Is virgin media 50 mb broadband and LR £23.66 a month a fair price?

27 replies
Found 14th Oct 2016
Hi, I have trying to negotiate renewal of my virgin broadband and line rental package. So for talk weekends and 50 mb fibre for £23.66 a month, anyone think it's a fair price.
Thanks in advance for any replies

27 Comments

I get 70mbps + line rental for £21.99 with VM if it's any help

seems a fair price, yes

i get 100mb for £23 per month along with weekend calls. did have to cancel though and then received 4 calls with deals.

Original Poster

Eden0032

I get 70mbps + line rental for £21.99 with VM if it's any help

Yes, thanks for your reply, very helpful. Mine is supposed to be going up to 70 mb by Christmas. I have paid my line rental upfront (£184) but have 14 days to cancel. Just wondering if I can get any better. I tried and tried today but was told he has splinters from scraping the barrel so hard.
Thing is virgin are the only ones who do fibre in my area.
Do you know what sort of discounts they apply to your package

Virgin offered to match what SSE were giving me (BB, LR plus unlimited calls 24/7 inc. International). That was £21pm

Original Poster

u664541

Virgin offered to match what SSE were giving me (BB, LR plus unlimited … Virgin offered to match what SSE were giving me (BB, LR plus unlimited calls 24/7 inc. International). That was £21pm

We can't get anything from sse in my area. Thanks tho

Yes!I pay £27.99 a month for 50mb and LN

Original Poster

dealer221

i get 100mb for £23 per month along with weekend calls. did have to … i get 100mb for £23 per month along with weekend calls. did have to cancel though and then received 4 calls with deals.

Thanks for taking the time to reply, it's really helping. I'm tempted to try and cancel but apparently the guy I spoke to was in retentions and "we've done all we can" but I'm not convinced

Seems OK,

Though I pay £28.00 a month including line rental for 200MB package.

In the same situation at the minute will be calling them over the weekend

You're paying £23 a month and also the £180 for line rental?

They are trained to say that's all they can offer, as you can see in this thread people can get better deals. Stick to your guns and don't tell them they are the only service you can receive in your area. As a last resort you can just say it's gonna cost too much and go ahead and refund the line rental etc. Maybe make a mention that this time of year is very expensive and you're gonna have to cut back on bills and the internet is the first to go!

Original Poster

PenguinsForAll

You're paying £23 a month and also the £180 for line rental?They are t … You're paying £23 a month and also the £180 for line rental?They are trained to say that's all they can offer, as you can see in this thread people can get better deals. Stick to your guns and don't tell them they are the only service you can receive in your area. As a last resort you can just say it's gonna cost too much and go ahead and refund the line rental etc. Maybe make a mention that this time of year is very expensive and you're gonna have to cut back on bills and the internet is the first to go!

No, I've paid the £184 line rental then basically I've got 2 months free then £10 a month for 10 months. It's a 12 month contract so I worked it out as £100 broadband + £184 then divide it by 12 months to give me £23.66 a month

markandbridget

Thanks for taking the time to reply, it's really helping. I'm tempted to … Thanks for taking the time to reply, it's really helping. I'm tempted to try and cancel but apparently the guy I spoke to was in retentions and "we've done all we can" but I'm not convinced

When you cancel there will be a 30 days notice. After your services disconnect they will call you. Remember you can also re join as a new customer even with the same bank card. The current deal you can get as a new customer is a new super hub 3 delivered in 2 days along with 100mb broadband and weekend calls as well as a £50 welcome credit at £18 a month for 12 months and £32 a month for final 6 months. Alot better as it is twice the speed.

Original Poster

dealer221

When you cancel there will be a 30 days notice. After your services … When you cancel there will be a 30 days notice. After your services disconnect they will call you. Remember you can also re join as a new customer even with the same bank card. The current deal you can get as a new customer is a new super hub 3 delivered in 2 days along with 100mb broadband and weekend calls as well as a £50 welcome credit at £18 a month for 12 months and £32 a month for final 6 months. Alot better as it is twice the speed.

Thanks for your reply. So I take it that's an 18 month contract and includes LR. Works out at £19.88 a month, that's a fab deal. Where did you see it?

markandbridget

When you cancel there will be a 30 days notice. After your services … When you cancel there will be a 30 days notice. After your services disconnect they will call you. Remember you can also re join as a new customer even with the same bank card. The current deal you can get as a new customer is a new super hub 3 delivered in 2 days along with 100mb broadband and weekend calls as well as a £50 welcome credit at £18 a month for 12 months and £32 a month for final 6 months. Alot better as it is twice the speed.

Thanks for your reply. So I take it that's an 18 month contract and includes LR. Works out at £19.88 a month, that's a fab deal. Where did you see it?[/of]
Its a deal that is offered by the virgin media sales team. It was offered to both of my friends. After they has said that sse was offering £21 per month for 76mb along with anytime calls

markandbridget

Thanks for your reply. So I take it that's an 18 month contract and … Thanks for your reply. So I take it that's an 18 month contract and includes LR. Works out at £19.88 a month, that's a fab deal. Where did you see it?

Its the virgin media sales team you can get transferred to them. Explain that sse offers 76mb broadband with anytime calls for £21 per month. They will beat the deal as they will onky give weekend calls. Do not settle for more than £21 per month they need you

Original Poster

dealer221

Its the virgin media sales team you can get transferred to them. Explain … Its the virgin media sales team you can get transferred to them. Explain that sse offers 76mb broadband with anytime calls for £21 per month. They will beat the deal as they will onky give weekend calls. Do not settle for more than £21 per month they need you

Thanks but im not sure if it would work for me. We can't get sse in our area and when I checked we can't even get fibre from anyone else but virgin. They knew when I phoned up we can only get standard and up to 4.5 mb (it's more like 2) and as he said "you're quite far away from the exchange". They have me over a barrel really

markandbridget

Thanks but im not sure if it would work for me. We can't get sse in our … Thanks but im not sure if it would work for me. We can't get sse in our area and when I checked we can't even get fibre from anyone else but virgin. They knew when I phoned up we can only get standard and up to 4.5 mb (it's more like 2) and as he said "you're quite far away from the exchange". They have me over a barrel really

What is your post code?

Original Poster

dealer221

What is your post code?

Hi, I'd rather not put that on here but I know I can't get sse at all, nothing when I checked on their website. I can get standard broadband from bt, talk talk, vodaphone, plusnet. I inputted my post code on all the websites and no fibre was available. I live in the midlands. The virgin guy knew this. I tried to barter with "sky are offering sky q 1tb, box sets, talk unlimited and broadband for £26.31 a month and basically he said it won't work properly on 4.5 meg ( probably more like 2.5 I'd get on standard tho) said it would work better on their broadband. I'm not sure what I've got to barter with. It's a bit naff that I live in a town of over 70,000 people and can only get virgin fibre

markandbridget

Hi, I'd rather not put that on here but I know I can't get sse at all, … Hi, I'd rather not put that on here but I know I can't get sse at all, nothing when I checked on their website. I can get standard broadband from bt, talk talk, vodaphone, plusnet. I inputted my post code on all the websites and no fibre was available. I live in the midlands. The virgin guy knew this. I tried to barter with "sky are offering sky q 1tb, box sets, talk unlimited and broadband for £26.31 a month and basically he said it won't work properly on 4.5 meg ( probably more like 2.5 I'd get on standard tho) said it would work better on their broadband. I'm not sure what I've got to barter with. It's a bit naff that I live in a town of over 70,000 people and can only get virgin fibre

Im sure BT are using Virgin fibre now so see bt deals.

markandbridget

Hi, I'd rather not put that on here but I know I can't get sse at all, … Hi, I'd rather not put that on here but I know I can't get sse at all, nothing when I checked on their website. I can get standard broadband from bt, talk talk, vodaphone, plusnet. I inputted my post code on all the websites and no fibre was available. I live in the midlands. The virgin guy knew this. I tried to barter with "sky are offering sky q 1tb, box sets, talk unlimited and broadband for £26.31 a month and basically he said it won't work properly on 4.5 meg ( probably more like 2.5 I'd get on standard tho) said it would work better on their broadband. I'm not sure what I've got to barter with. It's a bit naff that I live in a town of over 70,000 people and can only get virgin fibre

call again and advise them that you have been offered a deal from talktalk for standard broadband, anytime calls, international calls, a you view box and a free sim with 200 mins and 500mb data for £17.70 per month including line
rental. state that you are fine with the 50mb speeds 'if you are satisfied with the speed' however want the monthly price cheaper as talktalk offers soo many extras.

Original Poster

dealer221

call again and advise them that you have been offered a deal from … call again and advise them that you have been offered a deal from talktalk for standard broadband, anytime calls, international calls, a you view box and a free sim with 200 mins and 500mb data for £17.70 per month including line rental. state that you are fine with the 50mb speeds 'if you are satisfied with the speed' however want the monthly price cheaper as talktalk offers soo many extras.

Many thanks for your help. I have been thinking it over for the last week. Phoned again this morning and managed to get the bill credit increased to £50. So now all in including line rental it works out at £22.66 a month. Still not the best people get but I don't think too bad. Thanks again for your help.

markandbridget

Many thanks for your help. I have been thinking it over for the last … Many thanks for your help. I have been thinking it over for the last week. Phoned again this morning and managed to get the bill credit increased to £50. So now all in including line rental it works out at £22.66 a month. Still not the best people get but I don't think too bad. Thanks again for your help.

Not a bad deal but Virgin to keep notes of the deal you accepted. So when your contract ends again they may not give you a better deal than what they currently gave you. Do you need a better speed than 50mb?

Original Poster

dealer221

Not a bad deal but Virgin to keep notes of the deal you accepted. So when … Not a bad deal but Virgin to keep notes of the deal you accepted. So when your contract ends again they may not give you a better deal than what they currently gave you. Do you need a better speed than 50mb?

Nah, 50 seems okay. Streams now tv, Google play, Netflix with no problems. Kids don't do all this online gaming. I think last year ( it was the first time I renewed contract) I got 6 months £5, and then 6 months for £10 and bill credit of £50. I know I didn't have to pay anything for a few months - did line rental up front. So, this isn't as good, in fact it's way short but short of actually cancelling and waiting for a call I don't think I'll beat it. Even then can I get close?

markandbridget

Nah, 50 seems okay. Streams now tv, Google play, Netflix with no … Nah, 50 seems okay. Streams now tv, Google play, Netflix with no problems. Kids don't do all this online gaming. I think last year ( it was the first time I renewed contract) I got 6 months £5, and then 6 months for £10 and bill credit of £50. I know I didn't have to pay anything for a few months - did line rental up front. So, this isn't as good, in fact it's way short but short of actually cancelling and waiting for a call I don't think I'll beat it. Even then can I get close?

honestly for 50mb i wouldnt pay anymore than £20 per month including line rental. i wouldnt pay line rental upfront to virgin they constantly increase their prices making deals more expensive and alot cheaper from other competitors.

Original Poster

dealer221

honestly for 50mb i wouldnt pay anymore than £20 per month including line … honestly for 50mb i wouldnt pay anymore than £20 per month including line rental. i wouldnt pay line rental upfront to virgin they constantly increase their prices making deals more expensive and alot cheaper from other competitors.

Yes, effectively I'll be locked in till the end of next November when my line rental ends. I'd need to cancel and wait for a call if I'm any chance of a better price and what if they don't ring me back. Husband could join up, its hassle tho and no good deals at the mo unless Black Friday!!! They did say there won't be anymore price increases till next Nov so we'll see. I don't feel I've got good bartering power with only fibre from virgin. Apparently when I look on openreach it's in the cabinet but I can't get it yet, something about the line being too long or something and they are looking at other options. Maybe that might change over the next 12 months and I can shop around more. At least I saved an extra £1 a month today. That's a quid for something else. Every little helps!

if you live in York you can get 1000 speed from talk talk including line rental for less than £22 a month
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Lower car insurance99
    2. word association Game74244891
    3. Add one, leave one game54315413
    4. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7769290

See more discussions