Groups

Is this TN Panel a good deal?

amazon.co.uk/ASU…ync

It's £550 but in the Amazon comments history it seems to of always been that price. I do need a new monitor, and it ticks all the boxes APART from being an IPS display. I'm not interested in 4k, I don't want anything bigger or smaller than 27 inch. I could go 24, but I feel the 1440p would be wasted. I read that TN panels in general have washed colours, but when I read reviews on some of the more recent monitors people say the colours are alot better than they used to be (for TN).

I just can't seem to find any deals, even in the past of the spec I want (1440p/144Hz/GSync/27inch). I'm late to the party, with it being around for so long and never dropping in price, I don't know whether to wait or buy this. Assuming this is the 2nd Gen of GSync, theres nothing new in the pipeline is there?

Advice appreciated.

15 Comments

Its not a bad price but nothing special. It really depends on exactly what you want, if you aren't fussed about G-Sync then this could be worth a look. I have the PG278Q and it looks pretty awesome to me, image quality is great.

Burnz0

I read that TN panels in general have washed colours

Not really.

The issue with TN is that it has very narrow vertical viewing angles which typically leads to a slight colour gradiant between the top and bottom of the screen, particularly noticable in pink/purple and turquoise.

That's why it was never the choice of people working with images that needed to have exact colours.

I'm not aware of any other colour issues that are caused by TN specifically. General colour perception is down to other factors such as the colour spectrum produces by the backlight and distortion produced by the anti-reflective coating.

Burnz0

Assuming this is the 2nd Gen of GSync, theres nothing new in the pipeline … Assuming this is the 2nd Gen of GSync, theres nothing new in the pipeline is there?

Nothing new? There are some of the biggest changes to displays coming over the next 5 years in HDR and HighDPI. Nvidia announced a G-sync HDR certification program at CES in January and HiDPI continues to rumble along gathering support. And with OLED TVs actually in production the eternal promise of self-emitting displays could materialise too (and judging from the TVs, they're deliver a lot better than Duke Nukem Forever).

New technologies come with early adopter issues though, so it does make perfect sense to buy a top example of solid, proven technology

Original Poster

jharris1981

Its not a bad price but nothing special. It really depends on exactly … Its not a bad price but nothing special. It really depends on exactly what you want, if you aren't fussed about G-Sync then this could be worth a look. I have the PG278Q and it looks pretty awesome to me, image quality is great.

Thanks I'll check it out.

Original Poster

Burnz0

I read that TN panels in general have washed colours

Burnz0

Assuming this is the 2nd Gen of GSync, theres nothing new in the … Assuming this is the 2nd Gen of GSync, theres nothing new in the pipeline is there?

Thanks for the detailed answer, I would probably want to get a monitor before the next 5 years though. I probably should of said anything worth waiting for, but I might just hold off. The display I'm looking at upgrading is a 1080p TN panel from about 5 years ago, the viewing angles don't really bother me and its nice not to have to worry about bleeding. I know it sounds strange, but I'm afraid if I buy an IPS panel I would become "used" to the greatness you mention.

I'm going to hold off, I just wish they would make GSync a little bit cheaper. I was honestly temped to pick up an AMD card, because I would save a bit of money. I've always had nvidia cards though, and they haven't skipped a beat.

Burnz0

Thanks for the detailed answer, I would probably want to get a monitor … Thanks for the detailed answer, I would probably want to get a monitor before the next 5 years though. I probably should of said anything worth waiting for, but I might just hold off.

HiDPI screens have been out for a couple of years and HDR screens like the XB272-HDR and PG27UQ are targeted for release in the second quarter of this year. Although similar TVs start at £1500 so I'd expect them to launch at substantially more than £500.

In five years time I'd expect them to be the sort of £200-300 display anyone who wants something more than the basics buys now..

Burnz0

The display I'm looking at upgrading is a 1080p TN panel from about 5 … The display I'm looking at upgrading is a 1080p TN panel from about 5 years ago, the viewing angles don't really bother me and its nice not to have to worry about bleeding. I know it sounds strange, but I'm afraid if I buy an IPS panel I would become "used" to the greatness you mention.

I didn't mention any greatness. The only universal difference between them is the viewing angles, everything else like contrast, response time, colour and so on varies at least as much between screen/panel models as it does between matrix types.

Burnz0

I'm going to hold off, I just wish they would make GSync a little bit … I'm going to hold off, I just wish they would make GSync a little bit cheaper. I was honestly temped to pick up an AMD card, because I would save a bit of money. I've always had nvidia cards though, and they haven't skipped a beat.

It's usually the bits provided by the card manufacturer that fail such as capacitors. Silicon chips very rarely go wrong.

I bought a TN monitor and regret it every time I turn on my PC

Original Poster

EndlessWaves

[quote=Burnz0] I didn't mention any greatness. The only universal … [quote=Burnz0] I didn't mention any greatness. The only universal difference between them is the viewing angles, everything else like contrast, response time, colour and so on varies at least as much between screen/panel models as it does between matrix types.

You said you didn't mention greatness, but making that point its implies IPS arn't that great either? Going back to the question, I want to spend no more than £500 on a screen that would last me another 5 years. What would you recommend given the criteria mentioned earlier?

Burnz0

You said you didn't mention greatness, but making that point its implies … You said you didn't mention greatness, but making that point its implies IPS arn't that great either? Going back to the question, I want to spend no more than £500 on a screen that would last me another 5 years. What would you recommend given the criteria mentioned earlier?

If I can jump in, the big problem with IPS is a phenomenon called IPS Glow, which you can Google to see examples of.

There is no such thing as a perfect monitor at the moment. TN and IPS are both equally flawed and VA is at best a middle ground. There isn't a display tech in the world that ticks all the boxes you'd want out of a display yet, and won't be for at least another five years (Dell did get admirably close with their 4k OLED 32" 144Hz panel, but it languished in development hell before being scrapped for quality reasons), so for now, you just have to pick the one that's least unsuitable for your needs.

dxx

If I can jump in, the big problem with IPS is a phenomenon called IPS … If I can jump in, the big problem with IPS is a phenomenon called IPS Glow, which you can Google to see examples of.

I'm glad you mentioned this, I had been meaning to post the same myself. I bought two Dell U2711's some time ago and ended up sending them both back due to excessive glow issues, i'm MUCH happier with the PG278Q and dont honestly think viewing angles are an issue provided you have a fairly standard desk setup.

Original Poster

dxx

If I can jump in, the big problem with IPS is a phenomenon called IPS … If I can jump in, the big problem with IPS is a phenomenon called IPS Glow, which you can Google to see examples of. There is no such thing as a perfect monitor at the moment. TN and IPS are both equally flawed and VA is at best a middle ground. There isn't a display tech in the world that ticks all the boxes you'd want out of a display yet, and won't be for at least another five years (Dell did get admirably close with their 4k OLED 32" 144Hz panel, but it languished in development hell before being scrapped for quality reasons), so for now, you just have to pick the one that's least unsuitable for your needs.

Okay thanks, ALL this info has been useful to be honest. I knew all the facts but it was hard for me to decide having never bought/used an IPS monitor before. I wanted the "best" tech for me, so it would last me a decent number of years. You can probably tell from my comments I had done abit of research, but HotDeals is a community that will s**t on you for having an incorrect fact which (in this instance) is why I posted here.

Most other forums seem to slate TN monitors because of their contrast/colours being the main drawback (which I'm not disputing an opinion), but I didn't know how much of it was biased and if any of them had actually bought a TN panel recently. They "sound" like they have improved since I bought mine, but even though colours may appear washed for some, I've always had TN panels and they look fine.

I remember back in the Ivybridge motherboard era, I bought an ASUS XONAR sound card. I became used to using the soundcard's higher quality, and simply couldn't go back to onboard sound. Onboard sound wasn't as good as it is now, but maybe that could be relatable here? (with the visual quality difference).

It's weighing that up against the fact that there is a chance a £600-£700 monitor could start to bleed after a year or 2. It's not guaranteed to happen, but my luck with electronics is terrible. I honestly can't diss TN panels though, the one I'm replacing is really nice, and still going strong. The only reason I'm upgrading is for a bigger display, 1440p and 144Hz/GSync (It would be nice to run games above 60fps for once).

I'm probably not going to jump on the amazon one, but maybe wait for a deal to pop up then check the reviews.
    Edited by: "LeftResponse" 21st Feb

Original Poster

jharris1981

I'm glad you mentioned this, I had been meaning to post the same myself. … I'm glad you mentioned this, I had been meaning to post the same myself. I bought two Dell U2711's some time ago and ended up sending them both back due to excessive glow issues, i'm MUCH happier with the PG278Q and dont honestly think viewing angles are an issue provided you have a fairly standard desk setup.

Yes it was a good comment, well all comments have been. That was the reason I've been looking at TN Panels for the last week. How much did you pay for your PG278Q?

Burnz0

Yes it was a good comment, well all comments have been. That was the … Yes it was a good comment, well all comments have been. That was the reason I've been looking at TN Panels for the last week. How much did you pay for your PG278Q?

I'm lucky that I have a friend I bought it second hand from, I think i paid £350 but it was in perfect condition still in the box! There is a chance he still has one to sell (he had 3 of them originally) so I could potentially ask him if you're interested?

Original Poster

jharris1981

I'm lucky that I have a friend I bought it second hand from, I think i … I'm lucky that I have a friend I bought it second hand from, I think i paid £350 but it was in perfect condition still in the box! There is a chance he still has one to sell (he had 3 of them originally) so I could potentially ask him if you're interested?

Yeah, I would pay £350 for a second hand one. If he has any left, could you let me know where abouts in the UK he is?

dxx

If I can jump in, the big problem with IPS is a phenomenon called IPS … If I can jump in, the big problem with IPS is a phenomenon called IPS Glow, which you can Google to see examples of.

All LCD have imperfect viewing angles. IPS glow is preferred to TN gradiants because it's less severe and fairly colour neutral.

VA panels have an effect called black crush where the shades of black shift relative to each other horizontally so the center of the screen can lose some shadow details (or the outside get washed out depending on how it's calibrated).

Burnz0

You said you didn't mention greatness, but making that point its implies … You said you didn't mention greatness, but making that point its implies IPS arn't that great either?

My point is that if you're not bothered about viewing angles or colour/brightness shift behaviour then the panel type isn't important to you. Focus on the general quality of the screen instead.

Burnz0

Going back to the question, I want to spend no more than £500 on a screen … Going back to the question, I want to spend no more than £500 on a screen that would last me another 5 years. What would you recommend given the criteria mentioned earlier?

I haven't really looked at those smaller monitors (for that resolution) as they wouldn't work too well on my desk. A quick check suggests that the PG278QR you're considering is a good screen generally but suffers from poor default calibration. The older PG278Q version also had an unusually grainy anti-glare coating but I couldn't see in a quick check whether they'd changed it on the updated version.

There's a good thread here that covers 27" 2560x1440 screens:
    wecravegamestoo.com/for…tml

Personally if I had to buy now I'd start by looking at the ultra-wide 2560x1080 35" VA models which are around £500, but whether they'd suit you I don't know. They're a similar height to the 27" 16:9 screens, just wider, and you do get 34" 3440x1440 IPS panels if you want a higher resolution for having the monitor closer.

Original Poster

EndlessWaves

Personally if I had to buy now I'd start by looking at the ultra-wide … Personally if I had to buy now I'd start by looking at the ultra-wide 2560x1080 35" VA models which are around £500, but whether they'd suit you I don't know. They're a similar height to the 27" 16:9 screens, just wider, and you do get 34" 3440x1440 IPS panels if you want a higher resolution for having the monitor closer.

I don't have enough room on my desk for an ultrawide screen unfortunately, and ideally I want to utilize my new rig so 1440p would be still be the criteria over that 1080p you suggested. I'm going to have a read through that link you posted, every monitor has its problems so I'll just see what there is out there. Thanks for that.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. One for the mathmeticians2236
      2. Story of the day1724
      3. The HDUK home for Star Trek: Discovery1422
      4. Spotify Family Premium share824

See more discussions