Isnt it about time someone got rid of the stupid stupid squatters rights laws?

Found 15th Feb 2012
Occupy protesters who were evicted after wrecking an historic cathedral green are now squatting in a £3m home...

Apparently, some dirty, scruffy, unemployed, goatee bearded, layabout (I made that all up, but it's probably true) individuals have broken into a 8 bedroomed, 4 bathroomed mansion and are claiming squatting rights.

Isn't it about time someone stopped all this nonsense? It helps nobody (but the layabout unwashed), doesn't discriminate anybody to remove this stupid law, so why don't they??

40 Comments

Banned

if they break in they can't squat, someone left a window open

Banned

Master Chief?

First 2 sentences are

The group left College Green in Bristol last month after turning the pristine lawn into a muddy swamp.

Now 14 members of the mob have moved their protest into this beautiful eight-bedroom mansion in the affluent nearby suburb of Clifton Wood.

Maybe I'm being hyper critical but thats not exactly unbiased reporting.............and the journalists certainly know which buttons to press. They must be dissappointed there wasn't an illegal immigrant they could mention. Wondered how they got the pics? Bunged them some money maybe?

Squatters rights are stupid but then so is the fact that there are 1 million empy homes (according to Channel 4). Owners should put them to good use instead of leaving them empty.

Edited by: "gari189" 15th Feb 2012

The group, of mixed nationalities, are legally allowed to live there … The group, of mixed nationalities, are legally allowed to live there because squatting is legal if entry to an empty property is not forced and there is no criminal damage.Bristol's Occupy movement set up their camp on College Green in October with up to 60 tents erected on the lawns.But within weeks the site, which overlooks Bristol Cathedral, was reduced to a muddy swamp full of rubbish, empty cider bottles and used syringes

Hmm... Classy scum.

It has been estimated that £20,000 damage was caused to the green but a … It has been estimated that £20,000 damage was caused to the green but a local contractor has now offered to re-turf the entire area for the knock-down price of £4,800.The squatters refused to confirm how they gained entry to Clifton Wood House a week ago but insist they have not broken the law.However, they own a set of keys and the codes to the front gates - both of which were left on a counter in the empty mansion

So they did cause criminal damage then... um... laws?

Personally, I'd like to cave their heads in.
Edited by: "DragonChris" 15th Feb 2012

Banned

guv

Master Chief?

Guv?

Banned

gari189

First 2 sentences are The group left College Green in Bristol last month … First 2 sentences are The group left College Green in Bristol last month after turning the pristine lawn into a muddy swamp. Now 14 members of the mob have moved their protest into this beautiful eight-bedroom mansion in the affluent nearby suburb of Clifton Wood.Maybe I'm being hyper critical but thats not exactly unbiased reporting.............Squatters rights are stupid but then so is the fact that there are 1 million empy homes (according to Channel 4). Owners should put them to good use instead of leaving them empty.

As long as they are paying their council tax, what's it to do with anybody else? People chose to have second homes. What's the problem? It shouldn't mean it's fair game for smelly layabouts. I've owned properties that have been empty for over a year in the past. I didn't want to rent (though one I was trying to sell)

Tell me about it, my mum had to go abroad to get squatters out of her holiday home over Christmas and had to stay in a hotel while she waited for a result.

It ended up costing her £2,500+, not including losing out on work and damages in her holiday home.

gari189

First 2 sentences are The group left College Green in Bristol last month … First 2 sentences are The group left College Green in Bristol last month after turning the pristine lawn into a muddy swamp. Now 14 members of the mob have moved their protest into this beautiful eight-bedroom mansion in the affluent nearby suburb of Clifton Wood.Maybe I'm being hyper critical but thats not exactly unbiased reporting.............and the journalists certainly know which buttons to press. They must be dissappointed there wasn't an illegal immigrant they could mention. Wondered how they got the pics? Bunged them some money maybe?Squatters rights are stupid but then so is the fact that there are 1 million empy homes (according to Channel 4). Owners should put them to good use instead of leaving them empty.

That sounds like you're saying it's the homeowners fault if someone squats in their empty house.
Like guv says, it's their house, it's up to them whether they occupy it or not.
So if I leave my car unused on the drive for 6 months, it's ok for someone to take it as I'm not using it?

Isnt it about time someone got rid of the stupid stupid squatters rights … Isnt it about time someone got rid of the stupid stupid squatters rights laws?

They did. Years ago.

Edited by: "thesaint" 15th Feb 2012

guv

As long as they are paying their council tax, what's it to do with … As long as they are paying their council tax, what's it to do with anybody else? People chose to have second homes. What's the problem? It shouldn't mean it's fair game for smelly layabouts. I've owned properties that have been empty for over a year in the past. I didn't want to rent (though one I was trying to sell)

Just trying to point out the wider picture. There's supposed to be a housing shortage and not enough new homes are being built - this is going to push up the prices of housing. This is good news if you're on the housing ladder but not good news if your not. Landlords will make more money renting out properties, more benefit money will have to be shelled out to cover housing costs, more social or council housing will be required because people can't afford to buy houses. The taxpayer will be paying for this one way or the other.

Im not suggesting for a moment that squatters are right - they're not and they obviously break into most of these squats so it should be illegal. But there are streets with empty homes which do nothing for those who live next door to them and do nothing for the community as a whole. Squatters are bad news but then so are empty homes being left to rot especially if you live next door to one.

How dare you affect their human rights to break in and occupy someones property by abolishing squatters rights? Ridiculous proposition.

Banned

http://www.healthy-holistic-living.com/images/overhead-squat.jpg

Put the boys in and evict them.

gari189

There's supposed to be a housing shortage and not enough new homes are … There's supposed to be a housing shortage and not enough new homes are being built - this is going to push up the prices of housing. This is good news if you're on the housing ladder but not good news if your not. Im not suggesting for a moment that squatters are right - they're not and they obviously break into most of these squats so it should be illegal. But there are streets with empty homes which do nothing for those who live next door to them and do nothing for the community as a whole. Squatters are bad news but then so are empty homes being left to rot especially if you live next door to one.

i see ur point, thay all that's happening is the rich are getting richer and the poor are getting poorer.

but we don't live in a commnuist state. people have worked hard to get to these houses. the country does provide so many benefits and helping hands out to the less well off. use it to try maximise ur chances of getting a job and settling urself....going around causing anarchy beacuse u feel the system is hopeless is not the answer

progain

Any need? At least try to be funny next time!

Agree with the above. I would be around with my spare set of keys with a load of the biggest nasty blokes I could find and after I had beat them severely I would then boot the out. Job done

dylanjb100

wow...telling someone off for not being funny enough on the internet

Mod & Ed

these in no order

http://awscontent.s3.amazonaws.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/107563-TakaToka.jpg

http://cdn.celebs.allwomenstalk.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/Johnny-D-560x393.jpg

http://cdn.celebs.allwomenstalk.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/Michael_Fassbender-560x344.jpg

http://cdn.celebs.allwomenstalk.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/josh-duhamel-las-vegas-photo-12-560x418.jpg

magicbeans

wow...telling someone off for not being funny enough on the internet

Wow, Sense of humour on you
Edited by: "dylanjb100" 15th Feb 2012

gari189

There's supposed to be a housing shortage and not enough new homes are … There's supposed to be a housing shortage and not enough new homes are being built - this is going to push up the prices of housing. This is good news if you're on the housing ladder but not good news if your not. Landlords will make more money renting out properties, more benefit money will have to be shelled out to cover housing costs, more social or council housing will be required because people can't afford to buy houses. The taxpayer will be paying for this one way or the other. Im not suggesting for a moment that squatters are right - they're not and they obviously break into most of these squats so it should be illegal. But there are streets with empty homes which do nothing for those who live next door to them and do nothing for the community as a whole. Squatters are bad news but then so are empty homes being left to rot especially if you live next door to one.

Gari, you usually make points I agree with but in this debate you are talking nonsense.
If someone wants to buy a house and leave it empty for 10 years then its up to them.
Like deek's example which you failed to reply to if someone leaves a car unattended for 6 months does that give someone the right to take it?

there was a story about a woman on the news who went on holiday I think, she came back with her two children to find the house trashed and a group of polish people in there it took her, a long long time to get them evicted, possibly more than a year (though I can't remember).

wishy if they were squatting in my place i'd be in NO rush to get them out!

Original Poster

thesaint

They did. Years ago.Could you highlight where anyone has said anything … They did. Years ago.Could you highlight where anyone has said anything about squatters rights, or provide a link to these laws?

I'm not proclaiming to be an expert and I am just going off the article but it's seems they're implying that because they didn't break in and the property was empty, they are entitled to stay. This to me is just plain stupid. If the owners want to leave it empty, to renovate, keep or use it as a holiday home, it's up to them. If I have a car that I put in storage and only drive once a month, it doesn't give the right for someone to take it for a spin and not give it back if i left it unlocked...

Banned

dylanjb100

http://chicagosmma.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/henderson-bisping-gif.gif

progain

Nice to see you laying down

If you want to have a squatters rights law, which I think is ridiculous then there should also be a fast track eviction process which happens in days rather than months or years.

magicbeans

i see ur point, thay all that's happening is the rich are getting richer … i see ur point, thay all that's happening is the rich are getting richer and the poor are getting poorer.but we don't live in a commnuist state. people have worked hard to get to these houses. the country does provide so many benefits and helping hands out to the less well off. use it to try maximise ur chances of getting a job and settling urself....going around causing anarchy beacuse u feel the system is hopeless is not the answer

I completely agree. End of the day empty homes are bad news though, its the waste of a house, if you own the house its an asset not being used and it just ends up being targets for vandals or squatters.

wishihadadonkey

these in no order

I think you're in the wrong thread

Mod & Ed

jonny619447

I think you're in the wrong thread

how did they get in here? oO

jonny619447

Gari, you usually make points I agree with but in this debate you are … Gari, you usually make points I agree with but in this debate you are talking nonsense.If someone wants to buy a house and leave it empty for 10 years then its up to them. Like deek's example which you failed to reply to if someone leaves a car unattended for 6 months does that give someone the right to take it? there was a story about a woman on the news who went on holiday I think, she came back with her two children to find the house trashed and a group of polish people in there it took her, a long long time to get them evicted, possibly more than a year (though I can't remember).

At no point have I said that the squatters are right - I agree 100% that they are bad news for the rightful owners and neighbours and they should have no right whatsoever to squat. But you only have to go on the train to places like Leeds and you see streets full of boarded up houses. I just think they should be put to better use.

Banned

gari189

At no point have I said that the squatters are right - I agree 100% that … At no point have I said that the squatters are right - I agree 100% that they are bad news for the rightful owners and neighbours and they should have no right whatsoever to squat. But you only have to go on the train to places like Leeds and you see streets full of boarded up houses. I just think they should be put to better use.

I don't know how you're points are linked though. This house is a £3 million grade-II listed mansion - the people are unemployed parasites. How do rows of empty houses impact on squatters, besides giving them more opportunities to ruin people's lives.

Banned

If the homes you are referring to are council owned Gari, then it's a valid point. However, privately owned homes are irreliavent and the public do not have a responsibility to house anyone, least of all scrotes like these.

http://www.globalhealingcenter.com/media/squatting02.jpg

gbspurs

Agree with the above. I would be around with my spare set of keys with a … Agree with the above. I would be around with my spare set of keys with a load of the biggest nasty blokes I could find and after I had beat them severely I would then boot the out. Job done

Agreed. Even if I didn't have friends or family who would do it for free I'd rather pay for them to be ripped out of there with extreme prejudice than pay a solicitor a few grand to negotiate with scum.

Original Poster

Bit off topic but I don't understand any of the pictures in this thread or how they're relevant....

Banned

dcx_badass

Torch it and kill the scum.

Great idea.... Lose your investment in property but exchange it for free board and lodgings for the rest of your life! oO

ei8hty5ive

Bit off topic but I don't understand any of the pictures in this thread … Bit off topic but I don't understand any of the pictures in this thread or how they're relevant....

squatters nowadays

Banned

Its all about how you deal with these people.

Believe me noone would be squatting in one of my flats. I had a tenant once who thought he was going to get away with not paying the rent by spinning a sob story. He soon changed his tune with a few carefully chosen words about crime rising in the area and left shortly after.

Anyone who tried to squat in my flat would meet with a rather nasty experience. Nothing to do with me of course.

Banned

Elton Chong

Its all about how you deal with these people. Believe me noone would be … Its all about how you deal with these people. Believe me noone would be squatting in one of my flats. I had a tenant once who thought he was going to get away with not paying the rent by spinning a sob story. He soon changed his tune with a few carefully chosen words about crime rising in the area and left shortly after.Anyone who tried to squat in my flat would meet with a rather nasty experience. Nothing to do with me of course.

When you are in control of your emotions its easy, paying someone else to evict its a sensible thing to do.
Post a comment
@
    Text