Groups

Is this the worst console generation?

Now I grew up in the 80's so maybe its something to do with being of an older gamer generation, that appreciates the creativity that developers had for many many years to overcome the shortcomings of graphical fidelity Playing everything from Manic Miner to Sonic the Hedgehog, it all felt new and exciting.

Maybe it was because no one could afford to buy a game every week or even day, with steam sales and games with gold today its so easy to throw away games and move to the next, releases were few and far between too, as a kid a game was a birthday or christmas treat so you would hammer the thing for 6 months, if you had a decent mate he might lend your Micro Machines V3 for a week, or the posh kid would let your play 6 Golden Coins on his Gameboy in the school yard.

PC gaming was little better in that respect you could get a few decent shareware games on PC mags.. everyone was in the same old boat in the 80's really. 90's came with 3D gaming, Playstation entered and Dreamcast brought the arcade into the home, and Nintendo revolutionised every genre.

The XBOX & PS2 brought things like real open world gaming, and proper online play with match making.. even if you did need a crossover cable running across the living room tripping your mrs up.. it was also the first gen to mix the console with the living room entertainment, DVD players for instance.

The the XBOX 360 & PS3 era I still remember the last game to give me goosebumps was Gears Mad World Trailer, the realism had me hooked i had to have a 360.. Its crazy how long the 360 lasted and is still going, so many great games..

But enter this generation of PS4 and XBone I really cannot think of anything that is worth remembering this generation for?

Its the remaster gen, the sequel gen we have seen it all before, it feels like its a lazy generation, the only games that stands out for me is Bloodborne and to be fair it was a Dark Souls style game which originated on the previous generation, and The Witcher III but thats more about the story telling the gameplay is nothing new.

Now dont get me wrong there are good games, and some stand out titles, but nothing really defining this generation, it has in fact left me feeling more bored of gaming than ever before.

I am praying that VR is the turning point and it is what will make this generation worth a 720p to 900p £300.00 upgrade. because what I am seeing in the PS Pro isn't anything new other than graphical improvements again, and personally I do not feel it is enough anymore.

Anyone else agree? Maybe the NX will be my answer?

78 Comments

I was gonna say, 'yeah, but PSVR. What could be more exciting?'. But you got there in the end

I kind of have to agree with almost everything you said I've got a ps4 and had a PS3 and nothing is good I get board quick compared to playing my old consoles my ps2 has way better games for fun imo and Xbox and Xbox 360 was great on line with ghost recon nothing seems good or fun any more

haritori

Now I grew up in the 80's so maybe its something to do with being of an … Now I grew up in the 80's so maybe its something to do with being of an older gamer generation, that appreciates the creativity that developers had for many many years to overcome the shortcomings of graphical fidelity Playing everything from Manic Miner to Sonic the Hedgehog, it all felt new and exciting...

Sonic's first title was in 1991.

i agree

The issue I think is that indie games being viable career choice this generation is drawing innovators away from working on AAA titles.

Original Poster

fanpages

Sonic's first title was in 1991.

OK well then from Manic Miner to Golden Axe.
    Edited by: "haritori" 9th Sep 2016

Banned

haritori

OK well then from manic Miner to Golden Axe.

Say pac-man dammit.

Original Poster

Rubisco

The issue I think is that indie games being viable career choice this … The issue I think is that indie games being viable career choice this generation is drawing innovators away from working on AAA titles.

Thats a good point, I also think that the Kickstarter stuff is a bad thing in some respects as it leaves devs with little stake in the investment.. Broken Age being a prime example.

Original Poster

MrScotchBonnet

Say pac-man dammit.

From Manic Miner to Pac-man dammit

For me 1984 saw the release of my all time favourite and most played ever game by First Star ...... Boulderdash!

Hell no.

It's the best!

For one reason, xbox one.

With the gamesharing ability me and my mate have over 300 games now. For a fraction of the rrp.

Ive played so many awesome games in the last (nearly) 3years.

Cant wait for the new xbox next year. More importantly, cod4 in November

Original Poster

benjammin316

Hell no. It's the best! For one reason, xbox one. With the gamesharing … Hell no. It's the best! For one reason, xbox one. With the gamesharing ability me and my mate have over 300 games now. For a fraction of the rrp.Ive played so many awesome games in the last (nearly) 3years.Cant wait for the new xbox next year. More importantly, cod4 in November

Ill respectfully disagree :), I have a massive library yet I do not want to play any of it. I've been playing Mario Galaxy more last mont.

haritori

Ill respectfully disagree :), I have a massive library yet I do not want … Ill respectfully disagree :), I have a massive library yet I do not want to play any of it.

Sounds like you need a break from gaming. Your hearts not in it man, you've changed. You got old.

benjammin316

Hell no. It's the best! For one reason, xbox one. With the gamesharing … Hell no. It's the best! For one reason, xbox one. With the gamesharing ability me and my mate have over 300 games now. For a fraction of the rrp.Ive played so many awesome games in the last (nearly) 3years.Cant wait for the new xbox next year. More importantly, cod4 in November

You had me at November.

https://media.giphy.com/media/ZqlvCTNHpqrio/giphy.gif

Original Poster

benjammin316

Sounds like you need a break from gaming. Your hearts not in it man, … Sounds like you need a break from gaming. Your hearts not in it man, you've changed. You got old.

You're not wrong, :(|

haritori

You're not wrong, :(|

You must be excited for a new game on the horizon?

Original Poster

benjammin316

You must be excited for a new game on the horizon?

Well I have the PSVR for the kids preordered for xmas, but no game has me 'excited' really other than the new Zelda.

I think im having a mid life crisis its not just games its everything i'm interested in i cannot find the motivation for anymore, photography is my other passion, and yet my libdo for that is dead too.

Is it just me who has a strong sense of déjà vu about this thread?

hotukdeals.com/mis…373

"Its the remaster gen"
    Fair enough you want something different to play but then you say "Maybe the NX will be my answer?"

So more Mario then.

(sorry I couldn't help myself)

Original Poster

moneysavingkitten

Is it just me who has a strong sense of déjà vu about this thread? : … Is it just me who has a strong sense of déjà vu about this thread? :phttp://www.hotukdeals.com/misc/lost-interest-2195373

I thought when I posted.. but my interest did come back and then I disappeared again lol.

My wife thinks i'm being pathetic about it but its depressing me, imagine your passion for gaming since your first ever 10 in 1 atari cartridge growing with you through the years, working in game being a dream come true, buying a VMU months before the dreamcast was released in the UK, watching tomb raider move from polygon boobies to uncharted clone..

for it all to be taken away overnight and complete interest fading day after day.. I feel like I have lost my heart!

Banned

moneysavingkitten

Is it just me who has a strong sense of déjà vu about this thread? : … Is it just me who has a strong sense of déjà vu about this thread? :phttp://www.hotukdeals.com/misc/lost-interest-2195373

He hasn't lost interest telling us he's lost interest. oO

Original Poster

[email protected]

"Its the remaster gen"Fair enough you want something different to play … "Its the remaster gen"Fair enough you want something different to play but then you say "Maybe the NX will be my answer?"So more Mario then. (sorry I couldn't help myself)

In fairness though every mario generation is something new.

Mario Bros.
    Super Mario Land
    Super Mario World
    Mario 64
    Mario Sunshine
    Mario Galaxy
    Super Mario 3D World

all similar but all different games.

Banned

Well you had me curious so I took a look too.

hotukdeals.com/mis…880

X)

haritori

I thought when I posted.. but my interest did come back and then I … I thought when I posted.. but my interest did come back and then I disappeared again lol.My wife thinks i'm being pathetic about it but its depressing me, imagine your passion for gaming since your first ever 10 in 1 atari cartridge growing with you threw to years, working in game being a dream come true, buying a VMU months before the dreamcast was released in the UK, watching tomb raider move from polygon boobies to uncharted clone..for it all to be taken away overnight and complete interest fading day after day.. I feel like I have lost my heart!

I think you just have the post PlayStation press conference blues. Perhaps you need to forget about games and get out on your bike or something for the next few days. I'm sure you'l perk up again if you did last time.

MrScotchBonnet

He hasn't lost interest telling us he's lost interest. oO

X)

Nah, the Atari 2600 generation was the worst if we are talking consoles only (can't include Speccy or C64). The amount of dross being banded about as gaming back then was something else.

Original Poster

MrScotchBonnet

Well you had me curious so I took a look … Well you had me curious so I took a look too.http://www.hotukdeals.com/misc/is-there-sex-in-heaven-1460880X)

Told you i was depressed was just making sure my priorities were in order

MrScotchBonnet

Well you had me curious so I took a look … Well you had me curious so I took a look too.http://www.hotukdeals.com/misc/is-there-sex-in-heaven-1460880X)

X)
    http://i.imgur.com/GNdheX3.jpg

Edited by: "Wongy110" 9th Sep 2016

Original Poster

drasim

Nah, the Atari 2600 generation was the worst if we are talking consoles … Nah, the Atari 2600 generation was the worst if we are talking consoles only (can't include Speccy or C64). The amount of dross being banded about as gaming back then was something else.

Asteroids, Pitfall, Frogger, Space Invaders and who can forget ET!

problem with this generation is most games on the console are on the pc
    and the average pc has lots more horsepower then the console

when the x360 was launch average pc was still a single core cpu and pc was playing catch up

back in the snes and mega drive generation most games were console exclusive and pc had its own games
    control pad was not common on pc back then playing street fighter on pc was a joke

pc was the king at first person shooters back then
    console was the place to be for platformer and driving games

older generation of console also had the magic of your friend actually sitting next to you

now you scream some crap down a head phone?

digital game is all nice and handy and all

still can't beat the magic of opening a new £40 game cartridge and admire the artwork and read thru the manual

Original Poster

iShoey

problem with this generation is most games on the console are on the … problem with this generation is most games on the console are on the pcand the average pc has lots more horsepower then the consolewhen the x360 was launch average pc was still a single core cpu and pc was playing catch upback in the snes and mega drive generation most games were console exclusive and pc had its own gamescontrol pad was not common on pc back then playing street fighter on pc was a jokepc was the king at first person shooters back thenconsole was the place to be for platformer and driving gamesolder generation of console also had the magic of your friend actually sitting next to younow you scream some crap down a head phone?digital game is all nice and handy and allstill can't beat the magic of opening a new £40 game cartridge and admire the artwork and read thru the manual

Ahh the manual, remember those I would go into town buy a game and read the manual on the bus on the way home.

OP, I think you just need to try something new. Try a game that you might not be interested in, there is quite a variety these days and there seems to be a resurgence of Japanese games.
    Perhaps Persona 5 (out in Feb), Divinity OS, Ratchet & Clank, Knack.

Just buy on disc so you can trade in if not likey.

Or drag out the PS3 and play Demon's Souls.

haritori

Asteroids, Pitfall, Frogger, Space Invaders and who can forget ET!

Honestly I'm not sure there are many people who could genuinely recommend more than 10 games on consoles just before the NES. Yeah there were some good ones, but many of them were just rushed projects with untested code. As you know we didn't have the luxury of patches X)

haritori

Ahh the manual, remember those I would go into town buy a game and read … Ahh the manual, remember those I would go into town buy a game and read the manual on the bus on the way home.

I would buy a game play it as much as I could before bed time, then read the manual instead of a book.

Original Poster

drasim

Honestly I'm not sure there are many people who could genuinely recommend … Honestly I'm not sure there are many people who could genuinely recommend more than 10 games on consoles just before the NES. Yeah there were some good ones, but many of them were just rushed projects with untested code. As you know we didn't have the luxury of patches X)

No I agree Atari stuff wasnt all that thrilling, but the spectrum now that was where awesome began for me.

Original Poster

Rid1

I would buy a game play it as much as I could before bed time, then read … I would buy a game play it as much as I could before bed time, then read the manual instead of a book.

My God you just made me nostalgia everywhere!

haritori

No I agree Atari stuff wasnt all that thrilling, but the spectrum now … No I agree Atari stuff wasnt all that thrilling, but the spectrum now that was where awesome began for me.

Do you ever read Retro Gamer? I can't remember what issue it was but they had a in depth interview with Matthew Smith (creator of Manic Miner and Jet Set Willy) and how he came to hear of the various rumours about him either being dead or moving to Holland and being a homeless junkie. I find some of the interviews fascinating on how the gaming industry in the UK worked back then.

And yeah, I'll never accept anyone having a bad word on the Speccy or C64

Original Poster

drasim

Do you ever read Retro Gamer? I can't remember what issue it was but they … Do you ever read Retro Gamer? I can't remember what issue it was but they had a in depth interview with Matthew Smith (creator of Manic Miner and Jet Set Willy) and how he came to hear of the various rumours about him either being dead or moving to Holland and being a homeless junkie. I find some of the interviews fascinating on how the gaming industry in the UK worked back then.And yeah, I'll never accept anyone having a bad word on the Speccy or C64

I do not but I now may have too!

I remember getting stuck on Monkey Island for weeks!! so I eventually rang Lucas Arts and the receptionist said to hold on and I remember put me through to some guy who told me he was part of the development team, and put me on hold for a few minutes, when he came back he said he had the team's master guide he spent about 15 minutes on the phone with me guiding me through the part I was stuck on.. he said next time I should prob ring the game puzzle helpline but wished me luck in completing it..

I like to think that could of been either Ron Gilbert, Tim Schafer or Dave Grossman that helped me and i wouldnt of know who that was back then, but its completely in the realms of possibility.

not the worst generation of gaming, it is the worst generation of game makers.

Original Poster

UnhappyGamer

not the worst generation of gaming, it is the worst generation of game … not the worst generation of gaming, it is the worst generation of game makers.

There seems to be a lack of new big ideas, or as mentioned a big influx of indie stuff.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Tesco Recalls 1,000's of products!​22
      2. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764332
      3. Weekly game codes giveaway 1831429
      4. ❅☁☁❅ I want☼to talk☼about the☔WEATHER☔no politics☃no religion❅☁☁❅18846229

See more discussions