Is this what I need to get data from a hard drive?

Morning all,

I need to get the data off the hard drive of my broken PC. Assuming there is nothing wrong with the hard drive, is this the sort of thing I need to get?
play.com/PC/…tml
Also, is it easy enough to do for a novice?

Thanks as always.

17 Comments

More suitable for Misc being a question..

Something like this will do the trick mate, ive used this one before.

]http//ww…8-4

very easy to do

EDIT: yeh it depends if you have need a SATA or IDE caddy?? the link ive posted is for an IDE.

yes, providing you hard drive is SATA. if not then youd want an IDE caddy.

you can get other devices that done have an actual case. do a search on the bay for ide/sata to usb and u'l c what i mean.

dre1988;8066527

Something like this will do the trick mate, ive used this one … Something like this will do the trick mate, ive used this one before.]http://www.amazon.co.uk/LUPO-Inch-Hard-Drive-Case/dp/B0030YBLPQ/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1268220456&sr=8-4

2.5 size disk for laptops. OP mentions its from his PC, suspect a 3.5 drive

lanc_red;8066537

2.5 size disk for laptops. OP mentions its from his PC, suspect a 3.5 … 2.5 size disk for laptops. OP mentions its from his PC, suspect a 3.5 drive

Yeah cheers, read it too quickly lol

Banned

just stick the drive in another pc

]http//ww…8-6

This ones had good revies if you require a SATA.

assuming the drive is sata, yes

doesn't seem a bad price, you can also buy a USB to SATA cable + power supply. Basically the same but without the box.

If you want to keep the harddrive and use it as an external drive, get the box. If you just want to get the data off, then have a look for the cable, it might be cheaper - i got one for £10 at the weekend.
Is the drive from a desktop or laptop? If its a laptop, you can get smaller cases that don't require a PSU.

Or buy a dock, then it will cover you for 2.5" and 3.5" drives. ]Here

Banned

why all the chat about an enclosure / cables etc

sounds like the OP just wants to get the data off the drive or use the data so no need to spend anything. just plug into new pc as an external drive (should have cables already in it).

csiman;8066625

why all the chat about an enclosure / cables etcsounds like the OP just … why all the chat about an enclosure / cables etcsounds like the OP just wants to get the data off the drive or use the data so no need to spend anything. just plug into new pc as an external drive (should have cables already in it).

Because the link that the OP posted and was asking about in the first post was a link to a hard drive enclosure at play.com

Original Poster

csiman;8066625

why all the chat about an enclosure / cables etcsounds like the OP just … why all the chat about an enclosure / cables etcsounds like the OP just wants to get the data off the drive or use the data so no need to spend anything. just plug into new pc as an external drive (should have cables already in it).

Thanks everyone for all your quick replies - I knew I would get sound info from here so rep to you all!

csiman is right though, this is all I want to do but how do i do this? What cables and does it involve opening new PC (got the Dell Vostro 430 posted on here).

Also, thinks the HD is IDE, it's about 6 years old.

if you want to just put it in another pc you dont need anything lol maybe a screwdriver lol as long as its compatible

Original Poster

dre1988;8066731

if you want to just put it in another pc you dont need anything lol maybe … if you want to just put it in another pc you dont need anything lol maybe a screwdriver lol as long as its compatible

Do you know if there is a slot I could do this with the Dell Vostro 430 posted ]here

If it is this PC you are talking about then it is probable a IDE drive and the vostro 430 doesnt have a IDE connector.You might want to look for a cheap IDE enclosure but first you need to check what drive you have
hotukdeals.com/ite…061

Do you know which of these it takes
http://gallery.techarena.in/data/513/sata-ide_lg.jpg

Original Poster

tonyg1962;8066792

Do you know which of these it takes

Not got as far as taking it out of the PC yet, will have a look and report back.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7763957
    2. Better watch out for these...912
    3. so sick of this summer weather enough .......1930
    4. GOT Leaks again514

See more discussions