Is Universal Credit will stopp Child Tax Credit

Posted 21st Apr
As I applied first time for Universal Credit and came to know that Child Tax Credit (old system) has been cancelled and transferred to Universal Credit.
I am having another property and rent is coming from there. I have provided all the details (worth) of the property and rent.
Today, Universal Credit has cancelled because of having saving. Will it affect Child Tax Credit as well? As it's showing case closed when I logged on Universal Credit and can't access any more details.
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
Why would you think that you'd get Universal Credit when you have property, a rental income and loads of savings?
Norseg21/04/2020 19:35

But he/she isnt though, £16k isnt a lot, it might buy you a used … But he/she isnt though, £16k isnt a lot, it might buy you a used carActing like they have a networth of millions abd millions in savings

Deluded mate if you think 16k isn’t a lot
47 Comments
How much savings are we talking?
I would go onto your tax credits online as you should be able to re-instate it if it’s not going to be paid through universal credit now which I think will happen if they have closed your case!
Can you still login to view your tax credits?.
I think the property gets taken into account too as savings.
No you can’t go back to tax credits. You should have done a research first
Sadly if they cancel your tax credits then they won't reinstate them.
Why would you think that you'd get Universal Credit when you have property, a rental income and loads of savings?
Crustysock21/04/2020 18:23

Why would you think that you'd get Universal Credit when you have …Why would you think that you'd get Universal Credit when you have property, a rental income and loads of savings?

I am been silly, as the Government was pushing people to apply for Universal Credit if lost Job because of CoronaVirus.
Misslovely21/04/2020 17:40

No you can’t go back to tax credits. You should have done a research first

I managed to re-instate my tax credits online after a change in circumstances not that long ago!
Crustysock21/04/2020 18:23

Why would you think that you'd get Universal Credit when you have …Why would you think that you'd get Universal Credit when you have property, a rental income and loads of savings?

Maybe she doesn't get child support?
Norseg21/04/2020 18:54

Maybe she doesn't get child support?

And what difference would that make?
Crustysock21/04/2020 18:55

Because a single parent needs support so they cant live off one source
I have a lot of savings not because im rich,im.minimum wage i just save and manage money well, basically i just dont waste it to expensive phone's should i be punished if i prefer to have a just incase or money saved to make a bigger purchase
Basically someone could have barely anything and have tons of savings
Someone could have tons of things but be broke, but theyre both on the same income, the UK saving limit is really low anyway
Edited by: "Norseg" 21st Apr
Norseg21/04/2020 19:16

Because a single parent needs support so they cant live off one sourceI … Because a single parent needs support so they cant live off one sourceI have a lot of savings not because im rich,im.minimum wage i just save and manage money well, basically i just dont waste it to expensive phone's should i be punished if i prefer to have a just incase or money saved to make a bigger purchaseBasically someone could have barely anything and have tons of savingsSomeone could have tons of things but be broke, but theyre both on the same income, the UK saving limit is really low anyway

So under your rules, a multi millionaire who isn't working, and isn't getting child support (which will be recovered from the other party in the end), should get Universal Credit?

Behave
Crustysock21/04/2020 18:55

I've used saved money to start Share dealing, but it didn't go well. I've taken a big loan & used Credit-Card to buy more shares to decrease the loss or if lucky make some profit. But market isn't stable since many years. I am in big debt now but still optimistic that I will have my time.
Edited by: "KB90" 21st Apr
KB9021/04/2020 19:32

I've used saved money to start Share dealing, but it didn't go well. I've …I've used saved money to start Share dealing, but it didn't go well. I've taken a big loan & used Credit-Card to buy more shares to decrease the loss or if lucky make some profit. But market isn't stable since many years. I am in big debt now but still optimistic that I will have my time.

Unfortunately, that's the risk you took.

If share dealing was easy, everyone would be rich.
KB9021/04/2020 19:32

I've used saved money to start Share dealing, but it didn't go well. I've …I've used saved money to start Share dealing, but it didn't go well. I've taken a big loan & used Credit-Card to buy more shares to decrease the loss or if lucky make some profit. But market isn't stable since many years. I am in big debt now but still optimistic that I will have my time.

Is that a joke?!
Crustysock21/04/2020 19:33

Unfortunately, that's the risk you took.If share dealing was easy, …Unfortunately, that's the risk you took.If share dealing was easy, everyone would be rich.

Yes, I have taken a big risk. Hope bad time will go soon.
Crustysock21/04/2020 19:23

So under your rules, a multi millionaire who isn't working, and isn't …So under your rules, a multi millionaire who isn't working, and isn't getting child support (which will be recovered from the other party in the end), should get Universal Credit?Behave

But he/she isnt though, £16k isnt a lot, it might buy you a used car

Acting like they have a networth of millions abd millions in savings
Edited by: "Norseg" 21st Apr
Norseg21/04/2020 19:34

Is that a joke?!

Sorry but It's called non-calculated risk. Some time in out life time we have to take it.
If you have a household income of £38000 or more you don’t get family tax credits. So if one of you are working and you have rental income you might not get anything...

But he/she isnt though, £16k isnt a lot, it might buy you a used … But he/she isnt though, £16k isnt a lot, it might buy you a used carActing like they have a networth of millions abd millions in savings

OP stated more than £16K.
Could be £17K, could be £250K.

I mean, where do you draw the line?
Surely this is a trolling thread.
They will not reinstate child tax credit once you have/ enter universal credit.
I wish I didn’t make the mistake of applying for UC before
Me fail English? That's unpossible.

But he/she isnt though, £16k isnt a lot, it might buy you a used carActing …But he/she isnt though, £16k isnt a lot, it might buy you a used carActing like they have a networth of millions abd millions in savings

The welfare system is supposed to be a safety net, if you have over £16k then you don't need the tax payer to fund you as you have your own money. Once your savings are below £16k then you can get help. I bet the majority of working people in the UK don't have £16k in the bank.

Azwipe22/04/2020 01:11

The welfare system is supposed to be a safety net, if you have over £16k …The welfare system is supposed to be a safety net, if you have over £16k then you don't need the tax payer to fund you as you have your own money. Once your savings are below £16k then you can get help. I bet the majority of working people in the UK don't have £16k in the bank.

Although I see both sides, I tend to agree more with you, it’s suppose to be a support system and sure you don’t know everyone’s financial situation but most would see over 16k (could meaning 20k, 30k etc) in savings as suitable enough not to qualify.. but also don’t forget she owns another property that she rents if I’m not mistaken. So that’s savings plus passive income from rental property. Each to their own, I guess.

Also could be a different situation, maybe it’s just for child tax and maybe it isn’t, who knows, best not to assume, just to be safe
KhianDeGilbert22/04/2020 01:41

This. The system is meant to help those who need it. If you have an extra property you could sell you have access to money. You have £16K+ savings, you do not need help to pay to live. No wonder people who don’t claim anything get so peed off with others taking the mick. How many people are there working low income jobs who refuse to get help, or are very slightly over the income amount to get assistance, let alone have another property and thousands of pounds of savings!!!
Edited by: "choccie32" 22nd Apr
Can you get universal credit, if 25 single and income of £2.5K monthly??
junioruzzy22/04/2020 03:06

Can you get universal credit, if 25 single and income of £2.5K monthly??

Yep,you get to choose the amount as well that you want.
Sc4mp022/04/2020 07:38

Looooool
shef007221/04/2020 19:58

They will not reinstate child tax credit once you have/ enter universal …They will not reinstate child tax credit once you have/ enter universal credit.I wish I didn’t make the mistake of applying for UC before

There are (very) limited circumstances they can reinstate and I think the OP may fall under one, but don't have time to look for the case law at the moment, however @KB90 how were you getting CTC with savings over 16k? Sounds like a fraudulent claim to me, so I would leave it alone and pray HMRC don't pick up on your UC application too closely or you might be looking at a large overpayment, or even court/jailtime depending on the amount.
choccie3222/04/2020 02:35

This. The system is meant to help those who need it. If you have an extra …This. The system is meant to help those who need it. If you have an extra property you could sell you have access to money. You have £16K+ savings, you do not need help to pay to live. No wonder people who don’t claim anything get so peed off with others taking the mick. How many people are there working low income jobs who refuse to get help, or are very slightly over the income amount to get assistance, let alone have another property and thousands of pounds of savings!!!

How is it taking the mick if you are due it? I am an accidental landlord but the profit I make it on that is minimal. A lot of people who don't have the discipline to save will claim so why shouldn't I? It's not my fault if they've wasted it on flashy cars, meals out regularly, clothes etc.
julieallen22/04/2020 10:26

There are (very) limited circumstances they can reinstate and I think the …There are (very) limited circumstances they can reinstate and I think the OP may fall under one, but don't have time to look for the case law at the moment, however @KB90 how were you getting CTC with savings over 16k? Sounds like a fraudulent claim to me, so I would leave it alone and pray HMRC don't pick up on your UC application too closely or you might be looking at a large overpayment, or even court/jailtime depending on the amount.

I thought tax credits were not means tested but universal credit was?
How savings affect Tax Credits

If you are getting Working or Child Tax Credits, only taxable income is taken into account, so you might be able to claim tax credits, regardless of the amount of money you have in savings.

However, the interest you earn from savings is classed as income. Any income from savings over £300 will be taken into account and will affect how much you get.
Definitely a trolling thread. Too many mentalities like this unfortunately ruin it for those who need it most. Uprate benefits for those most deserving, disabled people, carers, and decimate these top ups.

I'll never claim anything unless i'm desperate - no top ups, no few pounds per week/month.
Annabelle240622/04/2020 10:55

I thought tax credits were not means tested but universal credit was?

Yeah, tax credits are means tested.
Sc4mp022/04/2020 07:38

Haha
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions