Issue with recently fitted car battery. Any help appreciated?

18 replies
Found 18th Jun
Hi guys,

Any help with the following appreciated.

I had a new battery fitted in the car by the F1 autocentre near mejust under 6 months ago and noticed yday that there appears to be a leak of battery acid build up around the edge of the battery tray holding the battery in place but also noticed some has gone further down and not really sure where else. Now I'm not really sure where I stand with this as I have emailed yday but not had an answer and not getting a chance to get the car to the nearest one until Tuesday to speak to them. Is it a case of they need to replace the defective battery or if the acid has caused more damage to the engine area due to corrosion they are also liable for that?

Any help appreciated.

18 Comments

which side? any on the terminals? if negative it undercharging if positive it overcharging. could b battery or cables making it do it or just battery. was any grease put on terminals after fitting that usually slows it down. hope it helps

or ask google

Original Poster

I tried google to no avail, it doesn't seem to be coming from the terminals though. I'll try to upload some pictures I've taken. I'm unsure of how it was fitted as they did it themselves and I was just sat waiting for it to be done.

battery could b leaking then

Original Poster

http://i.imgur.com/YlBZG1A.jpg

Original Poster

http://i.imgur.com/aHRglz8.jpg

Original Poster

This is stuff I noticed a bit further in under the battery compartment:

http://i.imgur.com/WZk8pWO.jpg

Original Poster

Hocky

battery could b leaking then

pics are up. I'm certain it's leaking, but I just didn't know where I stand with taking the car to get sorted as it may have damaged more of the metal work/pipes on the car. I've not had any issues as such yet so not sure how long this leak has been going

could've been from old battery and disturbed it when fitting new one . take it in just to b on safe side . and I'd get them terminals greased up as they should've done that when it was fitted

Original Poster

Hocky

could've been from old battery and disturbed it when fitting new one . … could've been from old battery and disturbed it when fitting new one . take it in just to b on safe side . and I'd get them terminals greased up as they should've done that when it was fitted

I'm not sure but I've not noticed anything there before and I usually have a keen eye. The thing that makes me suspect that its leaked is the white(ish) bits around the edge and the top near the edge, plus the label looks like its all distorted.

sounds like it leaking then

Original Poster

I know they offer 3 year warranties on their batteries and I hope this is covered under that as it is only 6 months old and seemingly leaking but if the acid has damaged more of the engine area I don't know if they are liable for this?

stephen2k5

I know they offer 3 year warranties on their batteries and I hope this is … I know they offer 3 year warranties on their batteries and I hope this is covered under that as it is only 6 months old and seemingly leaking but if the acid has damaged more of the engine area I don't know if they are liable for this?

Before returning to supplier it may be prudent to throw a voltmeter across the terminals of the battery to see what voltage your alternator is providing when the engine is say at 3000 RPM, just in case the battery is not at fault. Don't take any vehicle-mounted battery volt meter at face value; compare to reading using external meter.

pour boiling water over it all

Original Poster

shaft1973

pour boiling water over it all

If it was coming from the connectors then I might do but I think it maybe a split battery which should be replaced garage surely? In need them to check the underneath too because acid may have leaked onto other parts of the engine

stephen2k5

​What battery did they fit looks like a cheap nasty one so that's what you expect from one of them...

stephen2k5

If it was coming from the connectors then I might do but I think it maybe … If it was coming from the connectors then I might do but I think it maybe a split battery which should be replaced garage surely? In need them to check the underneath too because acid may have leaked onto other parts of the engine

​Just take it to the garage that fitted it tell them and they should replace simple....

cruisecars

Just take it to the garage that fitted it tell them and they should … Just take it to the garage that fitted it tell them and they should replace simple....

And if the alternator is overcharging and wrecking the battery I imagine that a fault diagnosis fee would be reasonable.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Topcashback Trick or Treat competition47382
    2. Win free gin for a year88
    3. Win a short break for two at our hotel of the year: the Pointer, Bucks @ Su…44
    4. Magazine competitions - Issue 42 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk1414

See more discussions