Unfortunately, this discussion is no longer valid
Expired

Is very that bad?

Posted 22nd Nov
There is a deal on at very which I am interested in but I have never shopped at very before. On reading reviews on the internet, they seem really really bad, even worse than eglobal central!

Anyone shopped with them and can comment on your experience with them?

Also they seem to refer to credit, what does that mean? Are they different to other retailers? Can you pay them immediately?
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
eslick22/11/2019 22:29

@deeky will be able to give you an idea about how bad they are, think it’s …@deeky will be able to give you an idea about how bad they are, think it’s one of his two pet annoyances.

Correct. I can't think of another one though
mutley122/11/2019 22:16

There are 13,000 reviews on Trustpilot. Do you think they all left those reviews because they were bored?
ScubaDudes23/11/2019 00:01

Comment deleted

In fairness, the 2 people here who didn't rip them apart are real people. The 13k reviews on Trustpilot could all be fake.
summerof7623/11/2019 00:09

13,000 reviews will take some reading, have you ever read War and Peace …13,000 reviews will take some reading, have you ever read War and Peace

Any normal person would only have to read the first 3 or 4 to be convinced.
49 Comments
They were absolutely dreadful when I ordered an Apple Watch, customer service was appalling, took months to sort out and they couldn’t care less, never rang back or responded when they said they would. Would never use them again even if they were massively cheaper
You usually have to open a credit account to get the credited cashback, but there is nothing to stop you paying it off all at once when it is accepted.
Some people have trouble with customer service, but I never have (a bit like all companies, people like to complain but seldom post complimentary comments).
Ringfinger22/11/2019 21:39

You usually have to open a credit account to get the credited cashback, …You usually have to open a credit account to get the credited cashback, but there is nothing to stop you paying it off all at once when it is accepted. Some people have trouble with customer service, but I never have (a bit like all companies, people like to complain but seldom post complimentary comments).

so they carry out a credit check when you open an account with them? they have an offer of £50 off spend over £100. so i have to open a credit account, buy the item then wait for the bill after i have received the item? at which point, the £50 will be credited to my account? sounds a bit long winded if i have understood you correctly!
mutley122/11/2019 21:43

so they carry out a credit check when you open an account with them? they …so they carry out a credit check when you open an account with them? they have an offer of £50 off spend over £100. so i have to open a credit account, buy the item then wait for the bill after i have received the item? at which point, the £50 will be credited to my account? sounds a bit long winded if i have understood you correctly!

That's basically it.
You apply for credit account.
You get accepted .
Receive the goods and account shows £100 debt (assuming £100 item).
Get credited £50, Account now shows £50 (plus £50 available credit to spend).
Pay off the balance in full, no charges or interest (account shows £100 available credit).
Takes about a week. They basically pay you to open a credit account.
Ringfinger22/11/2019 21:54

That's basically it. You apply for credit account.You get accepted …That's basically it. You apply for credit account.You get accepted .Receive the goods and account shows £100 debt (assuming £100 item). Get credited £50, Account now shows £50 (plus £50 available credit to spend). Pay off the balance in full, no charges or interest (account shows £100 available credit).Takes about a week. They basically pay you to open a credit account.

so do they give people 0% finance on purchases or do you pay interest on instalments just like a credit card
You pay interest at around 40%, but if you pay it off in full you don't pay interest. That's when you buy something - though they are 10%-20% cheaper than theirs sister company, Littlewoods.
mutley122/11/2019 21:59

so do they give people 0% finance on purchases or do you pay interest on …so do they give people 0% finance on purchases or do you pay interest on instalments just like a credit card

They have option for 6 or 12 months buy now pay later on expensive items which if cleared before the bnpl period is over will be interest free.
If its a low value item wait for your £50 credit to reduce the balance then clear it off and again it will be 0% interest
Mark_Hickman22/11/2019 22:13

They have option for 6 or 12 months buy now pay later on expensive items …They have option for 6 or 12 months buy now pay later on expensive items which if cleared before the bnpl period is over will be interest free.If its a low value item wait for your £50 credit to reduce the balance then clear it off and again it will be 0% interest

bnpl = buy now pay later ?
@deeky will be able to give you an idea about how bad they are, think it’s one of his two pet annoyances.
eslick22/11/2019 22:29

@deeky will be able to give you an idea about how bad they are, think it’s …@deeky will be able to give you an idea about how bad they are, think it’s one of his two pet annoyances.

bnpl = buy now pay later ?

Yes, ive never had an issue with them and ive ordered many items.
When the offers are on you cazn get some great deals

There are 13,000 reviews on Trustpilot. Do you think they all left those reviews because they were bored?
i made an order and it seem to deduct the £50 from the order value when i said i wanted to pay now with a credit card. however when i looked at the transaction history it seems to have the price without the £50 discount. i tried to cancel the order but it says i can't do this and have to refuse delivery when it gets delivered?

Comment deleted

some people were saying that they have not had bad experience with very so i thought it may be worth taking the punt as the discount is quite big but i think i have messed it up as i was supposed to pay through bnpl but i paid with a credit card. the damn site now won't let me cancel the order even though their help page states that i should be able to cancel an order.

i want to cancel the order and re-order through the credit account.

Comment deleted

In fairness, the 2 people here who didn't rip them apart are real people. The 13k reviews on Trustpilot could all be fake.
if i refuse delivery at the door, then will they still charge me the £3.99 delivery cost?
deeky22/11/2019 23:30

There are 13,000 reviews on Trustpilot. Do you think they all left those …There are 13,000 reviews on Trustpilot. Do you think they all left those reviews because they were bored?

13,000 reviews will take some reading, have you ever read War and Peace
summerof7623/11/2019 00:09

13,000 reviews will take some reading, have you ever read War and Peace …13,000 reviews will take some reading, have you ever read War and Peace

Any normal person would only have to read the first 3 or 4 to be convinced.
Just make sure you clear it off quick, as soon as it rolls over the 6/12 months free period you will be hit for 6/12 months at 40%, so basically an additional 20/40% of purchase price.
Maggy123423/11/2019 00:10

Just make sure you clear it off quick, as soon as it rolls over the 6/12 …Just make sure you clear it off quick, as soon as it rolls over the 6/12 months free period you will be hit for 6/12 months at 40%, so basically an additional 20/40% of purchase price.

it has a 6 months bnpl option but i didn't select that and selected pay now with credit card instead. it applied the £50 off voucher to the cost but when i looked at my transaction history it doesn't show the £50 discount on there. i will have to contact customer service tomorrow and ask if they will deduct the £50 from the actual credit card debit to my account. they may credit the £50 voucher to my credit account, which would mean I would have to spend that on the next purchase.
mutley123/11/2019 00:05

if i refuse delivery at the door, then will they still charge me the £3.99 …if i refuse delivery at the door, then will they still charge me the £3.99 delivery cost?

I usually refuse the delivery at the time the order is not delivered. That's the best sure fire way of not having to pay the delivery fee that won't be charged because the goods weren't physically delivered. If you're lucky like I have been, Very may actually refund the delivery cost that isn't charged, and if you call to complain that you've been charged a return fee you can confuse the phone jockey into interpreting the refunded non-delivery charge as a return fee so it is refunded a second time and your account is in credit by the equivalent cost of two delivery fees. Winning.
I've used them for years and never had a problem! If you take out a credit plan just make sure you pay it off before the interest kicks in.
mutley123/11/2019 00:17

it has a 6 months bnpl option but i didn't select that and selected pay …it has a 6 months bnpl option but i didn't select that and selected pay now with credit card instead. it applied the £50 off voucher to the cost but when i looked at my transaction history it doesn't show the £50 discount on there. i will have to contact customer service tomorrow and ask if they will deduct the £50 from the actual credit card debit to my account. they may credit the £50 voucher to my credit account, which would mean I would have to spend that on the next purchase.

hotukdeals.com/dea…220

If you read through this Very thread you will see they take the full amount and give you the credit back absolutely no need to cancel or refuse the order. If you put it on the credit account they charge the full amount to the account and then add the £50 credit.

If you paid by card they charge the full amount and then refund the £50.

I’ve used them for a number of years without any issues.

I used a promotion code and paid off my balance in full, then every so often they would send my another voucher,

I managed to do this for a number of years until the vouchers stopped.

Then I stopped buying. Very told me they would cancel my account if I didn’t spend on the account so I let my account close.

Very have saved me a lot over the years. Handy using the voucher at X mas time on the latest toys that don’t get reduced they were effectively half price using codes like the one you mention.
Edited by: "myusernamehasgone234" 23rd Nov
deeky22/11/2019 22:35

Your name sprung to mind as soon as I saw this
mutley122/11/2019 21:59

so do they give people 0% finance on purchases or do you pay interest on …so do they give people 0% finance on purchases or do you pay interest on instalments just like a credit card

You can pay interest free over 3 month on take 3 it’s called or if it’s over a certain amount you get 6 or 12 month interest free... never had a problem with them. They have some cracking deals and interest free, you just got to keep an eye out for them. I wouldn’t use very unless it’s a sale or money back....
They are OK until something go wrong. We once purchased a washing machine that practically exploded within 6 months of purchase, they refused to sort out the problem despite being legally obliged to.
Myself & my partner use Very frequently.. they do great deals.. their terms are straight forward.. I rang their cs recently for a return, that went smoothly.. they credit the return even before they have it (temp credit before official credit upon satisfactory receipt of item) .. they’ve improved their cash/ credit back system by which I mean you now get email confirmation of cash/ credit back amount & date you can expect it .. last year I bought XS, this year I’ve bought 12.9 iPad, both with substantial cash/ credit back offers .. pay within the interest free period & all is good
Edited by: "JumpMan1980" 23rd Nov
mutley122/11/2019 23:51

i made an order and it seem to deduct the £50 from the order value when i …i made an order and it seem to deduct the £50 from the order value when i said i wanted to pay now with a credit card. however when i looked at the transaction history it seems to have the price without the £50 discount. i tried to cancel the order but it says i can't do this and have to refuse delivery when it gets delivered?

And this is why theres 13000 bad reviews because half of them cannot follow simple instructions, you have to add it to your very credit account and they deduct £50 from what you owe and then you pay it off. You were told this multiple times above in the first few comments, and people blame very if you cancel it or refuse it, and try to do it again, it probably wont be classed as your first purchase and you wont get £50 back if it was a new customer offer you used.
Edited by: "Mark_Hickman" 23rd Nov
mutley123/11/2019 00:03

some people were saying that they have not had bad experience with very so …some people were saying that they have not had bad experience with very so i thought it may be worth taking the punt as the discount is quite big but i think i have messed it up as i was supposed to pay through bnpl but i paid with a credit card. the damn site now won't let me cancel the order even though their help page states that i should be able to cancel an order.i want to cancel the order and re-order through the credit account.

They are worth a punt but youve got to follow the terms of the discount and then fingers crossed. Hope you get it sorted
Edited by: "ScubaDudes" 23rd Nov
myusernamehasgone23423/11/2019 03:22

Very told me they would cancel my account if I didn’t spend on the account …Very told me they would cancel my account if I didn’t spend on the account so I let my account close.

Doesn't that tell you everything you need to know about the kind of setup they are?
deeky23/11/2019 09:12

Doesn't that tell you everything you need to know about the kind of setup …Doesn't that tell you everything you need to know about the kind of setup they are?

I had only ever used those huge discounts and got stuff insanely cheap so I could understand why they know longer wanted my custom.

But I full understand what you are saying the only want to rip people off with those ridiculous apr’s.
myusernamehasgone23423/11/2019 09:17

I had only ever used those huge discounts and got stuff insanely cheap so …I had only ever used those huge discounts and got stuff insanely cheap so I could understand why they know longer wanted my custom. But I full understand what you are saying the only want to rip people off with those ridiculous apr’s.

It's not that they don't want your custom because you only used the discounts, the fact is that they are trying to pressure you into buying stuff, whether you want to or not. Not 'tempt' you but pressure you. I've got dozens of accounts open at websites where I've only ever bought one thing, but I don't recall ever getting any emails threatening to close my account if I didn't buy something. Most decent companies are just happy that you have an account and are happy to wait until you buy something else.

Just to reiterate, it's great that some people here have never had any issues with Very, and I do appreciate that many, many people are happy with their purchases from them and are happy to continue to use them. I just sincerely hope that those people continue with their good fortune and never get on the wrong side of Very's absolutely appalling customer service, because when it goes wrong, it can go spectacularly wrong. Just look at @joeydeacon above - a 6 month old washing machine goes bang and Very refuse to sort it out? I'd love joey to say how many hours he spent on the phone and on live chat and explain how stressful and frustrating it was trying to deal with them.
Edited by: "deeky" 23rd Nov
deeky23/11/2019 09:35

It's not that they don't want your custom because you only used the …It's not that they don't want your custom because you only used the discounts, the fact is that they are trying to pressure you into buying stuff, whether you want to or not. Not 'tempt' you but pressure you. I've got dozens of accounts open at websites where I've only ever bought one thing, but I don't recall ever getting any emails threatening to close my account if I didn't buy something. Most decent companies are just happy that you have an account and are happy to wait until you buy something else. Just to reiterate, it's great that some people here have never had any issues with Very, and I do appreciate that many, many people are happy with their purchases from them and are happy to continue to use them. I just sincerely hope that those people continue with their good fortune and never get on the wrong side of Very's absolutely appalling customer service, because when it goes wrong, it can go spectacularly wrong. Just look at joeydeacon above - a 6 month old washing machine goes bang and Very refuse to sort it out? I'd love joey to say how many hours he spent on the phone and on live chat and explain how stressful and frustrating it was trying to deal with them.

I feel exactly the same about nowtv, don’t expect anything but a massive hassle if things go wrong, worst CS ever...

trustpilot.com/rev…com

can’t stress enough how bad they are
maccy1i23/11/2019 09:42

I feel exactly the same about nowtv, don’t expect anything but a massive h …I feel exactly the same about nowtv, don’t expect anything but a massive hassle if things go wrong, worst CS ever...https://www.trustpilot.com/review/nowtv.comcan’t stress enough how bad they are

'2nd' worst CS ever

Strangely enough I had dealings with NowTV a couple of weeks ago and they were great. I bought a box with 2 months entertainment a couple of years back. I only just opened it and when I tried to enter the voucher number it said it was expired. I went on Live Chat and they just asked where and when I bought it. I told them and they immediately gave me a new code which I applied to my account while they waited on chat.

Don't call NowTV to me, I won't hear it
deeky23/11/2019 09:35

It's not that they don't want your custom because you only used the …It's not that they don't want your custom because you only used the discounts, the fact is that they are trying to pressure you into buying stuff, whether you want to or not. Not 'tempt' you but pressure you. I've got dozens of accounts open at websites where I've only ever bought one thing, but I don't recall ever getting any emails threatening to close my account if I didn't buy something. Most decent companies are just happy that you have an account and are happy to wait until you buy something else. Just to reiterate, it's great that some people here have never had any issues with Very, and I do appreciate that many, many people are happy with their purchases from them and are happy to continue to use them. I just sincerely hope that those people continue with their good fortune and never get on the wrong side of Very's absolutely appalling customer service, because when it goes wrong, it can go spectacularly wrong. Just look at @joeydeacon above - a 6 month old washing machine goes bang and Very refuse to sort it out? I'd love joey to say how many hours he spent on the phone and on live chat and explain how stressful and frustrating it was trying to deal with them.

Eventually it got sorted out, after weeks of trying. It shouldn't have to be that difficult. You've just reminded me, I've also had the warnings / threats that my account will be closed over non-use. People say 'oh well it's to protect your account in case your dormant account is taken over by a fraudster'. Is it *****.
Mark_Hickman23/11/2019 08:03

And this is why theres 13000 bad reviews because half of them cannot …And this is why theres 13000 bad reviews because half of them cannot follow simple instructions, you have to add it to your very credit account and they deduct £50 from what you owe and then you pay it off. You were told this multiple times above in the first few comments, and people blame very if you cancel it or refuse it, and try to do it again, it probably wont be classed as your first purchase and you wont get £50 back if it was a new customer offer you used.

i don't think the 13000 bad reviews were about discounts not applied but i did balls it up as although i had meant to pay with the credit account as i have been advised, i found that the voucher applied even if i chose to pay with a credit card and so i was happy to proceed with the discount applied with the chosen method of payment.

but when i looked at my account after purchase, there was no mention of the discount and i had no proof of the discount either as i didn't even take a screenshot of the discount applied, doh!

the website experienced technical difficulties shortly after that, but that was about 1.30 am, so i went to bed. when i got up this morning, i got an email confirmation of the order, which stated the £50 discount so it's sorted, woo hoo the gamble seems to have paid off so far, now just wait for it to turn up.

their website is not great as it won't allow you to cancel an order and it didn't allow me to do click and collect at the payment stage even though the item has click and collect so i had to pay the postage. other people have been able to do click and collect but my order status states that it is coming directly from the supplier so very must have ran out of stock.

it was a huge bargain as the £50 discount is a huge discount on the purchase and would be happy to use them again if the tablet turns up.
mutley123/11/2019 10:51

i don't think the 13000 bad reviews were about discounts not applied but i …i don't think the 13000 bad reviews were about discounts not applied but i did balls it up as although i had meant to pay with the credit account as i have been advised, i found that the voucher applied even if i chose to pay with a credit card and so i was happy to proceed with the discount applied with the chosen method of payment.but when i looked at my account after purchase, there was no mention of the discount and i had no proof of the discount either as i didn't even take a screenshot of the discount applied, doh!the website experienced technical difficulties shortly after that, but that was about 1.30 am, so i went to bed. when i got up this morning, i got an email confirmation of the order, which stated the £50 discount so it's sorted, woo hoo the gamble seems to have paid off so far, now just wait for it to turn up.their website is not great as it won't allow you to cancel an order and it didn't allow me to do click and collect at the payment stage even though the item has click and collect so i had to pay the postage. other people have been able to do click and collect but my order status states that it is coming directly from the supplier so very must have ran out of stock.it was a huge bargain as the £50 discount is a huge discount on the purchase and would be happy to use them again if the tablet turns up.

That's great news. Glad you got sorted. You keep on using them
so 4 days on and the tablet still has not been dispatched but it did say expected delivery on 02.12.2019 so that is justifiable. however that only confirms further that it was lie when they said that the item had already been dispatched a few minutes after i had ordered and tried to cancel the order when i realised they had taken more money from my credit card than what i saw on the screen during the payout process.

i called customer service and it was an effort to explain to them that they have taken more money from my credit card than the invoice, which should be a simple explanation but not to these guys. they could see the invoice amount being less than the credit card charge but thought it was still correct!

it took 15 minutes to make the operator understand that they have taken more money from my credit card than the invoice, when that should take no more than 2 minutes! the guy says that i need to wait for my statement to be produced before they can refund me the £50 but i told him that it is bad practice for a retailer to take more money than they have billed and i want the £50 to be credited back to my card.

he said that it will take up to 5 working days for the refund to show up in my card so i will wait and see. i no longer trust this retailer and will not be using them again in the future even if their cashback was £100 as the chance of getting that is low and the hassle of chasing them for it is not worth while.
mutley126/11/2019 11:33

so 4 days on and the tablet still has not been dispatched but it did say …so 4 days on and the tablet still has not been dispatched but it did say expected delivery on 02.12.2019 so that is justifiable. however that only confirms further that it was lie when they said that the item had already been dispatched a few minutes after i had ordered and tried to cancel the order when i realised they had taken more money from my credit card than what i saw on the screen during the payout process.i called customer service and it was an effort to explain to them that they have taken more money from my credit card than the invoice, which should be a simple explanation but not to these guys. they could see the invoice amount being less than the credit card charge but thought it was still correct!it took 15 minutes to make the operator understand that they have taken more money from my credit card than the invoice, when that should take no more than 2 minutes! the guy says that i need to wait for my statement to be produced before they can refund me the £50 but i told him that it is bad practice for a retailer to take more money than they have billed and i want the £50 to be credited back to my card.he said that it will take up to 5 working days for the refund to show up in my card so i will wait and see. i no longer trust this retailer and will not be using them again in the future even if their cashback was £100 as the chance of getting that is low and the hassle of chasing them for it is not worth while.

Yep they blatantly lied to me with a similar situation with an apple watch, confirming it would come the next day, 2 weeks later it turned up after they lied continuously it was on its way
iang00726/11/2019 11:36

Yep they blatantly lied to me with a similar situation with an apple …Yep they blatantly lied to me with a similar situation with an apple watch, confirming it would come the next day, 2 weeks later it turned up after they lied continuously it was on its way

at least they didn't take more money from you than the invoice, you should count yourself lucky. they claim an item is already dispatched 2 minutes after my order, which was made after midnight on a friday evening. it takes longer than that to package and address the item and i can't be the only person making an order at that particular time.

they sell items they don't have in stock so it takes more than a week for the item to come and so it would not surprise me if the tablet doesn't turn up at all this year. they are inundated with complaints at the moment as they have already anticipated that there will be problems with the credit account discounts and told me to call them and report problems if this happens and not to get stressed out about it
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants