Is this too good to be true (gumtree sale)

Found 13th Mar
I am selling something on Gumtree , a video card, And somebody has got back to me offering me the full price , to be paid by paypal, and they will send a courier to collect it.
I am a bit suspicious as they say they are disabled and that is why they wont collect it themselves. I trust paypal , but can someone reverse or somehow get back a paypal payment once paid? And when is it actually "in" your account.
or if they're genuine
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
omar02059 m ago

No I've done this method hundreds of time and so far it's been safe

You've been very lucky then. Terrible advice.
18 Comments
Short answer is Yes. By saying not as described/broken etc

Not sure Paypal protection includes where the item has been collected. If sent, it has to be to the Paypal Verified address so you better read the Ts&Cs
It's so obvious and common a scam that Gumtree themselves warn you about it in their sidebar.
They will claim they never received it, PayPal will ask you for proof of delivery and you won't have it because you didn't post it out yourself, they get refund and free item.
Done further reading, and this looks def like a scam. They mentioned computer rather than VideoCard and it seems that its very easy to dispute a payment with PayPal, so that they can claim not to have received said item or that it was defective in some way, and then get a refund from PayPaL.

Cash on Collection now ..
Edited by: "GwanGy" 13th Mar
Sorry to butt in with a PP question about reversing payments.

If someone pays money into my account, then I withdraw the money to my bank account.
What happens if the "payer" tries to reverse the payment and what is the timescale they can reverse a payment?

Thank you.
Derek_Horatio_Shatwell4 m ago

Sorry to butt in with a PP question about reversing payments.If someone …Sorry to butt in with a PP question about reversing payments.If someone pays money into my account, then I withdraw the money to my bank account.What happens if the "payer" tries to reverse the payment and what is the timescale they can reverse a payment? Thank you.

Attached to your Paypal account is a credit card or bank account. In your Ts&Cs, you agreed that Paypal could do WtheF they liked with your bank account/credit card.

It will be your problem. Your cost.
Avoid.

You have been warned.

Ask for proof of their disability, just for a laugh.
Edited by: "dataload" 13th Mar
they say the item was never received ans the money is gone
omar02059 m ago

You've been very lucky then. Terrible advice.
ccnp2 h, 12 m ago

Attached to your Paypal account is a credit card or bank account. In your …Attached to your Paypal account is a credit card or bank account. In your Ts&Cs, you agreed that Paypal could do WtheF they liked with your bank account/credit card.It will be your problem. Your cost.

Thank you for the reply.

Would you know about a timescale part of the question?
I had the same thing on a television on ebay. The guy said he was registered blind and would have it picked up. Suggested there was no need for him to have a TV if he couldnt see. Scams.
Derek_Horatio_Shatwell20 m ago

Thank you for the reply.Would you know about a timescale part of the …Thank you for the reply.Would you know about a timescale part of the question?

180 days.
Scam..!! The 'I am disabled...' story has been going on for YEARS on gumtree. I wouldn't sell to anyone who cant come to you and pay cash in hand. Been selling on Gumtree for a few years and never used Paypal/card to take payments etc.
Ask for bank transfer. You'll never hear from them again.
Yeah, you won't have proof of delivery (tracking number showing delivered) so they can claim item not received... Only safe way would be if the courier pays you cash when they collect... Then no claims can be made after.
Avoid
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions