Is this the best I can get for a grand?

Posted 26th Jul 2020
Hi all
I am looking for a new laptop mainly for work (financial trading, forex etc) and ocassional leisure use.

Must haves:
144 Hz Screen Full HD IPS at least
16 GB RAM minimum
Ryzen 7 4800H or better
Runs cool under normal usage
Quite
Decent battery

So far I have found this Lenovo laptop that meets the criteria for about a grand.

box.co.uk/82B…BwE

Can I get something better than this for around a grand?

Thank you
Community Updates
Ask
8 Comments
It has a dedicated graphics card, unless you game it's a waste of money/weight/battery use.

If you can wait I think it'll be worth it as the current supply chains are apparently still behind due to covid lockdowns. Once back up and running there should be a huge amount of AMD laptops on offer with the latest CPUs.

Currently 14 inch ones are cropping up however 15 inch are still in the pipeline from what I was reading.
Appreciate the feedback. Don't know if I want to wait that long though. Yeah the laptop won't be used for gaming but I want something future proof. I don't mind the extra weight etc as long as it meets the above criteria. Of course if I can find a laptop which meets the above criteria without a dedicated GPU and cheaper then I would go for that instead so I'll wait for more replies
Edited by: "Razerblade12" 26th Jul
deleted1163056
PenguinsForAll26/07/2020 20:08

It has a dedicated graphics card, unless you game it's a waste of …It has a dedicated graphics card, unless you game it's a waste of money/weight/battery use.If you can wait I think it'll be worth it as the current supply chains are apparently still behind due to covid lockdowns. Once back up and running there should be a huge amount of AMD laptops on offer with the latest CPUs. Currently 14 inch ones are cropping up however 15 inch are still in the pipeline from what I was reading.

not true. photo and video editing can be greatly accelerated using a dedicated GPU
Why do you need a 144Hz screen for work? You're only gonna find gaming laptops with that screen. For your work, i don't think you'll notice the increased refresh rate as most things will be static. Also, for your use case a great 4K 60Hz panel may be better
deleted116305627/07/2020 07:24

not true. photo and video editing can be greatly accelerated using a …not true. photo and video editing can be greatly accelerated using a dedicated GPU

Yeah but op didn't say they are doing those things
deleted1163056
PenguinsForAll27/07/2020 15:11

Yeah but op didn't say they are doing those things

"mainly for work.. and occasional leisure use.."

doesn't say they aren't.
deleted116305627/07/2020 15:30

"mainly for work.. and occasional leisure use.."doesn't say they aren't.

Common now, if someone was doing video editing they would mention it
Pulled the trigger and went for Dell Inspiron 15 7000 2020 model
i7 10750h
GTX 1650ti
16 GB RAM
512 SSD

Got £168 off of the full price with FLASH14 code so got it for £1032.

Laptop hasn't got many reviews so don't know what to expect. Couldn't get over the plasticky look of Legion and many other gaming laptops so had to go with Dell in the end.

Many thanks to all who replied
Post a comment
@
    Text