Expired

Is this tyre bulge safe to drive on?

59 replies
Found 16th Apr 2011
Was giving my car a good clean today when I came across this tyre bulge. It must have been from a pot hole I hit a few months ago (I didn't see any damage at the time). Anyone know if it is still safe to drive on? The tyres walls are re-inforced (runflats) if that makes any difference.

1. Misc
  2. Tyres
Groups
  1. Misc
  2. Tyres
59 Comments

Original Poster

http://img130.imageshack.us/img130/7379/bulgex.jpg
http://img638.imageshack.us/img638/3656/bulge2g.jpg

Also thought I'd post this before and after picture after cleaning them as I felt quite pleased with the results :-)

http://img824.imageshack.us/img824/3707/before2a.jpg
http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/8013/after2v.jpg

Edited by: "flyingflea" 16th Apr 2011

Looks like a cyst.

Missed abit

all joking aside.

would recommend it getting changed asap. could bust, especially if driving on motorways. causing deflation and loss of control.

its not worth the risk tbh.

Edited by: "kyleg44" 16th Apr 2011

I wouldn't pass it on an mot, so its a no from me !

I'd get it replaced tbh, don't wanna be messing with your tyres or brakes they are kinda essential to staying on the road...

deffo wouldn't risk it.. imagine if you had a blow out on the motorway!

I'll say 2 things and be on way.
The fact your asking suggests you're not entirely happy about it and it'll be playing on your mind.
Secondly, your insurance company, moreso any third party would be very interested in this thread should the worst happen.......

Any deforming or bulging tyre I wouldn't risk driving on. It's probably failing and would certainly fail an MOT.

get it changed or risk a blow out whilst driving, I don't believe these can be repaired.

new tyre..i think we all agree-not worth the risk x

i wouldnt drive on it but thats just my opinion. last year i took a tiny chunk out of one of my tyres so just went to a local garage and asked their opinion on if it was dangerous, luckily it wasnt. maybe you should pop to a garage for an experts advice? better than risking your life

id get it changed hun, also if pulled over by the police and they see that they might give you a fine and points on your licence

vinylandtrinkets

id get it changed hun, also if pulled over by the police and they see … id get it changed hun, also if pulled over by the police and they see that they might give you a fine and points on your licence

Coppers round your way must be more observant than round here if you think they would spot that

Original Poster

OK looks like I'll be changing it on monday, thanks for the advice. Guess I been lucky so far!

The reason I hesitated changing it is because these tyres cost £150 a corner to replace and there's still plenty of tread remaining. I always replace tyres in pairs so this pot hole will have effectively cost me £300!

When I had a bulge in my old Peugeot, I got it replaced straight away but I didn't mind so much at £40 a go.

Edited by: "flyingflea" 17th Apr 2011

It could be lethal, do not even drive another mile on it.

Banned

i wouldn't drive more than 60 with it myself but i don't know you so i don't really care if you have a blowout and your car catches fire

flyingflea

The reason I hesitated changing it is because these tyres cost £150 a … The reason I hesitated changing it is because these tyres cost £150 a corner to replace and there's still plenty of tread remaining. I always replace tyres in pairs so this pot hole will have effectively cost me £300!

Can you recall where it happened (and was the hole 'unavoidable')? It might be worth a call to the local council from the area, and asking which dept. you need to contact to give the bill for damage to?

P.S Nice drive BTW!

Can't you swap it for the spare?

Original Poster

flyingflea

The reason I hesitated changing it is because these tyres cost £150 a … The reason I hesitated changing it is because these tyres cost £150 a corner to replace and there's still plenty of tread remaining. I always replace tyres in pairs so this pot hole will have effectively cost me £300!

DAMNOME

Can't you swap it for the spare?

Cheers The pot hole (which I called mini Australia) was unavoidable and was just after a brow of a hill. My father hit the same one and bent his alloy and another friend of mine hit it and damaged his suspension! Only my father has put a claim in though and it's currently going being assessed by the council's insurance companies. The pot hole has since been filled in and I'll only bother claiming if his is successful.

The mini uses runflat tyres hence why it doesn't have one.

Banned

£150a corner? You're being ripped off

Banned

And you realise the run flat technology relies on the strength of the tyre sidewall which is obviously compromised by the bulge.

stewby

Coppers round your way must be more observant than round here if you … Coppers round your way must be more observant than round here if you think they would spot that

no just dont stop any other crimes, just pick on motorists

jelli89

Can you recall where it happened (and was the hole 'unavoidable')? It … Can you recall where it happened (and was the hole 'unavoidable')? It might be worth a call to the local council from the area, and asking which dept. you need to contact to give the bill for damage to?P.S Nice drive BTW!

jelli step away from the man's driveway, you've got enough to do

Original Poster

dimebars

£150a corner? You're being ripped off

Care to show me where I can get a new Dunlop runflat tyre fitted for less?

205/45R17 84V

Banned

Simple. Dont fit run flats. And try black circles and camskill.

Original Poster

dimebars

Simple. Dont fit run flats. And try black circles and camskill.

Using non runflats would void my insurance and possibly my warranty too.

The Therapist

http://www.tesco-tyres.com/order/tyres/searchhttp://www.bestbuytyres.co.uk/tyre-search/http://www.halfordsautocentres.com/Tyres-Results?sw=245&ar=45&rd=17&sr=ALL&ds=1&m=1&q=1

Thanks for the links but looks like £150 is the best price for a Dunlop runflat fully fitted.

all minis are supplied with a skinny in the boot, switch and get it replaced

gambe1984

all minis are supplied with a skinny in the boot, switch and get it … all minis are supplied with a skinny in the boot, switch and get it replaced

have you seen the amount of boot space you get in a new mini oO they are supplied with a can of tyre weld & a compressor.

richp

jelli step away from the man's driveway, you've got enough to do

http://www.sherv.net/cm/emo/sad/cry-blow.gif

Banned

gambe1984

all minis are supplied with a skinny in the boot, switch and get it … all minis are supplied with a skinny in the boot, switch and get it replaced

?

Original Poster

gambe1984

No, spare tyres on Mini's are optional extras as runflat tyres come as standard. I'll get both front tyres replaced first thing tomorrow morning.

richp

have you seen the amount of boot space you get in a new mini oO they are … have you seen the amount of boot space you get in a new mini oO they are supplied with a can of tyre weld & a compressor.

I think the optional space saver tyre usually goes underneath the car (released from the boot).

why would you get both fronts changed unless the other is low on tread?
Edited by: "numptyj" 17th Apr 2011

flyingflea

/\ are you sure oO

Banned

flyingflea that is the weirdest thing ever if true, not having run flats would just void your breakdown cover

Original Poster

flyingflea

numptyj

why would you get both fronts changed unless the other is low on tread?

Yes, my insurance company told me that using non-runflats would invalidate my insurance policy. Something about using equipment contrary to the manufacturer's advice. Not all insurance companies are the same though.

I always change tyres in pairs. Having one tyre on the same axel with just a few mm more tread would upset the handling characteristics not to mention the ABS + TCS.

flyingflea

Yes, my insurance company told me that using non-runflats would … Yes, my insurance company told me that using non-runflats would invalidate my insurance policy. Something about using equipment contrary to the manufacturer's advice. Not all insurance companies are the same though.I always change tyres in pairs. Having one tyre on the same axel with just a few mm more tread would upset the handling characteristics not to mention the ABS + TCS.

lol I very much doubt it, you're not in a racing car a couple of mm is not going to make a difference

numptyj

lol I very much doubt it, you're not in a racing car a couple of mm is … lol I very much doubt it, you're not in a racing car a couple of mm is not going to make a difference

Of course it it will, it will throw the whole handling of the car out of balance.

LOL, Funniest thread ever!

Using Non-Run Flats voiding Insurance and warranty, then they throw in a spare the size of a 5p coin! You do realise you'd be driving without insurance when you use the spare, and your warranty is voided if you breakdown with that on it.

bargain surfer

LOL, Funniest thread ever!Using Non-Run Flats voiding Insurance and … LOL, Funniest thread ever!Using Non-Run Flats voiding Insurance and warranty, then they throw in a spare the size of a 5p coin! You do realise you'd be driving without insurance when you use the spare, and your warranty is voided if you breakdown with that on it.

Even funnier when the OP has clearly stated that it doesn't have a spare wheel of any kind.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Wow apple you really are bad2027
    2. Anyone else bored of video gaming2747
    3. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19247658
    4. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7769550

See more discussions