Is Worcester Greenstar 30i good for 11 radiators and thermostatic shower?

Posted 13th Jan
Hey guys. I had my bathroom done a few months ago and shower was working ok on system boiler even though the cold water feed is right above the ceiling the shower head is mounted on. As it got colder the shower stopped working.
I decided instead of fitting a pump I'll go and fit the Worcester Greenstar 30i ERP boiler.
It says it has flow rate of 12.5l per minute so I was wondering if that's good enough for thermostatic shower.

3387833-SLex8.jpg

The shower system j bought from manomano was

Thermostatic Concealed Shower Mixer Valve Ceiling Shower Head Set

Similar to the pic below but square version which is not on their system anymore.
3387833-MBIpE.jpg
I'm due to get it installed soon but want to make sure it will work before going ahead. Thanks in advance.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

15 Comments
WB have a calculator for boiler size. Essentially 3kw per living room, 1.5kw per bedroom, 3kw for HW and see where that lands you.

12.5l is OK for a shwoer but that is a rain head and may challenge it. The head should have a required flow rate in the spec

At least with a thermo valve, youwont freeze or scald
ccnp13/01/2020 21:21

WB have a calculator for boiler size. Essentially 3kw per living room, …WB have a calculator for boiler size. Essentially 3kw per living room, 1.5kw per bedroom, 3kw for HW and see where that lands you.12.5l is OK for a shwoer but that is a rain head and may challenge it. The head should have a required flow rate in the specAt least with a thermo valve, youwont freeze or scald

The system boiler was a problem. I managed to trick the thermostat by turning basin hot water on and off as well as the bath water. But now that cold water is too cold shower has been redundant. Unless its raining outside and the leaking roof flows down the shower head
Hi what tank do you have ? Is it a unvented tank. How many bathrooms etc would need water. System boilers are a good system. Can see why you are struggling with hot water.
If anything maybe upgrade a vented system to a unvented tank would be a better idea. But it all comes down to how much demand for hot water you need and any current issues.
I'm due to have the same boiler installed by Boxt on Thursday. Switching from a standard system (? tank in loft, hot water tank in airing cupboard?) in a modern 4-bed 11-rad house, one mixer shower over the bath, one non-power electric shower in ensuite.

I've read that boiler has a flow rate of 12.7l/m, which I'm hoping will be fast enough to fill a bath reasonably quickly.

I've also been advised by Boxt that my mixer shower may not be compatible with the boiler, due to water pressures. The installer will advise me on the day.
Edited by: "terriclarkfan" 14th Jan
kash201314/01/2020 01:19

Hi what tank do you have ? Is it a unvented tank. How many bathrooms etc …Hi what tank do you have ? Is it a unvented tank. How many bathrooms etc would need water. System boilers are a good system. Can see why you are struggling with hot water. If anything maybe upgrade a vented system to a unvented tank would be a better idea. But it all comes down to how much demand for hot water you need and any current issues.

Theres only 1 bathroom and a cloakroom toilet. I really want the water tank out as its and old house and the last owners took out the wall under the that room to make open plan kitchen. So nee to take stress off the RSJ. Also need the tank out to make changing joist from 6 inch to 9 inch easier.
terriclarkfan14/01/2020 09:15

I'm due to have the same boiler installed by Boxt on Thursday. Switching …I'm due to have the same boiler installed by Boxt on Thursday. Switching from a standard system (? tank in loft, hot water tank in airing cupboard?) in a modern 4-bed 11-rad house, one mixer shower over the bath, one non-power electric shower in ensuite.I've read that boiler has a flow rate of 12.7l/m, which I'm hoping will be fast enough to fill a bath reasonably quickly.I've also been advised by Boxt that my mixer shower may not be compatible with the boiler, due to water pressures. The installer will advise me on the day.

Please let me know. People say its good to have Thermostatic shower so you dont get water too hot or cold when someone opens other taps whilst you're in shower
We have a bar type thermostatic shower and have an adjustable pattern rain head plus hand held attachment for rinsing off. The pressure from combi boiler is same as the mains , so no problem . Temperature is always constant all that happen if someone decides to do the dishes whilst you're in the shower is the pressure drops a bit. Only a budget setup from B&Q , been fitted 14 years (Rain Head is 5 years old) , no problems. Our combi boiler is an Ideal , been running for 3 years , not a minutes trouble.
yorkie1214/01/2020 13:34

We have a bar type thermostatic shower and have an adjustable pattern rain …We have a bar type thermostatic shower and have an adjustable pattern rain head plus hand held attachment for rinsing off. The pressure from combi boiler is same as the mains , so no problem . Temperature is always constant all that happen if someone decides to do the dishes whilst you're in the shower is the pressure drops a bit. Only a budget setup from B&Q , been fitted 14 years (Rain Head is 5 years old) , no problems. Our combi boiler is an Ideal , been running for 3 years , not a minutes trouble.

I was told to go bar type by my bathroom fitter but I wanted all pipes to be concealed. He said it's easier to replace if it's a bar type. How many kw is your combi please?
Edited by: "montana78" 14th Jan
39676109-zr14R.jpg
My HUKD bathroom
Edited by: "montana78" 14th Jan
montana7814/01/2020 18:55

I was told to go bar type by my bathroom fitter but I wanted all pipes to …I was told to go bar type by my bathroom fitter but I wanted all pipes to be concealed. He said it's easier to replace if it's a bar type. How many kw is your combi please?

Our boiler is 30Kw for 4 beds + 2 bathrooms
Started my installion of the WB 30i today. Turns out my Aqualisa mixer shower as-is isn't compatible with a combi, but can be adapted with a new cartridge. Managed to order one for delivery tomorrow for £95. Better that than a decommissioned shower, although of course some people might be able to switch the whole shower for less money.
terriclarkfan16/01/2020 19:58

Started my installion of the WB 30i today. Turns out my Aqualisa mixer …Started my installion of the WB 30i today. Turns out my Aqualisa mixer shower as-is isn't compatible with a combi, but can be adapted with a new cartridge. Managed to order one for delivery tomorrow for £95. Better that than a decommissioned shower, although of course some people might be able to switch the whole shower for less money.

My shower is a concealed one behind the tiles . Hopefully mine should be ok as it's designed for use with low ish pressure. It did work ok when we first fitted it and that was system boiler. As we entered winter the cold water got colder so the demand for hot water wasnt being met so it wont come on unless it's set to cold temp only.
yorkie1215/01/2020 07:59

Our boiler is 30Kw for 4 beds + 2 bathrooms

Thermostatic showers fitted?
terriclarkfan16/01/2020 19:58

Started my installion of the WB 30i today. Turns out my Aqualisa mixer …Started my installion of the WB 30i today. Turns out my Aqualisa mixer shower as-is isn't compatible with a combi, but can be adapted with a new cartridge. Managed to order one for delivery tomorrow for £95. Better that than a decommissioned shower, although of course some people might be able to switch the whole shower for less money.

I fitted a new Aqualisa shower into our ensuite 3 weeks ago and it came with a small pressure reducing plastic type washer that fitted onto the cold inlet before you attach the cold water supply if you have a combi boiler, the part looked like it would only cost £2.
montana7816/01/2020 20:17

Thermostatic showers fitted?

In one bathroom we have a walk in shower with thermostatic shower . In the other we have an over bath shower, this isn't thermostatic just monobloc lever mixer and diverter to fill bath.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions