. The B6 model was first introduced in mid/late 2005 - but the TDI became 2.0L at that time so not sure what model the OP has being 2007 1.9TDI?Hunty..... : The Castrol Edge Longlife oil is what was Quantum Longlife 3 5W30 until Castrol lost the Quantum contract - now supplied to the same spec by Fuchs. If the car has a DPF then it will need the Longlife oil (507 spec I think) - if not the 504 spec oil will do (Quantum Platinum 5W40). Use the link that I posted yesterday http://fuchs-tps.lubricantadvisor.com/default.aspx?lang=eng for the oil with your reg no. - if it lists the Longlife oil for both the "Normal" and the "Extended" drain then it suggests you do have a DPF - if it lists Platinum oil for the "Normal" drain then it suggest you don't have a DPF and hence the Platinum oil will suffice.On a 2007 Passat you should aim to change the oil/filter every 10,000 or 12 months (whichever comes sooner) - so don't use the longlife oil hoping for a longer interval - only really useful for the first few years of a car's life.

My bad, it was the newer 2.0l TDI that had them. The 1.9tdi probably won't have one.
Van197322 h, 22 m ago

Not sure when DPF's where introduced to the Passat but my 2005 B5 model …Not sure when DPF's where introduced to the Passat but my 2005 B5 model doesn't have one. The B6 model was first introduced in mid/late 2005 - but the TDI became 2.0L at that time so not sure what model the OP has being 2007 1.9TDI?Hunty..... : The Castrol Edge Longlife oil is what was Quantum Longlife 3 5W30 until Castrol lost the Quantum contract - now supplied to the same spec by Fuchs. If the car has a DPF then it will need the Longlife oil (507 spec I think) - if not the 504 spec oil will do (Quantum Platinum 5W40). Use the link that I posted yesterday http://fuchs-tps.lubricantadvisor.com/default.aspx?lang=eng for the oil with your reg no. - if it lists the Longlife oil for both the "Normal" and the "Extended" drain then it suggests you do have a DPF - if it lists Platinum oil for the "Normal" drain then it suggest you don't have a DPF and hence the Platinum oil will suffice.On a 2007 Passat you should aim to change the oil/filter every 10,000 or 12 months (whichever comes sooner) - so don't use the longlife oil hoping for a longer interval - only really useful for the first few years of a car's life.

Thank you, This is what I get, it says my car is 2.0 but everywhere else I get 1.9, so not so sure,

34407641-L6V0o.jpg
Hunt_Deal_Hunt26 m ago

Thank you, This is what I get, it says my car is 2.0 but everywhere else I …Thank you, This is what I get, it says my car is 2.0 but everywhere else I get 1.9, so not so sure,[Image]

So it suggests you do not have a DPF as you can use either oil grade - Platinum or the Longlife.

If you really want to know what your engine is have a look at your Build sticker (example I found on the internet)

34408019-7JDte.jpg

- should be in the boot in the spare tyre well (and the service manual). Look at all the 3 digit codes - particularly one that begins with "D" - then enter that code into this website .... igorweb.org/equ…spx. My 1.9 TDI is coded D3E - which the website decodes to "4-cyl. turbo diesel engine 1.9 L/96 kW TDI with pump-jet injection system Base engine is T9J".

It is worth entering all the codes from the Build sticker into the website as it advises the spec of a lot of factory installed equipment - brakes, battery, alternator etc.
Thank you everyone for insights,

Would it hurt me if I go for long life even if I don't have DPF filter, or is it just me paying few pounds extra ?

Thank you
Hunt_Deal_Hunt16 m ago

Thank you everyone for insights,Would it hurt me if I go for long life …Thank you everyone for insights,Would it hurt me if I go for long life even if I don't have DPF filter, or is it just me paying few pounds extra ?Thank you

I would just buy the cheapest, Not a fan of long life oil, It gives the impression you don't have to change the oil as often. I would encourage an oil and oil filter change between services.
.MUFC.19th Jul

I would just buy the cheapest, Not a fan of long life oil, It gives the …I would just buy the cheapest, Not a fan of long life oil, It gives the impression you don't have to change the oil as often. I would encourage an oil and oil filter change between services.

Thank you, but as everyone else and websites suggest to use long life if you have DPF filter.
Hunt_Deal_Hunt6 m ago

Thank you, but as everyone else and websites suggest to use long life if …Thank you, but as everyone else and websites suggest to use long life if you have DPF filter.

If you have DPF then yes, DPFs require low ash. If you're unsure about DPF then ring your local VW service department and they should tell you. Of course you could also have a look but I think they're tucked away on VW. At the back of engine.
.MUFC.1 h, 15 m ago

If you have DPF then yes, DPFs require low ash. If you're unsure about DPF …If you have DPF then yes, DPFs require low ash. If you're unsure about DPF then ring your local VW service department and they should tell you. Of course you could also have a look but I think they're tucked away on VW. At the back of engine.

but if I don't have DPF filter, would long life oil going to do any damage ? thank you

I am asking this because I have a long to do list and I don't want to make a mistake and would spend money then taking the risk.

Had I more time I would properly investigate this.

Appreciate your time indeed
I looked at the service book, it says
Van197322 h, 38 m ago

So it suggests you do not have a DPF as you can use either oil grade - …So it suggests you do not have a DPF as you can use either oil grade - Platinum or the Longlife. If you really want to know what your engine is have a look at your Build sticker (example I found on the internet)[Image] - should be in the boot in the spare tyre well (and the service manual). Look at all the 3 digit codes - particularly one that begins with "D" - then enter that code into this website .... http://igorweb.org/equidec.aspx. My 1.9 TDI is coded D3E - which the website decodes to "4-cyl. turbo diesel engine 1.9 L/96 kW TDI with pump-jet injection system Base engine is T9J".It is worth entering all the codes from the Build sticker into the website as it advises the spec of a lot of factory installed equipment - brakes, battery, alternator etc.

Mine is

D3X = 4-cyl. turbo diesel eng.2.0 L/103 kW 16VTDI with pump-jet injection system base engine: T9G/TB3/TM0/TP0/TC3/TD3/TQ0
I am thinking about this one, but in description it says Cap 4.0 ltr, Without DPF

carparts4less.co.uk/cp4…398
Hunt_Deal_Hunt1 h, 59 m ago

but if I don't have DPF filter, would long life oil going to do any damage …but if I don't have DPF filter, would long life oil going to do any damage ? thank you I am asking this because I have a long to do list and I don't want to make a mistake and would spend money then taking the risk.Had I more time I would properly investigate this.Appreciate your time indeed

I don't think your passat has a DPF but worth checking with VW if unsure.

The Longlife oil will not do any damage (even if it is not needed) - but as MUFC says I would still change it every 10,000 miles (or 12 months) on a 2007 car.
Right, I've done a little research for you. The dpf was optional at the time on the 1.9tdi pd engine. The oil capacity on the non dpf model is 3.8L and 4.3L if it has got the dpf.

That oil would be fine but if it's got the dpf then you'll need another litre.

If you rev it and get a little black smoke then it's probably not got a dpf ;).

Having the dpf might have got you cheaper tax.
.MUFC.9 m ago

Right, I've done a little research for you. The dpf was optional at the …Right, I've done a little research for you. The dpf was optional at the time on the 1.9tdi pd engine. The oil capacity on the non dpf model is 3.8L and 4.3L if it has got the dpf.That oil would be fine but if it's got the dpf then you'll need another litre.If you rev it and get a little black smoke then it's probably not got a dpf ;).Having the dpf might have got you cheaper tax.

Thank you so much for your time.

I paid £195 for car tax, EuroCarParts seems to be expensive but I needed something for Saturday, might have to delay service then.
.MUFC.11 m ago

Right, I've done a little research for you. The dpf was optional at the …Right, I've done a little research for you. The dpf was optional at the time on the 1.9tdi pd engine. The oil capacity on the non dpf model is 3.8L and 4.3L if it has got the dpf.That oil would be fine but if it's got the dpf then you'll need another litre.If you rev it and get a little black smoke then it's probably not got a dpf ;).Having the dpf might have got you cheaper tax.

On revs, some black smoke does comes out
Hunt_Deal_Hunt8 m ago

Thank you so much for your time.I paid £195 for car tax, EuroCarParts …Thank you so much for your time.I paid £195 for car tax, EuroCarParts seems to be expensive but I needed something for Saturday, might have to delay service then.

Carparts4less - same company - is ALWAYS cheaper. 12% off at the mo. Even if they appear not to sell a part just put the Eurocarparts part no. into the search facility and it will find the part (at a lower price).

For the oil I'd buy Quantum Longlife (assuming you want Longlife - this is what a VW dealer would use) - this is from a large Car Dealer in Scotland who I have used before.... ebay.co.uk/itm…~WV Unit price cheaper if you buy 2x 5Lt.
Van197330 m ago

Carparts4less - same company - is ALWAYS cheaper. 12% off at the mo. …Carparts4less - same company - is ALWAYS cheaper. 12% off at the mo. Even if they appear not to sell a part just put the Eurocarparts part no. into the search facility and it will find the part (at a lower price). For the oil I'd buy Quantum Longlife (assuming you want Longlife - this is what a VW dealer would use) - this is from a large Car Dealer in Scotland who I have used before.... https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-Quantum-Longlife-5W-30-Fully-Synthetic-Engine-Oil-5-Litre-Bottle/253468869466?hash=item3b03ec035a:g:AtwAAOSwkgZbF~WV Unit price cheaper if you buy 2x 5Lt.

Thanks I will go for this
Hunt_Deal_Hunt46 m ago

Thanks I will go for this

pay via paypal as they can be a nightmare, maybe not but best too.

You might find the one you want for long term on a 1.9TDI is 5w40, our Jetta uses that one, check your handbook.

If you have a tesco extra near you, they have both versions of the Castrol Edge on offer for 5w40 £22 and £24.50 for 5w30 at the moment. Picked up one of each yesterday for our cars, I went to two stores and managed to get it in the second but it was on an end not in the normal car isle.

hotukdeals.com/dea…655
eslick4 h, 15 m ago

pay via paypal as they can be a nightmare, maybe not but best too. You …pay via paypal as they can be a nightmare, maybe not but best too. You might find the one you want for long term on a 1.9TDI is 5w40, our Jetta uses that one, check your handbook. If you have a tesco extra near you, they have both versions of the Castrol Edge on offer for 5w40 £22 and £24.50 for 5w30 at the moment. Picked up one of each yesterday for our cars, I went to two stores and managed to get it in the second but it was on an end not in the normal car isle. https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/castrol-edge-5w40-synthetic-oil-4l-22-tesco-2982655

You are star, I picked 2 from tesco as well, 5w-30
Now going to pick filters etc from eurocarparts
.MUFC.17th Jul

It's 2008 buddy
cliosport6523 m ago

It's 2008 buddy

Yes, Transpires it was optional until then.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants