Is UK Costco membership worth it?

Found 7th May 2016
Is Costco membership worth it? Especially for single people?
Community Updates
Ask
20 Comments
yes, I have it and seeing as it's only £30 I've saved well over that and only had since November. the only thing I would say is that you'd need to buy everything monthly now instead of weekly as it's just you as I get quite alot of pack up stuff like drinks (12 bottles for around £6 works out 50p each)
It's worth it for me like above poster you find yourself doing more of a monthly shop due to sizes of things you buy. But best thing to do is get a membership and don't renew if it's not you
if you don't receive £30 in savings over the year you get the difference back in Costco vouchers.
no, most things are cheaper elsewhere
It's difficult to judge as everybody buys different things and they may not sell what you like! I think you can go in on a visitors pass and look about but you can't go through checkout until you've subscribed! Maybe worth looking about!
niconelove

Don't know when you last went but that's not the case, the reason Costco is so big is because of its buying power, yes some things are more expensive but if you compare the quality it's because the product is actually better.

Op sign up and you can cancel at any time only way of really knowing.
Gave mine up, not worth it, most stuff available elsewhere (with no fees) cheaper.
Edited by: "ChrisUK" 7th May 2016
Check with your work the wife has a card through work its £14 a year.
niconelove

This is true that products are cheaper else where. You cannot compete with some supermarket deals.

The good thing about Costco is the quality is high and the prices are reliable. So if you don't mind paying more for premium then go for it, but if you're looking at saving money in the long run - supermarket deals are where it's at.
I don't think it's worth it if you want to save money, but they do stock stuff that isn't available elsewhere & the quality is usually good, especially the meats.
PenguinsForAll

This is true that products are cheaper else where. You cannot compete … This is true that products are cheaper else where. You cannot compete with some supermarket deals.The good thing about Costco is the quality is high and the prices are reliable. So if you don't mind paying more for premium then go for it, but if you're looking at saving money in the long run - supermarket deals are where it's at.

Me and the missus recently joined. It's okay we spent £200 over 2 trips so far. Petrol was also cheaper by 5p a litre and I filled up. Eating in is cheap. Probably only be going once a month.
Sorry if I replied to a comment. This app is rubbish.
PenguinsForAll

This is true that products are cheaper else where. You cannot compete … This is true that products are cheaper else where. You cannot compete with some supermarket deals.The good thing about Costco is the quality is high and the prices are reliable. So if you don't mind paying more for premium then go for it, but if you're looking at saving money in the long run - supermarket deals are where it's at.

This. You won't see a difference in savings as a single person. If one consumes large amounts (of anything) or has a family then it may be worth it. They stock a lot of crap.
you get your £30 back with a few items like
pepsi 2lt 8 bottles for £5.29 plus vat . (£1.65) saving. against 8 for £8.00
bold (130 washes ) £7.99 plus vat . (£10 +) saving against (80 wash) for £17.
typhoo tea bags (1100) £8.29 no vat . (£4+)
saving against (80) for £1.
velvet loo rolls (7.99) plus vat. for 40 rolls.(£4+) saving against (36) for £14 .
birds eye cod fish fingers (£4.) for 30
(£1+) saving against (30) for £5.
philips shaver 9000 series top of the range (£99.95) plus vat. (£180.00) saving against Boots and Argos £299.99)
100s of food and non food items with huge savings. my neighbours save many hundreds of pounds every year . thanks
I'm surprised if hasn't been mentioned yet: their returns policy is second to none. Old products, opened or even consumed, they will ALWAYS take it back.

Occasionally you could find the odd product line marginally cheaper online, but it's not enough to warrant ditching them wholesale. Summed up, I've been a member for two decades and not found fault with them yet.
You can save at least £30 on their toilet roll offers, also their rotisserie chicken is bigger and better than any supermarket about.
We are a family of 3 and have been Costco members for years. In my opinion it probably won't be worth it for a single person. It just about covers it for all of us. As everyone has already said, most of the items can be found cheaper elsewhere in Supermarkets when deals are on, and in reasonable sizes. However the quality of almost all their food stuff is second to none, from fruit & veg, to bakery items and all their ready meals. The biggest savings are when you buy drinks in bulk, toilet rolls or kitchen towels, tyres and confectionaries.
Birthday cakes and carrot cakes make it worth it for me .........oh and the other items as mentioned above like the loo rolls and the pepsi 2ltr bottles we also buy the dry dog food
Last time I went I wasn't really impressed if you have the discount stores like B&M, Homebargains, etc nearby you get similar prices without membership. Same goes with supermarket special offers they can beat the likes of CostCo on price fairly often.
Easy to go wow thats cheap then you add the VAT and the price is just average.

The food in the cafe was cheap though.
Edited by: "joedastudd" 9th May 2016
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions