is this tv 10bit??

Found 14th Oct 2017
Is the Sony KD-55XE8577 a 10 bit panel?
The answer to that question will probably answer this one but if I can pick this tv up for £950.00 with a 6 or 7 year warranty (depending who I buy from) is it a good deal?

It's that awkward in between price where I feel I should hold of for an oled deal?

Cheers

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
5 Comments

Original Poster

I meant to say I noticed this tv is native 100hz as opposed to most of the others which are generally 50hz. Is there a better tv at this price point?

I think it is 10bit, but it's a very middle of the range tv and is just edge lit.

"HDR is easy to support in software but requires very powerful hardware. X85E is one of these TVs. You can see from our measurements in the measurement table in the previous section that it does not come close to fulfilling the ’UHD Premium’ certification that the industry has agreed on; something that I consider minimum requirements for reproducing HDR video."

I think most TVs which don't have full array local dimming suffer just like that also

The Samsung equivalent is the MU7000, so maybe have a look at reviews of that. If you could pick up last year's KS7000/8000/9000 Samsung they are much better than both.

I'm not sure if it has a 10-bit panel or not but If you're asking how well it reproduces 10-bit HDR content then it's support is limited. It does have a decent colour gamut but no local dimming at all.

If HDR is a high priority then I'd definitely look further up the range.
MIDURIX1 h, 11 m ago

it does not come close to fulfilling the ’UHD Premium’ certification that t …it does not come close to fulfilling the ’UHD Premium’ certification that the industry has agreed on.

I'm not sure it's fair to say the industry has agreed upon it considering only LG, Samsung and Philips have had their TVs certified. Even in just the European market Sony, Panasonic and Hisense all make TVs that qualify but haven't bothered:
uhdalliance.org/tv/

It's also a very simplistic certification from a technical standpoint. It doesn't capture the aspects most important for HDR performance and It's value relies on manufacturers only applying it to good TVs.

Original Poster

Thanks. Its not a high priority but I'd like to have the option if I'm spending that kind of money. I guess I will hold out for and oled deal and if none appear I will probably take a £600ish model in the meantime. I don't mind spending extra money to a certain degree however I'm not paying extra for nothing.
Post a comment
@
    Text