Is this stealing?

Found 26th Aug 2017
In my local supermarket there is a post box. If someone where to take a birthday card (or any other type of celebration card) off the shelf, write in it, put it in the envelope, address and stamp the envelope and post it, would it be classed as stealing? Because technically you have not taken it out of the shop, it’s the postman collecting the post that does that.

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
Top comments

Of course it is stealing and you'll have the postman prosecuted for handling stolen goods and the recipient be a fence too. Then when they throw it away, the bin man who collects it will be too. You've started a major crime ring

deeky2 m ago

Please come back HEAWD. At least you're entertaining.

Don't lie

As long as you pay for your carrier bag you are fine 😜
29 Comments

I would say yes it is still theft as it didn't belong to you prior to posting?

I would say yes...
The definition of theft
Dishonestly appropriate property belonging to another with the intention to permanently deprive.
Taking the card off the shelf for your own needs and posting it would fulfill your needs,
This is done dishonestly as you had no intention to ever pay and the store would never get it back.

Of course it is stealing and you'll have the postman prosecuted for handling stolen goods and the recipient be a fence too. Then when they throw it away, the bin man who collects it will be too. You've started a major crime ring

As long as you pay for your carrier bag you are fine 😜

K4lvin39 m ago

I would say yes...The definition of theft Dishonestly appropriate property …I would say yes...The definition of theft Dishonestly appropriate property belonging to another with the intention to permanently deprive.Taking the card off the shelf for your own needs and posting it would fulfill your needs, This is done dishonestly as you had no intention to ever pay and the store would never get it back.

What if you write on the back of the envelope, return to Sainsbury's in 10 days time?

MSK.2 m ago

What if you write on the back of the envelope, return to Sainsbury's in 10 …What if you write on the back of the envelope, return to Sainsbury's in 10 days time?

That wouldn't help. His local supermarket is a Tesco.

Ask the store manager

deeky2 m ago

Don't lie

deeky2 m ago

Are you pining for the good old days deeky?

SJHan13 m ago

Don't lie

Listen mate, I've been up since 4, worked till 2 then been having a barbecue from the minute I got home. I'm really tired.
Edited by: "deeky" 26th Aug 2017

I suppose technically speaking eating unpaid food in a supermarket then taking a dump in their toilet prior to leaving is not stealing. But this......
Edited by: "OllieSt" 26th Aug 2017

yes it is stealing as you have taken the card out of the shop's premises and put it into royal mail's premises as the box and anything in it belongs to royal mail even though the box is sited in the shop.

also as someone else has said, it is a criminal offence as it is done with clear intention to take something without paying for it for your own financial gain.

Original Poster

Thanks for the response, loved reading some of the comments. It would be interesting to know how it could be proven though.

What if you addressed the card to the CEO of the supermarket?

Slow day on this forum. I guess the Bikes and Trump threads have gotten a bit stale.

On a more serious note, you'll probably find post box is in the foyer or beyond the checkouts. You leave the shop without paying then and even though it is in the same building, it isn't in the shop

Jesus weeps, you can't be serious, then again these threads have been detoxed.

OllieSt1 h, 39 m ago

I suppose technically speaking eating unpaid food in a supermarket then …I suppose technically speaking eating unpaid food in a supermarket then taking a dump in their toilet prior to leaving is not stealing. But this......

Damn, you beat me to it. I was going to say drink a four pack, then pee in a bucket and put it back on the shelf. That wouldn't be theft according to your criteria.

MSK.2 h, 19 m ago

What if you write on the back of the envelope, return to Sainsbury's in 10 …What if you write on the back of the envelope, return to Sainsbury's in 10 days time?

Criminal damage

K4lvin2 h, 59 m ago

I would say yes...The definition of theft Dishonestly appropriate property …I would say yes...The definition of theft Dishonestly appropriate property belonging to another with the intention to permanently deprive.Taking the card off the shelf for your own needs and posting it would fulfill your needs, This is done dishonestly as you had no intention to ever pay and the store would never get it back.

Barcelona's lawyers might be interested in that definition.

OP, you're thinking of the American system, where there's the belief that shoplifting only counts as shoplifting when the goods are taken off the premises. We don't follow US rules, so yep, you'd be stealing.

I'm sure someone asked a similar question like this a few years ago. They asked what would happen if you go into Asda or Tesco pick up a game or DVD and post it to yourself from the postbox in the supermarket without paying for it. Think they asked if it would be classed as theft.

Original Poster

Poppyj111 m ago

I'm sure someone asked a similar question like this a few years ago. They …I'm sure someone asked a similar question like this a few years ago. They asked what would happen if you go into Asda or Tesco pick up a game or DVD and post it to yourself from the postbox in the supermarket without paying for it. Think they asked if it would be classed as theft.

I can see it now, people queuing at the post box to post their "letters".
Obviously it is a crime, but what crime is being committed? Fraud?

Beebee184 m ago

I can see it now, people queuing at the post box to post their "letters". …I can see it now, people queuing at the post box to post their "letters". Obviously it is a crime, but what crime is being committed? Fraud?

I'm unsure of what crime/s it would fall under but be sure to let me know when you get caught, Haha

Definitely stealing. Your conscience should help stop you from doing it

mrty26th Aug

Damn, you beat me to it. I was going to say drink a four pack, then pee in …Damn, you beat me to it. I was going to say drink a four pack, then pee in a bucket and put it back on the shelf. That wouldn't be theft according to your criteria.

And if you put a Carlsberg label on it no one would be able to tell the difference!

I despair that people really need to ask these silly questions. Obviously, it's theft.

chocci28th Aug

I despair that people really need to ask these silly questions. Obviously, …I despair that people really need to ask these silly questions. Obviously, it's theft.

It's the type of post id expect from mutley , are they related
Post a comment
@
    Text