Issue with a CV rewrite any help appreciated.

Found 17th Aug 2017
Evening all looking for a little advice. I looked into having my CV touched up and emailed a guy that I found after a google search. He rewrote my CV and had emailed me a PDF preview I explained a few things that I didnt like to receive a response basically stating that he has had 16 years rewriting cvs and the points that I made were basically wrong. its a 2 page rewrite and he has now sent me an invoice demaning payment of £80 in 14 days even though he previously stated that until I was happy with the results I didnt pay and he is unhappy that I havent been answering my phone (I emailed him twice in the last 2 days explaining I was at work and working overtime) I am wondering if he has any grounds for follow up if I dont pay as he seems content to charge me for something that I have advised I am not satisfied with.
Community Updates
Ask
11 Comments
What contractual terms did you agree to?
Do you have a link to his website if he has one?
I havent actually agreed to anything contractually I dont want to name names on the site but I basically sent him an email he gave me suggestions of changes he would make he advised that I wouldnt pay until I was happy with the CV I made a few suggested changes like I wasnt happy with the general look of the CV as it seemed bit plain he then sent me the invoice which I replied to stating I wasnt happy with the changes so surprised I got an invoice at this stage to receive a response from him stating.

Hi ,

You have indicated in your previous email that you are happy with the content of your CV (I used the term its fine and then suggested changes). As mentioned, I am happy to change the layout, but I need you to communicate exactly what you want? If you look at my website, it is clearly stated that I do not use CV templates (mine is the same layout and look of an example cv from his site 2 years ago), all of my CVs are adapted to suit the client. I am not privy to your shift system so I asked for a convenient time to speak to you in a text, but did not receive a reply (I told him twice via email).

Please tell me when you are available so we can resolve any issues and move forwards. I can fit the CV in to a template if this is your wish, but there are thousands of different styles out there and I cannot work blind.

Best regards

It needn't be a formal contract - just an email exchange where the price is mentioned, scope of works and your indication for him to start. If this made a small claims court (unlikely for just £80) then this would suffice for a contract.

Your dispute is that he has not achieved your scope of works. In fairness he is asking what these are. Either bring the contract to an end and say that you are not satisfied he can add any value to your CV based on his dissappointing efforts so far and therefore require no further assistance from him and offer him say £40 or define what you want done and advise you will pay him £80 within of 14 days of being satisfied with his contribution.
Why are you even thinking about paying someone to write your CV? The internet is full of useful (and sometimes not so useful) advice, templates etc. There is no such thing as the perfect CV and you should really be tailoring your CV to each different job you apply for based on the different requirements for each role.
Check on eBay they are cheap
hopper_papa_roac1 h, 38 m ago

all of my CVs are adapted to suit the client.

That comment is a red flag to me

Not sure why nobody else has picked t up

cv's are written and adapted to suit the job applied for

Also are there any t's&c's you "checked"when accessing their website?
Skaman1 h, 21 m ago

Why are you even thinking about paying someone to write your CV? The …Why are you even thinking about paying someone to write your CV? The internet is full of useful (and sometimes not so useful) advice, templates etc. There is no such thing as the perfect CV and you should really be tailoring your CV to each different job you apply for based on the different requirements for each role.

Apologies
Only saw your comment after reading & replying to a previous comment ITT
hopper_papa_roac2 h, 8 m ago

"Hi ,You have indicated in your previous email that you are happy with …"Hi ,You have indicated in your previous email that you are happy with the content of your CV (I used the term its fine and then suggested changes). As mentioned, I am happy to change the layout, but I need you to communicate exactly what you want? [...]"

It all depends on the contract between you and the CV writer. If, as you say, payment becomes due upon your satisfaction then on the face of you telling him it's 'fine', it could be construed as you being satisfied with his work as it seems like he's got that impression from his email.

Best thing to do is to explain to him that you're not yet happy with the CV and that you're understanding is that payment becomes due once you're satisfied according to his previous indications. Just be honest and hopefully things should straighten out. I doubt he'd take you to court over £80, so no need to think that far through as of yet.
What country is he based in,

He is bullying you, tell him you are not happy
Sounds like he's spent 16 years rewriting his own cv while trying to land a job.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants