Is this wireless router with adaptors any good for the money?

Linksys router £69 (with adaptor)
ebuyer.com/pro…955

3 x adaptors at £29 each
misco.co.uk/app…p=0

I wouldn't want to spend anymore than this.

Any good for the money?

Cheers.

9 Comments

Do you need wireless N? A router and cards using wireless G would be much cheaper.

Original Poster

EndlessWaves;5060896

Do you need wireless N? A router and cards using wireless G would be much … Do you need wireless N? A router and cards using wireless G would be much cheaper.

I'm happy to spend the extra money for N, just wanted to check really that the items I have picked out are good value and whether there are better alternatives.

Cheers.

Original Poster

dcx_badass;5061063

If you went with Wireless G you could do it all for under £80 though.

Wasn't sure if G was suitable for multiusers?

have you actually tested any wireless kit in the target environment? lotta money to spend to find it won't work

ssabres;5061154

Wasn't sure if G was suitable for multiusers?

That depends on what those users are doing.

If all you want to do is share a standard Up to 8Mbps ADSL connection in an average sized house then wireless G is fine since the limiting factor is the internet connection. If you've got a particularly fast connection, particulaly large or metallic house or want to transfer stuff inside the network then it may be worth paying extra. (although homeplugs might be a better option if it's for media center use).

Original Poster

maddogb;5061180

have you actually tested any wireless kit in the target environment? … have you actually tested any wireless kit in the target environment? lotta money to spend to find it won't work

No, we haven't tested any wireless kit. That's another reason we've picked out the wireless N.

Original Poster

EndlessWaves;5061221

That depends on what those users are doing.

One son is an avid gamer.

ssabres;5061270

One son is an avid gamer.

I've never seen actual tests comparing the different wifi standards in terms other than bandwidth and range (consistency and latency are much more important than bandwidth in gaming), possibly because a lot of gamers are etherphobics and flee the room when you mention wireless anything.

I would imagine they're similar though, and if that's the case then the difference between the two is only going to matter if you're transfering data between computers on the network, otherwise the limitation is going to be your internet connection.

Of course, if your son is a very avid gamer he'll be relocating the router to the phone socket nearest his gaming machine and using a cable :).

dunno if its any good but looking for something else i came across some on fleabay
*********.co.uk/D-L…318
sod it, go to fleabay and look up item 350191571937
seriously though i would try a test even n wifi can be a bit of a pain in some locations..
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. ❅☁☁❅ I want☼to talk☼about the☔WEATHER☔no politics☃no religion❅☁☁❅18846094
    2. hOW SHOCKED WERE YOU AT THE GLASGOW FRUIT MARKET CONFLAGRATION??77
    3. Xbox One X - (News, updates, etc)3381
    4. Any PS4 News Here29213601

See more discussions