Is wowcamera.com trustworthy?

Posted 23rd Jul 2018
Looking to buy a Canon camera, and the price is good. Also claims to be a UK supplier with UK warranty. However, the camera is £130 cheaper than high street shops (25%).

Anyone had experience with this company?
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
I've placed two orders with these guys over the last 6 months, the first was a DSLR + Lens, the other was for a Samsung S9 phone. The camera (Canon 7d mark II) actually broke down after 3 months and I contacted wowcamera with my fingers crossed and some anxiety! They referred me to Colchester cameras who appear to do alot of repairs on behalf of Canon. As the camera was confirmed as an import, there was a charge for the repair and wowcamera paid the bill. A new motherboard was needed so the repair wasn't cheap but I personally didn't spend a penny and it was all dealt with in the UK. Considering the price was much lower than a local supplier I was very happy with the solution. I haven't had any reason to use warranty for the Samsung phone, however that was an EU version which apparently I can just take to my local Samsung repairer. Hopefully I never have to find out but I won't have any anxiety if that time comes.

Delivery itself wasn't that quick, took around 5-6 days overall, but I wasn't in a big rush and more interested in the savings. One tracking number showed delivery from UK and one from Netherlands. So they are an international company with some sort of local operations. If you need next day delivery, I'd shop elsewhere, otherwise these guys have been a decent option for me.
Hong Kong based, usually provide merchant warranty, not manufacturer. Subject to HK law, so if things go south you would need to be comfortable to navigate HK legal system.
You will probably notice that any indication of the physical location and trading status of the company is near impossible to locate on the website, unlike every UK-based company website that is subject to Business (Names and Trading Disclosures) Regulations 2015.
Believe no direct payment is available by credit card, so any S75 benefit would not apply. PayPal may support you, but PayPal can be equally difficult to work with if PayPal disagrees with you.
Would have every confidence that the item ordered would arrive and be same or acceptably close to what is described. Warranty servicing may be an issue, where any warranty may not necessarily be serviced in UK, regardless of what credible or otherwise arrangements were in place at the time of purchase.
15 Comments
write to them and ask if its grey or official European goods with MANUFACTURERS warranty or own warranty.

No reply = grey
Waffle = grey
No contact email = grey

camerapricebuster.co.uk lists most of the kosher shops

Own warranty is not necessarily a bad thing if you are getting a monster deal. Its a major brand when all said and done and I don't believe they trot out 'seconds'. Check its a UK business then simply pay with a credit card (and not via a credit card using paypal or similar intermediary) and get your S75 protection moneysavingexpert.com/sho…es/

But it must be a business that takes credit cards and you must pay direct and not through one of the rip off intermediaries who strip you of this protection
Edited by: "ccnp" 23rd Jul 2018
Hong Kong based, usually provide merchant warranty, not manufacturer. Subject to HK law, so if things go south you would need to be comfortable to navigate HK legal system.
You will probably notice that any indication of the physical location and trading status of the company is near impossible to locate on the website, unlike every UK-based company website that is subject to Business (Names and Trading Disclosures) Regulations 2015.
Believe no direct payment is available by credit card, so any S75 benefit would not apply. PayPal may support you, but PayPal can be equally difficult to work with if PayPal disagrees with you.
Would have every confidence that the item ordered would arrive and be same or acceptably close to what is described. Warranty servicing may be an issue, where any warranty may not necessarily be serviced in UK, regardless of what credible or otherwise arrangements were in place at the time of purchase.
It's a Canon G7x MK2. £399 here, £530 or so elsewhere. Which makes it cheaper than eBay.

Thanks for the comments though...I can now see why it's offered cheaper 👌
I've placed two orders with these guys over the last 6 months, the first was a DSLR + Lens, the other was for a Samsung S9 phone. The camera (Canon 7d mark II) actually broke down after 3 months and I contacted wowcamera with my fingers crossed and some anxiety! They referred me to Colchester cameras who appear to do alot of repairs on behalf of Canon. As the camera was confirmed as an import, there was a charge for the repair and wowcamera paid the bill. A new motherboard was needed so the repair wasn't cheap but I personally didn't spend a penny and it was all dealt with in the UK. Considering the price was much lower than a local supplier I was very happy with the solution. I haven't had any reason to use warranty for the Samsung phone, however that was an EU version which apparently I can just take to my local Samsung repairer. Hopefully I never have to find out but I won't have any anxiety if that time comes.

Delivery itself wasn't that quick, took around 5-6 days overall, but I wasn't in a big rush and more interested in the savings. One tracking number showed delivery from UK and one from Netherlands. So they are an international company with some sort of local operations. If you need next day delivery, I'd shop elsewhere, otherwise these guys have been a decent option for me.
BEWARE : all is fine until you have a problem.

I bought the iphone x in March 2018 from WowCamera. Everything was good until the phone stopped working in Dec 2018. Apple diagnostics concluded that they will replace the handset BUT the replacement handset has transferred to it the original purchase details (or something) from WowCamera which locks it to country region of Hong Kong.
WowCamera would not honour the warranty and the Apple replacement phone was HongKong region.
WowCamera would not provide a UK phone nor a refund.
WowCamera have been unhelpful and obnoxious.
I've finally sorted it all but at a financial cost and time cost to myself.
No delivery/ no refund. AVOID !!!I purchased a Sigma 24-70 mm Art Lens on 8 dec.2018/ and i paid almost 900£ . Because i didn't received my item i tried to contact them but with no answer. They provided a traking number but after a discussion with DPD i understood they didnt received my item and they have only contact information and address information.
After several disscusion with them i couldn't understand why they are refusing to send my item (they said DPD LOST ITEM). I send all the information (Dpd answer) but they dont want to refund.
They REFUSE to resend item or to refend me.
This company is a nightmare. I wouldn't recomand this company. SOCKING SERVICE!!!
NOW...After so many month they are still refusing to refund me. I tried to contact them but they didn't answer. Avoid!!! Avoid !!! If u dont want to lose your money
Its a non-UK import from Hong Kong, distributed via Luxembourg. It is not supplied with a UK adaptor. They will not honour and comply with the The Consumer Contracts (Information, Cancellation and Additional Charges) Regulations 2013. They refuse to reimburse original postage costs. They refuse to pay return postage costs. They threaten to charge a "re-stocking charge of up to 50%" if the item has been removed from packaging, all in contravention of your consumer rights. The return postage is to Honk Kong and costs £50 insured for £365. They say use Royal Mail, but package is too large.

Only use Paypal, and if they try these tricks raise a dispute and quote the following mandatory English legislation that overrides their terms.

"I have cancelled the contract pursuant to my right under s29 of said Regulations, which was notified to the trader in compliance with s32. Consequent to this cancellation by s33, s34 to s38 also apply. Therefore the trader is obliged by s34(1) to reimburse all payments received from the consumer. By s34(2) (ands(3) where applicable) this must include costs paid in respect of standard postage. Section 34(8) prohibits the trader from charging any fee which includes a "re-stocking charge) as the trader wrongly suggests it is entitle to charge. Section 34(9) is the only circumstances under which the trader may deduct monies from the reimbursment but 'removing from the box' does not trigger this entitlement as the trader wrongly suggests. By s35(5) & (6) Seller is obliged to pay my return postage as it did not give notice I would be required to pay those costs"
Edited by: "bbomc" 9th Aug 2019
I cannot recommend this company. It look like they are not uk based despite they pretend to be. They have sent me a camera (worth over £1600) in just manufacturer box and taped it over with sticky tape... The box was knocked and camera wasn't switching on. After an email exchange they asked me to return the camera to them for a refund or replacement. I did that on my expense and they refused to accept a parcel! Now I am waiting to get the parcel back to me, and I will update this post as soon as I have anymore information, but at the moment I am not happy at all.

5.12.2019 Update:

Today I have supplied WOWCAMERA with requested documentation from the carriers and waiting for their response.

18.04.2019 Update

I opened a paypal case, but still wasnt in possesion of the camera as it was stuck in "sorting centre" of Royal Mail. They gave me some time to post it to Honk Kong address this time(not Luxembourg address as previously requested by Wowcamera, and I feel they did that intentionaly to make sure I won't win Paypal case this way), hovewer I couldn't do that as I wasn't in possesion of the camera at that time therefore Paypal case was closed in favour of merchant . Then I received the camera back and posted it to their Hong kong address anyway.

I will now copy and paste recent email exchange with them.

* My emails (30 March 2020):

"Hello

I see that you finally received the camera to the address in Hong Kong provided by you through paypal resolution centre. Tracking code is RN5******85GB. As you can check yourself camera is definately faulty, so please refund me finally. It took long enough..

Regards"

"I also expect you to refund me postage charges. I attached a photo of a receipt to this email address. Regards"

* Their response (31 March 2020):

"Hi J***b,

Thanks for getting in touch. Hope this email finds you safe & healthy.

I have referred both your emails below to Compliance as the fact it was through a claim this decision was reached, I would need to alert the respective dept. overseeing this matter before offering any next steps. Hope you understand.

My team or I will reach out once we have further confirmation.

Keep safe!

Kind regards,

Sally Turner"

* Their another email (1 April 2020):

"Morning J***b,

Having consulted Compliance, we've been advised for you to contact PayPal instead. Sorry we can't be of further support, but please follow up with PayPal on this matter going forward.

All the best in your future endeavors, and do keep safe!

Kind regards,

Sally Turner"

**** in a meantime I tried to reopen case with paypal, but without success ****

* My email (from today which is 18 April 2020):

"Paypal case is closed.... and your company is a big scam. I already wrote to HK consumer rights advice regarding this and waiting for an answer from them to check what are .y options. I will sue your company to court if there will be a need. I will also write reviews on every possible reviews site if you will be deceiveing me and not refund me the money for camera I returned to you."

"You know that its not possible to reopen closed paypal case, but you want me to deal through paypal dispute system anyway. I understand that its your intention not to refund me and keep this defective camera. If you have good intentions then show it as till now it looks like your intention is to scam me."

Lets wait now and see what their response gonna be.
Edited by: "Swiezyyyy" 18th Apr
Swiezyyyy28/11/2019 16:06

I cannot recommend this company. It look like they are not uk based …I cannot recommend this company. It look like they are not uk based despite they pretend to be. They have sent me a camera (worth over £1600) in just manufacturer box and taped it over with sticky tape... The box was knocked and camera wasn't switching on. After an email exchange they asked me to return the camera to them for a refund or replacement. I did that on my expense and they refused to accept a parcel! Now I am waiting to get the parcel back to me, and I will update this post as soon as I have anymore information, but at the moment I am not happy at all.

As much as I sympathise with your predicament, I can't help but wonder why you weren't a little more diligent when spending £1600.
Read trustpilots reviews wowcamera.co.uk and wowcamera.com the amount of negative reviews on one compared to the other are totally misleading. I went to the wrong one to make my decision to purchase big mistake this company take your money then blame the carrier for non delivery despite the carrier not even receiving the goods. Don’t believe any excuse they make they will probably just blame a reputable company for non delivery and keep your money. Trustpilot should get their act together and give the public a more accurate review of a company no matter what platform they sell off.
Truspilots have lots of positive comments now.. I am thinking to buy Huawei p30 pro. Not sure about them. any updates from you guys? They are selling the new one for 460...
FTrump18/10/2018 09:25

I've placed two orders with these guys over the last 6 months, the first …I've placed two orders with these guys over the last 6 months, the first was a DSLR + Lens, the other was for a Samsung S9 phone. The camera (Canon 7d mark II) actually broke down after 3 months and I contacted wowcamera with my fingers crossed and some anxiety! They referred me to Colchester cameras who appear to do alot of repairs on behalf of Canon. As the camera was confirmed as an import, there was a charge for the repair and wowcamera paid the bill. A new motherboard was needed so the repair wasn't cheap but I personally didn't spend a penny and it was all dealt with in the UK. Considering the price was much lower than a local supplier I was very happy with the solution. I haven't had any reason to use warranty for the Samsung phone, however that was an EU version which apparently I can just take to my local Samsung repairer. Hopefully I never have to find out but I won't have any anxiety if that time comes.Delivery itself wasn't that quick, took around 5-6 days overall, but I wasn't in a big rush and more interested in the savings. One tracking number showed delivery from UK and one from Netherlands. So they are an international company with some sort of local operations. If you need next day delivery, I'd shop elsewhere, otherwise these guys have been a decent option for me.

When was your last order? So as I believe you would recommend? Phone was ok so far?
AndyRoyd23/07/2018 14:52

Hong Kong based, usually provide merchant warranty, not manufacturer. …Hong Kong based, usually provide merchant warranty, not manufacturer. Subject to HK law, so if things go south you would need to be comfortable to navigate HK legal system. You will probably notice that any indication of the physical location and trading status of the company is near impossible to locate on the website, unlike every UK-based company website that is subject to Business (Names and Trading Disclosures) Regulations 2015.Believe no direct payment is available by credit card, so any S75 benefit would not apply. PayPal may support you, but PayPal can be equally difficult to work with if PayPal disagrees with you.Would have every confidence that the item ordered would arrive and be same or acceptably close to what is described. Warranty servicing may be an issue, where any warranty may not necessarily be serviced in UK, regardless of what credible or otherwise arrangements were in place at the time of purchase.

Can you pay via paypal credit for the S75? that's the main reason I have paypal credit.
Edited by: "Racorac" 29th Apr
Racorac29/04/2020 14:57

Can you pay via paypal credit for the S75? that's the main reason I have …Can you pay via paypal credit for the S75? that's the main reason I have paypal credit.

Generally, if a merchant accepts PayPal payment and you can login to your account to make the payment, you can select the funding source as "PayPal Credit" which should be one of the qualifiers towards securing Section 75 applicability to the transaction.
Pawel_Kotowski06/02/2020 07:52

Truspilots have lots of positive comments now.. I am thinking to buy …Truspilots have lots of positive comments now.. I am thinking to buy Huawei p30 pro. Not sure about them. any updates from you guys? They are selling the new one for 460...

Trustpilot is so easily manipulated though.I remember the black friday sale fiasco mobilephonesdirect had some years ago where they would not honour deals, as fast as customers myself included where leaving one star reviews the company got their staff to write glowing 5 star reviews.I take everything from Trustpilot with a pinch of salt now.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions