Is this usual deisel usage ?

Posted 11th Mar
hi, got my car serviced week before last week, I suspect it started eating lots of diesel now, passat 2008 2.0

I filled in on friday, it only did 40 miles and now gauge is as below,

3420784-24KsI.jpg
Community Updates
Ask
15 Comments
Sure you weren't robbed?
esar11/03/2020 15:22

Sure you weren't robbed?

its happening graduley, so i suspect not, i noticed it last week as well before filling the tank
Could be a faulty gauge sender unit, you'd have to see how much you can get in it, to know though
Get the garage that serviced it to put it up on ramps to check pipes for leaks
esar11/03/2020 15:29

Could be a faulty gauge sender unit, you'd have to see how much you can …Could be a faulty gauge sender unit, you'd have to see how much you can get in it, to know though Get the garage that serviced it to put it up on ramps to check pipes for leaks

I moved to another city, seems like I will have to go to another garage, thanks
esar11/03/2020 15:29

Could be a faulty gauge sender unit, you'd have to see how much you can …Could be a faulty gauge sender unit, you'd have to see how much you can get in it, to know though Get the garage that serviced it to put it up on ramps to check pipes for leaks

Does the fuel usgage looks more then usual ?
Edited by: "Hunt_Deal_Hunt" 11th Mar
Did they change the fuel filter? If they did then it is probably leaking.
Willy_Wonka11/03/2020 15:32

Did they change the fuel filter? If they did then it is probably leaking.

Yes they did
1/8th of a tank means 320 miles on a full tank. 2005-2011 diesel passats appear to have a 70L fuel tank. That's 15.4 gallons meaning 21mpg

You don't give the exact variant, but even the most powerful 2.0 diesel estate with 4x4 has reported averages of about 40mpg.

If you're going lots of short journeys on a cold engine you might get that far below average. If that 40 miles was done in just one or two journeys then there's likely something wrong.
EndlessWaves11/03/2020 15:49

1/8th of a tank means 320 miles on a full tank. 2005-2011 diesel passats …1/8th of a tank means 320 miles on a full tank. 2005-2011 diesel passats appear to have a 70L fuel tank. That's 15.4 gallons meaning 21mpgYou don't give the exact variant, but even the most powerful 2.0 diesel estate with 4x4 has reported averages of about 40mpg.If you're going lots of short journeys on a cold engine you might get that far below average. If that 40 miles was done in just one or two journeys then there's likely something wrong.

3 journeys
You need to probably measure from max to min to find out your true average MPG.
Hunt_Deal_Hunt11/03/2020 15:44

Yes they did

Well that is more than likely your answer. To prove it park your car (after filling up a bit) in a space with no stains on the ground & leave for a few hours the move your car & have a look at the ground. Failing that then follow your car & you should be able to see spraying coming from the bottom of your car when its driving.
Edited by: "Willy_Wonka" 11th Mar
.MUFC.11/03/2020 16:11

You need to probably measure from max to min to find out your true average …You need to probably measure from max to min to find out your true average MPG.

Only a Bugatti would empty a full tank of fuel within 80 miles
Willy_Wonka11/03/2020 16:20

Only a Bugatti would empty a full tank of fuel within 80 miles

It's still over 3/4 of a tank.
Mine is a 1.9d, and does exactly the same.
Goes up slow as heck. And then eventually gets to the top.
I did notice it go alright when I had a service, but went exactly the same way again after 4 or 5 months. Dont bother me much anymore.
It is unusual 'deisel' spellage
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Discussions

Top Merchants