Groups

ISP Connection Speed Application required to monitor speed - Any Advice ?

Hi,

Im having a few issues with my ISP regarding download speeds been throttled down to speeds of 0.25mb/s at peak times last over 6 hours!

I am a regular user of speedtest.net to check download speeds etc, however does anyone know of an application which you can schedule to run and collate the connection speeds into a log file?

Before I officially complain to the ISP, i need to get all the data in place to enhance my case to prove how poor it is, currently i can get 5.00mb/s at 3am, but anything between 4pm and midnight its 0.25mb/s.!!

Any suggestions of applications which can do these would be welcomed!

Cheers

Rick

16 Comments

[url]www.speedtest.net[/url] that is the one and only one you need!

Are you using wireless or LAN? My wireless drops at times, but the LAN is usually around 6Mb (on 8Mb with BT). With wireless I rarely get above 3Mb. Also, early morning seems to be the best speed.

im making assumptions here but if your with BT then they have their own speed tester. Ive complained with speedtest.net reports but they just blame the website.

speedtester.bt.com/

speedtest.net does keep a log of all ur speed tests too as said above

Original Poster

bhavesh01;6998399

[url]www.speedtest.net[/url] that is the one and only one you need!

Please read what i put.

Original Poster

golemsmate;6998492

im making assumptions here but if your with BT then they have their own … im making assumptions here but if your with BT then they have their own speed tester. Ive complained with speedtest.net reports but they just blame the website.http://speedtester.bt.com/speedtest.net does keep a log of all ur speed tests too as said above

Hi there,

My line is not directly provided via BT, Im with "SKY" on their talk package and "CONNECT" ISP.

I need to schedule a test to run every 30 mins for approx 336 hours to get a fair assessment of line speed to proof that its really bad.

Can BT Speedtester be configured to be scheduled ?

Cheers

Rick

RickT;7000429

Hi there,My line is not directly provided via BT, Im with "SKY" on their … Hi there,My line is not directly provided via BT, Im with "SKY" on their talk package and "CONNECT" ISP.I need to schedule a test to run every 30 mins for approx 336 hours to get a fair assessment of line speed to proof that its really bad.Can BT Speedtester be configured to be scheduled ? CheersRick

dunno if your on a limited (fup) with sky but that amount of testing will use a far old chunk of bandwidth.
    If its throttling there is nothing you can do as its there for a reason, if its something else such as congestion at the exchange not a lot can be done either
    however if its line fault your looking for your router will be logging all comms packets and crc/line errors so check the logs there.
    also try downloading a large file from the MS website see what speed you get not bittorenting/p2p

Sky connect is a BT wholesale based service. Sky haven't installed or are at full capacity on their own equipment. As such you pay more for a far worse service. As dcx_badass says, avoid speedtest sites and download from trusted servers like microsoft. Are you attempting p2p or other file sharing during peak periods?

Original Poster

Paddy_o_furniture;7002486

Sky connect is a BT wholesale based service. Sky haven't installed or are … Sky connect is a BT wholesale based service. Sky haven't installed or are at full capacity on their own equipment. As such you pay more for a far worse service. As dcx_badass says, avoid speedtest sites and download from trusted servers like microsoft. Are you attempting p2p or other file sharing during peak periods?

Any bandwidth usage during peak times is slow, for example, a 2 minute YOUtube video takes around 5 minutes to buffer and play.

I tried downloading XP Sp2 This evening @ 17:00, the downspeed was 31kbs and i left it for around 15 mins.. I have now just set the down load off again now and its coming down at 350kbs.

Therefore, sky or BT are throttling the bandwidth big time.

Rick

When the download speed is poor are you getting high pings/tracert's?

John

RickT;7005994

Any bandwidth usage during peak times is slow, for example, a 2 minute … Any bandwidth usage during peak times is slow, for example, a 2 minute YOUtube video takes around 5 minutes to buffer and play.I tried downloading XP Sp2 This evening @ 17:00, the downspeed was 31kbs and i left it for around 15 mins.. I have now just set the down load off again now and its coming down at 350kbs.Therefore, sky or BT are throttling the bandwidth big time.Rick

Are you connected via ethernet when checking this?

Banned

http://www.speedtest.net/result/633864936.png
    from my mobile

RickT;7000429

Hi there,My line is not directly provided via BT, Im with "SKY" on their … Hi there,My line is not directly provided via BT, Im with "SKY" on their talk package and "CONNECT" ISP.I need to schedule a test to run every 30 mins for approx 336 hours to get a fair assessment of line speed to proof that its really bad.Can BT Speedtester be configured to be scheduled ? CheersRick

It will almost certainly be Sky throttling speeds on a Connect connection ( via BT ).

My Daughter was on that package, she left Sky and went another ISP still via BT and her speeds doubled overnight.

Sky is only worthwhile if you are on a LLU package.

Original Poster

EndlessWaves;7006875

Are you connected via ethernet when checking this?

I can be connected via ethernet, wirless, the modem can be connected to the extension phone socket prewired in the study, , main socket at the door and even the "main" socket behind the BT face plate...

Which ever method of connection is used, its slow at peak times..

It is SKY or the exchange throttling the line speed, but in order to complain more in depth regarding the speed, (and to cancel to the contract within term) i need to collate the data in advance.

Thanks

Try: ]This

Key Benefits
    1) Save your bandwidth speed tests for as long as you specify.

Original Poster

Tanchi;7008269

Try: ]ThisKey Benefits 1) Save your bandwidth speed tests for as long … Try: ]ThisKey Benefits 1) Save your bandwidth speed tests for as long as you specify.

Thanks
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Potential upcoming Argos glitch or buggy app?66
      2. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19047072
      3. Royal Mail chat says I am not allowed to send paper of any kind to Hong Kon…1836
      4. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767134

See more discussions