Is waxed wood safe to burn on open (indoor) fire

Posted 18th Mar
I have an old waxed door that I would like to cut up to burn on the our open fire (not wood burner). Is it safe to do so or will it give off unhealthy fumes. I can't see the answer to this question on the internet. Thanks for your help.
Community Updates
Ask
9 Comments
Sure it's usually bees wax that's used, probably be fine
Yes, waxed wood will be fine, my gran burnt far worse than that on her fire for years and never suffered any ill effects though I must point out that if your flue / chimney is clear and working properly there shouldn't be much in the way of fumes coming out into the room.
Thank you for the answers which are very helpful. If anyone else wishes to comment their opinion would be of interest.
staffordsaver18/03/2020 17:56

Thank you for the answers which are very helpful. If anyone else wishes …Thank you for the answers which are very helpful. If anyone else wishes to comment their opinion would be of interest.

My gut instinct said no straight away. A quick Google came up with this

Do not add a wax log to an existing natural wood fire.
Wax logs contain twice the BTUs of energy per pound as natural firewood, so mixing the two can result in an excessively hot fire, one that possibly exceeds the specifications of your fireplace

Not worth the health risks if your not 100% on what the door has been waxed with in the first place...
If you want to be precautious wait until the fires been lit for a short while to ensure there's a good draw on the chimney.
If your house is ventilated properly and the stack & flue is properly maintained & you have a fireguard I doubt anything bad can happen.
Growing up we put everything on our open fire. Used to love going out the garden with an axe and chopping up doors/tables/beds etc. That was when wood was wood! Not what you get now.
Edited by: "ArcadeAssassin" 18th Mar
Alexandralocks18/03/2020 18:44

My gut instinct said no straight away. A quick Google came up with thisDo …My gut instinct said no straight away. A quick Google came up with thisDo not add a wax log to an existing natural wood fire.Wax logs contain twice the BTUs of energy per pound as natural firewood, so mixing the two can result in an excessively hot fire, one that possibly exceeds the specifications of your fireplaceNot worth the health risks if your not 100% on what the door has been waxed with in the first place...

Thanks for your comments, Alexandralocks. I googled wax logs and it seems that they are manufactured, not simply waxed wood. Waxed wood should not burn too hot, but as a precaution I will put on one piece at a time. Thanks again.
staffordsaver19/03/2020 12:40

Thanks for your comments, Alexandralocks. I googled wax logs and it seems …Thanks for your comments, Alexandralocks. I googled wax logs and it seems that they are manufactured, not simply waxed wood. Waxed wood should not burn too hot, but as a precaution I will put on one piece at a time. Thanks again.

Waste not want not they say I suppose.. be safe
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Discussions

Top Merchants