Groups

Israeli Dates

I was given a warning for posting the following response (which was removed) to the poston Israeli Medjool Dates on sale in Tesco's :
    hotukdeals.com/for…866

Sorry if this is a bit off topic..

Sometimes its good to consider where our hard earned cash goes when we shop. These dates are grown on illegal settlements which are built on stolen land in the West Bank, do we really want our money going to support these obstacles to peace?

http://www.inminds.co.uk/img/back.a5.leaftet-boycott-israeli-dates.jpg

28 Comments

Original Poster

Image didn't appear:

http://www.inminds.co.uk/img/back.a5.leaftet-boycott-israeli-dates.jpg

welcome to hukd :roll:

Israel ftw.

Banned

israeli women are pretty fit but on a date.........arrogant

Thats the funniest thing I've ever read. What a load of absolute tosh!!!!!

I worked for six years on Israeli date plantations in the Negev, near the Jordanian border (Neot Hakikar & En Tamar).
    There is not one task carried out in a date tree that needs staying in it for more than 20 minutes. Most date trees are accessed by ladder or by a motorised platform that only carries one person. Depending on the time of year we'd be up & down 40 - 100 trees a day, so for one person to have to spend a whole day up one tree is a total joke!

casparwhite;4704307

israeli women are pretty fit but on a date.........arrogant

lol rep

Banned

I love dates. Got a link to the thread?

Original Poster

phatboy123;4704257

welcome to hukd :roll:

Thanks!

.. just learning the rules..

there's a lot of them

I have never tried Israeli Dates - will get some on Monday, Thanks!

Banned

why is this back?

Original Poster

The web page the image is from also had a youtube video on israeli dates - that video mentions that the info on the Palestinian workers is from an expose in an Israeli newspaper Haaretz, (27 Jan 2008) their reporter Gitit Ginat interviewed the workers and settlers for the article "Dates of infamy ". A bit of googling I found the original article:

]
    http://ww…tml

If anything the article is more damming than the info above!

Original Poster

The israeli newspaper article its from explains:

The work that is done in the summer months requires a stay of 20 minutes … The work that is done in the summer months requires a stay of 20 minutes to an hour on the palm. Pruning, though, is more complex. If a tree that grows in an industrial grove is not pruned early on, it will produce large numbers of dates that "compete" with one another and usually do not reach their full size. Pruning is essential in order to obtain a large, high-quality date. The preferred method is manual pruning, by which a worker can do one or two trees a day. In this case, he has to be brought down from the tree several times during the day for breaks. Because the manual method was used in California, and the workers in question were hardscrabble Mexicans, this process came to be known in the industry as "Mexican pruning."A few weeks ago, Alinat met a grove owner who does not reside in the Jordan Valley, but has close business relations with owners of groves there. She asked him if he was familiar with the custom of leaving workers on the tree for the whole day. The man, who refused to be interviewed for this article, told Alinat that this situation does exist and is known as the "taxi driver" phenomenon: The "taxi driver," he explained, sends the worker up the tree at the start of the day and collects him at the end. Quite a few Israeli employers in the Rift Valley use this method, the man said, because they treat Palestinians as cheap labor in which it's not worthwhile to invest. Another source in the industry - he too does not live in the Rift Valley - confirmed that the phenomenon exists, though he does not know how widespread it is.Five "Mexicans" or "taxi passengers" from the Jericho area are sitting opposite me in the restaurant at Almog Junction, at the southern end of the Jordan Rift Valley. They are all residents of Jiftlik; the youngest is 22, the oldest is 44. Like many Palestinians in the area, they began to help out in the house at age 6 or 7, and at the age of 14 or 15 were sent to work in the nearby settlements because of economic distress at home. Ten years ago they earned between NIS 20 and NIS 30 a day; today they earn NIS 40 net a day. All of them have years of experience working in the industry; all are intimately acquainted with dates."On average I am in the tree for five hours, without a crane," says S., the oldest of the group. "There are trees that have few fruits, and the work on them takes four hours, even less. But there are trees where there is a lot of fruit to pick. That can take eight hours."

full artice:

]http//ww…tml

g1bbuk;4704323

Thats the funniest thing I've ever read. What a load of absolute … Thats the funniest thing I've ever read. What a load of absolute tosh!!!!!I worked for six years on Israeli date plantations in the Negev, near the Jordanian border (Neot Hakikar & En Tamar).There is not one task carried out in a date tree that needs staying in it for more than 20 minutes. Most date trees are accessed by ladder or by a motorised platform that only carries one person. Depending on the time of year we'd be up & down 40 - 100 trees a day, so for one person to have to spend a whole day up one tree is a total joke!

g1bbuk;4704323

Thats the funniest thing I've ever read. What a load of absolute … Thats the funniest thing I've ever read. What a load of absolute tosh!!!!!I worked for six years on Israeli date plantations in the Negev, near the Jordanian border (Neot Hakikar & En Tamar).There is not one task carried out in a date tree that needs staying in it for more than 20 minutes. Most date trees are accessed by ladder or by a motorised platform that only carries one person. Depending on the time of year we'd be up & down 40 - 100 trees a day, so for one person to have to spend a whole day up one tree is a total joke!

LMAO. Busted

Believe what you want, but I know from personal experience that this is propoganda BS. Even if it were true that the workers had to spend the whole day up a tree does that mean we have to boycott buildings that are erected with cranes?
    Standing in the crown of a date tree is much easier than it looks. You have your feet on the lower branches & the higher branches that point upwards between your legs & under your arms making it almost impossible to fall out.

'Mexican pruning' is a method of thinning out the young fruits so the ones left grow to the right size (otherwise you get loads of small fruits). The slowest way is to count every single fruit on each stem & prune to a certain number, but this should still take no more than 1 hour a tree.

So are you really saying we should boycott Israeli dates just because some Palestinian workers moaned about working conditions to a journalist?
    People in this country moan about their working conditions all the time, at this rate there'll be nothing left to boycott...

Many thanks for pointing the thread out to me.

Just bought some........yummy.

g1bbuk;4706657

So are you really saying we should boycott Israeli dates just because … So are you really saying we should boycott Israeli dates just because some Palestinian workers moaned about working conditions to a journalist?People in this country moan about their working conditions all the time, at this rate there'll be nothing left to boycott...

from the original post....
    Sometimes its good to consider where our hard earned cash goes when we shop. These dates are grown on illegal settlements which are built on stolen land in the West Bank, do we really want our money going to support these obstacles to peace?

i think what i have highlighted is the op's point...

Original Poster

Syzable;4706666

Just bought some........yummy.

Read the israeli newspaper article, it says the dates get urinated on..

Original Poster

g1bbuk;4706657

Believe what you want, but I know from personal experience that this is … Believe what you want, but I know from personal experience that this is propoganda BS. Even if it were true that the workers had to spend the whole day up a tree does that mean we have to boycott buildings that are erected with cranes?Standing in the crown of a date tree is much easier than it looks. You have your feet on the lower branches & the higher branches that point upwards between your legs & under your arms making it almost impossible to fall out.'Mexican pruning' is a method of thinning out the young fruits so the ones left grow to the right size (otherwise you get loads of small fruits). The slowest way is to count every single fruit on each stem & prune to a certain number, but this should still take no more than 1 hour a tree.So are you really saying we should boycott Israeli dates just because some Palestinian workers moaned about working conditions to a journalist?People in this country moan about their working conditions all the time, at this rate there'll be nothing left to boycott...

For someone who has lived in the region you seem totally oblivious to whats going on.

These Palestinians have been forced off their farms by the Israeli army, the farms have been handed over to settlers newly arrived from the US and Europe who have been given instant citizenship because of they are Jewish. The Palestinians without their farms have no source of livelihood, they have colour coded id cards which prevent them from traveling even a few miles to look for work, the checkpoints and apartheid wall keep them imprisoned to their village. They have families to feed so they are forced to work for the settlers who now live in their homes and farms, they have no avenue to complain about wages or working conditions - they are struggling simply to survive another day. Israel doesn't allow the Palestinians to build any new buildings so as their population increases over the years they have to use tents for additional space and for new classrooms at schools. The Palestinians are even forced to remove their kids from these makeshift schools to work for the settlements as they need the extra money for food.

Comparing these conditions to as you put it "People in this country moan about their working conditions all the time" is hardly fair.

The whole Arab/Jew thing isn't going to get sorted on this thread, & I'm not pretending to be an expert on middle east politics, but I do know about dates & that leaflet & newspaper article are totally wrong!!
    If they can be that misleading about the date plantations then they could be misleading about other things too.

Banned

g1bbuk;4708207

The whole Arab/Jew thing isn't going to get sorted on this thread,

Not with that attitude it won't.

Banned

Hows The Boycott Going?

Sorry, but I simply don't care.

Politics has its place, this site isn't it.

I don''t give a fig (excuse the pun) if things I buy come from Israel or not..,

Banned

grex9101;4892792

Sorry, but I simply don't care.Politics has its place, this site isn't … Sorry, but I simply don't care.Politics has its place, this site isn't it.I don''t give a fig (excuse the pun) if things I buy come from Israel or not..,

well said....take it up with the supermarkets that buy the stuff

incidentaly ive been eating a lot of israeli grapes recently thanks to the co-op

casparwhite;4892812

well said....take it up with the supermarkets that buy the … well said....take it up with the supermarkets that buy the stuffincidentaly ive been eating a lot of israeli grapes recently thanks to the co-op

Carmel or something similar the supplier is i believe.

They ARE good

Banned

starsparkle2311;4893072

I love dates, I hate having to buy those "eat me" packs from the … I love dates, I hate having to buy those "eat me" packs from the supermarket. I went out with a tunisian lad in London, we used to have them fresh, yes, fresh(shipped over by his family) , so lush, once you've had the best it's hard to put up with second best!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thats what my ex's seem to say

not too sure what they mean tho

Banned

starsparkle2311;4893085

lol, I knew as i typed the words, someone would have that … lol, I knew as i typed the words, someone would have that reply.............. well done, if I had a creme egg you could have it,xxx

thanks as long as you suck the creamy stuff out of it first....dont like it:p

dove;4704182

Image didn't appear:

Look man, I really can't be arsed with the politics of the whole Israel vs Palestine debacle, but can you explain to me why the people involved aren't simply human beings, and why it's morally better for these kids to starve and for their families to starve because I don't eat their produce than for them to be fired for not working fast enough? Do you want a world where no-one has to work to feed themselves? How do you propose the world works when no-one has to work?
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …4532118
      2. Back to school: what's your views on your kids uniform and piercing rules e…27120
      3. If you had £50,000 to start a business what would it be ?2546
      4. How long do we think it’ll be until USB C is considered as safe and univers…66

See more discussions