Expired

Is this the worst console generation?

Found 9th Sep 2016
Now I grew up in the 80's so maybe its something to do with being of an older gamer generation, that appreciates the creativity that developers had for many many years to overcome the shortcomings of graphical fidelity Playing everything from Manic Miner to Sonic the Hedgehog, it all felt new and exciting.

Maybe it was because no one could afford to buy a game every week or even day, with steam sales and games with gold today its so easy to throw away games and move to the next, releases were few and far between too, as a kid a game was a birthday or christmas treat so you would hammer the thing for 6 months, if you had a decent mate he might lend your Micro Machines V3 for a week, or the posh kid would let your play 6 Golden Coins on his Gameboy in the school yard.

PC gaming was little better in that respect you could get a few decent shareware games on PC mags.. everyone was in the same old boat in the 80's really. 90's came with 3D gaming, Playstation entered and Dreamcast brought the arcade into the home, and Nintendo revolutionised every genre.

The XBOX & PS2 brought things like real open world gaming, and proper online play with match making.. even if you did need a crossover cable running across the living room tripping your mrs up.. it was also the first gen to mix the console with the living room entertainment, DVD players for instance.

The the XBOX 360 & PS3 era I still remember the last game to give me goosebumps was Gears Mad World Trailer, the realism had me hooked i had to have a 360.. Its crazy how long the 360 lasted and is still going, so many great games..

But enter this generation of PS4 and XBone I really cannot think of anything that is worth remembering this generation for?

Its the remaster gen, the sequel gen we have seen it all before, it feels like its a lazy generation, the only games that stands out for me is Bloodborne and to be fair it was a Dark Souls style game which originated on the previous generation, and The Witcher III but thats more about the story telling the gameplay is nothing new.

Now dont get me wrong there are good games, and some stand out titles, but nothing really defining this generation, it has in fact left me feeling more bored of gaming than ever before.

I am praying that VR is the turning point and it is what will make this generation worth a 720p to 900p £300.00 upgrade. because what I am seeing in the PS Pro isn't anything new other than graphical improvements again, and personally I do not feel it is enough anymore.

Anyone else agree? Maybe the NX will be my answer?
Community Updates
MiscGames Console
56 Comments
I was gonna say, 'yeah, but PSVR. What could be more exciting?'. But you got there in the end
I kind of have to agree with almost everything you said I've got a ps4 and had a PS3 and nothing is good I get board quick compared to playing my old consoles my ps2 has way better games for fun imo and Xbox and Xbox 360 was great on line with ghost recon nothing seems good or fun any more
deleted57959

Now I grew up in the 80's so maybe its something to do with being of an … Now I grew up in the 80's so maybe its something to do with being of an older gamer generation, that appreciates the creativity that developers had for many many years to overcome the shortcomings of graphical fidelity Playing everything from Manic Miner to Sonic the Hedgehog, it all felt new and exciting...

Sonic's first title was in 1991.
i agree
The issue I think is that indie games being viable career choice this generation is drawing innovators away from working on AAA titles.
deleted57959

OK well then from manic Miner to Golden Axe.

Say pac-man dammit.
For me 1984 saw the release of my all time favourite and most played ever game by First Star ...... Boulderdash!
Hell no.

It's the best!

For one reason, xbox one.

With the gamesharing ability me and my mate have over 300 games now. For a fraction of the rrp.

Ive played so many awesome games in the last (nearly) 3years.

Cant wait for the new xbox next year. More importantly, cod4 in November
deleted57959

Ill respectfully disagree :), I have a massive library yet I do not want … Ill respectfully disagree :), I have a massive library yet I do not want to play any of it.

Sounds like you need a break from gaming. Your hearts not in it man, you've changed. You got old.
benjammin316

Hell no. It's the best! For one reason, xbox one. With the gamesharing … Hell no. It's the best! For one reason, xbox one. With the gamesharing ability me and my mate have over 300 games now. For a fraction of the rrp.Ive played so many awesome games in the last (nearly) 3years.Cant wait for the new xbox next year. More importantly, cod4 in November

You had me at November.

https://media.giphy.com/media/ZqlvCTNHpqrio/giphy.gif
deleted57959

You're not wrong, :(|

You must be excited for a new game on the horizon?
Is it just me who has a strong sense of déjà vu about this thread?

hotukdeals.com/mis…373
"Its the remaster gen"
Fair enough you want something different to play but then you say "Maybe the NX will be my answer?"

So more Mario then.

(sorry I couldn't help myself)
moneysavingkitten

Is it just me who has a strong sense of déjà vu about this thread? : … Is it just me who has a strong sense of déjà vu about this thread? :phttp://www.hotukdeals.com/misc/lost-interest-2195373

He hasn't lost interest telling us he's lost interest. oO
Well you had me curious so I took a look too.

hotukdeals.com/mis…880

X)
deleted57959

I thought when I posted.. but my interest did come back and then I … I thought when I posted.. but my interest did come back and then I disappeared again lol.My wife thinks i'm being pathetic about it but its depressing me, imagine your passion for gaming since your first ever 10 in 1 atari cartridge growing with you threw to years, working in game being a dream come true, buying a VMU months before the dreamcast was released in the UK, watching tomb raider move from polygon boobies to uncharted clone..for it all to be taken away overnight and complete interest fading day after day.. I feel like I have lost my heart!

I think you just have the post PlayStation press conference blues. Perhaps you need to forget about games and get out on your bike or something for the next few days. I'm sure you'l perk up again if you did last time.
MrScotchBonnet

He hasn't lost interest telling us he's lost interest. oO

X)
Nah, the Atari 2600 generation was the worst if we are talking consoles only (can't include Speccy or C64). The amount of dross being banded about as gaming back then was something else.
MrScotchBonnet

Well you had me curious so I took a look … Well you had me curious so I took a look too.http://www.hotukdeals.com/misc/is-there-sex-in-heaven-1460880X)

X)
http://i.imgur.com/GNdheX3.jpg

Edited by: "Wongy110" 9th Sep 2016
problem with this generation is most games on the console are on the pc
and the average pc has lots more horsepower then the console

when the x360 was launch average pc was still a single core cpu and pc was playing catch up

back in the snes and mega drive generation most games were console exclusive and pc had its own games
control pad was not common on pc back then playing street fighter on pc was a joke

pc was the king at first person shooters back then
console was the place to be for platformer and driving games

older generation of console also had the magic of your friend actually sitting next to you

now you scream some crap down a head phone?

digital game is all nice and handy and all

still can't beat the magic of opening a new £40 game cartridge and admire the artwork and read thru the manual
OP, I think you just need to try something new. Try a game that you might not be interested in, there is quite a variety these days and there seems to be a resurgence of Japanese games.
Perhaps Persona 5 (out in Feb), Divinity OS, Ratchet & Clank, Knack.

Just buy on disc so you can trade in if not likey.

Or drag out the PS3 and play Demon's Souls.
deleted57959

Asteroids, Pitfall, Frogger, Space Invaders and who can forget ET!

Honestly I'm not sure there are many people who could genuinely recommend more than 10 games on consoles just before the NES. Yeah there were some good ones, but many of them were just rushed projects with untested code. As you know we didn't have the luxury of patches X)
deleted57959

Ahh the manual, remember those I would go into town buy a game and read … Ahh the manual, remember those I would go into town buy a game and read the manual on the bus on the way home.

I would buy a game play it as much as I could before bed time, then read the manual instead of a book.
deleted57959

No I agree Atari stuff wasnt all that thrilling, but the spectrum now … No I agree Atari stuff wasnt all that thrilling, but the spectrum now that was where awesome began for me.

Do you ever read Retro Gamer? I can't remember what issue it was but they had a in depth interview with Matthew Smith (creator of Manic Miner and Jet Set Willy) and how he came to hear of the various rumours about him either being dead or moving to Holland and being a homeless junkie. I find some of the interviews fascinating on how the gaming industry in the UK worked back then.

And yeah, I'll never accept anyone having a bad word on the Speccy or C64
not the worst generation of gaming, it is the worst generation of game makers.
I know exactly where you are coming from.

I remember the old titles of Streets of rage, road rash, toe jam and Earl.

Today's gaming feels a lot of copy and pasting with a new layer of paint. I grow tired of games way to easily now, and move on or go into a phase of not wanting to game.

The ps4 I find as a great console, but that's mainly because it's a gaming machine before anything else.

If I pick to game on my pc, I find myself distracted with either checking new mods for fallout 4, tech news. Or where I've recently upgraded my gpu I'm finding what I can throw at it, be it side by side 3d, dsr 4k, and I see myself game jumping again. Seeing I've made no progress in any title.

I really don't VR will be the way forward. I was excited by it, but after trying the gear vr with mimecraft vr. It's an amazing example of vr, but I don't feel more excited for a ps vr, HTC vive or the rift. It's unlikely I'll own one for years to come.
I don't know OP don't own one...yet
but as a general rule of thumb in all walks of life 'Well, at one time, you've got it, and then you lose it......'
applies as much to games/gaming I expect
for me the 'peak' would be the PS2 era where I think PC gaming was just about at its best as well
benjammin316

Hell no. It's the best! For one reason, xbox one. With the gamesharing … Hell no. It's the best! For one reason, xbox one. With the gamesharing ability me and my mate have over 300 games now. For a fraction of the rrp.Ive played so many awesome games in the last (nearly) 3years.Cant wait for the new xbox next year. More importantly, cod4 in November

I agree with you 100% tho I loved the ps1/2 eras
deleted57959

I do not but I now may have too! I remember getting stuck on Monkey … I do not but I now may have too! I remember getting stuck on Monkey Island for weeks!! so I eventually rang Lucas Arts and the receptionist said to hold on and I remember put me through to some guy who told me he was part of the development team, and put me on hold for a few minutes, when he came back he said he had the team's master guide he spent about 15 minutes on the phone with me guiding me through the part I was stuck on.. he said next time I should prob ring the game puzzle helpline but wished me luck in completing it..I like to think that could of been either Ron Gilbert, Tim Schafer or Dave Grossman that helped me and i wouldnt of know who that was back then, but its completely in the realms of possibility.

Yeah that's pretty much how it worked back then. There was also an interview with a guy who published guides and Q&A for text adventures in the gaming magazines, saying that it was actually quite a big community of people chipping in helping him, going through the same games over and over to help people out, although all we saw on the front were small articles in a magazine from a guy solving puzzles from games like The Lords of Midnight
Don't forget though xcom2 comes out at the end of the month for console that should take our minds off how bad this gen is.

If not you got great looking games like Paragon (coming out of beta) new south park, for honor and Tom clancy wild lands.

Hell even the new fifa looks suprisingly better and different
UnhappyGamer

Don't forget though xcom2 comes out at the end of the month for console … Don't forget though xcom2 comes out at the end of the month for console that should take our minds off how bad this gen is.If not you got great looking games like Paragon (coming out of beta) new south park, for honor and Tom clancy wild lands.Hell even the new fifa looks suprisingly better and different

​who would of thought the UnhappyGamer trying to be optimistic...
Rid1

I would buy a game play it as much as I could before bed time, then read … I would buy a game play it as much as I could before bed time, then read the manual instead of a book.

The only game this generation I was excited about what was in the box was GTA V I used to love a good manual. I don't know why absolutely everything in life is going internet based. Btw my favourite game of all time was Cannon Fodder on the Amiga 1200. Can't beat the soundtrack!
100% agree - I think back to the games of old and remember just how bloody difficult they were... You took hours of your life to progress to level 10 only to die and have to start the whole game from the start It was more of a challenge and you felt you had stuck at it...

My kids play games nowadays and they are all very similar....Download... play manically for 30 mins and progress to level 150... bin... go back to game store... Where is the fun?
I don't even a ps4 or xbox one I dont see the point.

The problem with modern gaming is this

1 money: games cost so much to make now days its very dangerous not to play safe, sticking to existing IPs or riding on the coat tails of proven successful ones from other devs, thus everything is pretty much the same, plus the amount of shareholder involvement (remember they aint gamers) keeps creativity at a minimum as they hate risks, ultimately it is the shareholders who have the last word on what gets made. That is also why games are now shorter, released in unfinished state and full of DLC. Its all a game of carefully calculating dev costs to profit margins at the key stages of the year.

2 big budgets, as well as what I've said up there its also worth remembering that a hell of a lot more work goes into games now just so the public will not turn their noses up at it, a game has to look presentable first and foremost in this day of Internet videos they are judged more now on looks and sound then ever, playability is never going to be something that can be conveyed via watching something so the priorities have changed in the games industry from making something that gets amazing reviews in mags and talked about round the playground to something that has Hollywood style visuals to wow the viewer into sharing the trailers and other footage many times over, pre orders were unheard of in the 80s but now make up the bulk of sales.

3 reason 3 carries on from the other 2, with the need for shareholders investment being ever more important to produce Hollywood style visuals to appeal to modern gamers and the risk aversion that comes with spending so much money the talent is not there anymore or is hog tied into submission, devs have very little say in what by goes on in a large company and people are employed more on what uni they attended then what they may have made in their bedrooms and as with everything the lure of money means more and more people are in the industry because they can be rather than because they should be, if you look at the 80s it was bedroom programmes wasting 100s of hours for diddly squat mostly, very few people actually made a decent living it was all about the passion and the talented got rewarded. Now everyone who owned a snes had been to uni because gaming is fun and they heard they can earn 30k a year, its not actually because they have any decent ideas really.

But we have the indie scene which is increasingly growing, so there is hope of a revival, thats full of talent and more freedom and offers the nearest you are going to get to 80s gaming.
I got Pong in the mid-70's as a wee lad. Now that was TREMENDOUS!!!!

If you look at gaming over the years the emphasis has changed which isn't always a good thing. The main parts used to be gameplay and length of the game. Now it's graphics and expensive sound tracks.

I mean look at the likes of Sensible Soccer one button control on Amiga with SWOS becoming one of the most loved soccer games ever. You compare to FIFA and PES but game play people prefer the nice simple rather the 5button combo for this that and the other.

If you also think of gens of consoles you add more to the controller like touch pad on ps4. Double shoulder buttons on PS3. Think back to mega drive and it's just a b c with one direction d pad and snes with it 4 plus shoulder buttons even with the limited controller compared to today Street fighter two on snes still stands out.

If you look all the games for current gen they seem to be out ideas and there is far too many copies, Everything seems to be open world but limited as in you can do the same thing 100times wether it's mad max or gtv you see the same person and have to do the same thing but on most games still have to do everything an order. Look at far cry 3/4 you can't just go across the bridge even with the helicopter or fly to the top of the mountain.

Gamers have just seen it all before and too many times now. Another big on is unlockables look at games like GT you have to complete driving class you. I still remember driver or ps2 I know quite a few people that couldn't do the test at the beginning so never played the game.

Also have to look a the amount of bugs, Any console pre ps2 games were never patched.
But when you look at AS syndicate the patch on PS4 was over 1.5 gb did it even get beta tested...

Also they are not happy charging for the game once you now have downloadable content. The last of us released new dlc within a week of the game. I remember gauntlet on com64 where you goto level 100 and had to rewind the tape and it would just go on forever.
Edited by: "tri_94" 10th Sep 2016
tri_94

...and it would just go on forever.

...until a coherent point was established.
scrumpypaul

I got Pong in the mid-70's as a wee lad. Now that was TREMENDOUS!!!!

Did you keep that nickname throughout school, or just when you stopped wetting yourself?
fanpages

Did you keep that nickname throughout school, or just when you stopped … Did you keep that nickname throughout school, or just when you stopped wetting yourself?

very good, very good....
tri_94

If you look at gaming over the years the emphasis has changed which isn't … If you look at gaming over the years the emphasis has changed which isn't always a good thing. The main parts used to be gameplay and length of the game. Now it's graphics and expensive sound tracks.I mean look at the likes of Sensible Soccer one button control on Amiga with SWOS becoming one of the most loved soccer games ever. You compare to FIFA and PES but game play people prefer the nice simple rather the 5button combo for this that and the other. If you also think of gens of consoles you add more to the controller like touch pad on ps4. Double shoulder buttons on PS3. Think back to mega drive and it's just a b c with one direction d pad and snes with it 4 plus shoulder buttons even with the limited controller compared to today Street fighter two on snes still stands out. If you look all the games for current gen they seem to be out ideas and there is far too many copies, Everything seems to be open world but limited as in you can do the same thing 100times wether it's mad max or gtv you see the same person and have to do the same thing but on most games still have to do everything an order. Look at far cry 3/4 you can't just go across the bridge even with the helicopter or fly to the top of the mountain. Gamers have just seen it all before and too many times now. Another big on is unlockables look at games like GT you have to complete driving class you. I still remember driver or ps2 I know quite a few people that couldn't do the test at the beginning so never played the game. Also have to look a the amount of bugs, Any console pre ps2 games were never patched.But when you look at AS syndicate the patch on PS4 was over 1.5 gb did it even get beta tested...Also they are not happy charging for the game once you now have downloadable content. The last of us released new dlc within a week of the game. I remember gauntlet on com64 where you goto level 100 and had to rewind the tape and it would just go on forever.

Snes controllers had 9 buttons, d-pad, start, select, 4 face buttons and two shoulder buttons. Mega drive had a pads released for it with 6 face buttons too for playing sf2 sce, that made both systems the same as the arcade machine btw.
Edited by: "Segata-Sanshiro" 10th Sep 2016
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants