Groups

Is this surface book deal any good?

So, my macbook pro is nearly 3 years old and I am soon starting a new job (software developer in c#), so I thought about getting a new lappy. initially I wanted the new macbook that has been introduced few days ago (damn I wanted it for last few months), but was really disappointed by the models, especially the price. Given the fact that c# is windows, and win 10 is not that bad (have that on my dell latitude 7275), I sterted looking at higher end windows laptops.

SO now there is a deal on surface book, they give away free xbox. microsoftstore.com/sto…800

So the model I'm looking at is the i7/16gb/512gb ssd model. It is currently 2024ish with a 1TB xbone with fifa + a free wireless controller. On top of that there is 10% quidco. SO assuming quidco tracks, and I sell the xbox and pad, I'd be looking at around 1550 for the surface book. DO you reckon its a good price for the top model or shall I wait till black friday/christmas for better deals? this gives me great performance for 200 less than base new macbook (the one with oled bar), so it's definitely much better, but is it worth that much?

Cheers:)

4 Comments

firstly why do you need a new laptop for your job? is it mainly for home use/ training etc?
    secondly why are you going for a laptop which is only 13 inch. I don't so that much screen is best for coding. I'm a c# developer as well and I have alienware 17 r3. which I plug into my 2 27 inch samsung monitor when I code.

Original Poster

Rathore

firstly why do you need a new laptop for your job? is it mainly for home … firstly why do you need a new laptop for your job? is it mainly for home use/ training etc? secondly why are you going for a laptop which is only 13 inch. I don't so that much screen is best for coding. I'm a c# developer as well and I have alienware 17 r3. which I plug into my 2 27 inch samsung monitor when I code.

They job includes a delivery aspect when I go to customers site to help with setting up and troubleshooting, so I will definitely need a laptop for the on the go duties, I've had a 13 mbp retina for 3 years and it's been great, never has any issues with screen size, if I need I could plug in to an external monitor. Having said that, I considered a 15 inch xps as it's still a reasonably sized laptop, but a 17 inch alienware is way too much of a beast for me. You made me thinking again though, guess I might wait till I actually start the new job and see what happens then, maybe they will provide one for me or at least tell me why they expect?

Stupid question, but they've just released the new version haven't they? Wouldn't it be better to hang tight until that is up?

C# isn't a windows only thing. Other implementations of .NET that support it such as Mono have been used on plenty of production projects. The Unity game engine is a big example. Of course you may be using Windows libraries but that's not the same thing

If your laptop isn't even three years old then I think you're a bit premature in replacing it. The Surface Book's i5-6300U isn't exactly going to produce huge performance increases over the MBP's i5-4258U. Given that it's a lower power model with no eDram it's probably going to be technically a little slower in some situations.

I'd just install Windows on your existing machine and replace the battery if it's getting a little worn.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Virgin media sign up67
      2. Which android box?33
      3. If you had £50,000 to start a business what would it be ?710
      4. BT sport on sky boxes512

See more discussions