It I cancel virgin TV , will I still get the Freeview. Channels.

Posted 10th Aug 2019
as pretty much the title. about to go through retentions, if I cancel the TV package, will I still be able to receive the Freeview channels?
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

21 Comments
furbars10/08/2019 20:50

Five second Google search reveals …Five second Google search reveals all.https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Forum-Archive/Freeview-channels/td-p/3755630

Broken link
No.
well, maybe for a few days/weeks until the cut off date.

The box is useless after they/you cut you/them off.

They will want their box back
Mine stopped working the day of cut off. A few Freeview channels worked but had a grey box saying there's a problem and to call them. Have Freeview now through an aerial.
adamderak10/08/2019 20:51

Broken link

Works for me and the answer is no, you use their cable for TV if your cancel you lose the signal, just connect to a aeriel to receive Freeview.
You could always get a Zgemma, They may not cut the cable, just disable it from the hub.

With a zgemma and a vm gift, you should be able to keep the channels
The mix tv bundle generally doesn't cost anything extra anyway

38244302-PpRNG.jpg
Edited by: "chocci" 10th Aug 2019
Most TVs have built in free view just put house aerial in...
It's not like a sky box, which receives is signal through the ether, it gets its signal down fibre. Virgin switch that off in totality, sky only switch off their content but the box is still capable of receiving the free sat signals.

If you really want the freeview and have an old sky dish on the wall ( they tend to get left behind when people move, so if you're not in a new build have a look), get an old sky box off ebay for about £5 (you only want an old one as you can't record on them - you only need the decoding). Quite possible to get a second hand dish and fit it yourself too.
Pound per pound this is still the best freeview box available.

uk.webuy.com/pro…r-b

I use mine daily.

BillySollox10/08/2019 21:32

Pound per pound this is still the best freeview box …Pound per pound this is still the best freeview box available.https://uk.webuy.com/product-detail?id=smedbtt2100b&categoryName=tv-media-players&superCatName=electronics&title=bt-dtr-t2100-500gb-youview-recorder-bI use mine daily.

Undoubtedly correct. Superb value and brilliant bit of kit with all the catch up services and Netflix
chocci10/08/2019 21:35

Undoubtedly correct. Superb value and brilliant bit of kit with all the …Undoubtedly correct. Superb value and brilliant bit of kit with all the catch up services and Netflix

If your TV has built in Freeview than why would you need this?
Sorry to answer on choci's behalf - first answer is your tv wont be able to record telly unless you attach a HDD.

The box mentioned will save you that hassle. (and it's cheaper)

BillySollox10/08/2019 21:57

Sorry to answer on choci's behalf - first answer is your tv wont be able …Sorry to answer on choci's behalf - first answer is your tv wont be able to record telly unless you attach a HDD.The box mentioned will save you that hassle. (and it's cheaper)

Not really concerned about recording, so given that would a box be pointless
Ringfinger10/08/2019 21:23

It's not like a sky box, which receives is signal through the ether, it …It's not like a sky box, which receives is signal through the ether, it gets its signal down fibre. Virgin switch that off in totality, sky only switch off their content but the box is still capable of receiving the free sat signals. If you really want the freeview and have an old sky dish on the wall ( they tend to get left behind when people move, so if you're not in a new build have a look), get an old sky box off ebay for about £5 (you only want an old one as you can't record on them - you only need the decoding). Quite possible to get a second hand dish and fit it yourself too.

They very much don’t switch off the signal you are just unable to watch it on their box. There are ways to get the freeview channels and more for next to nothing
BillySollox10/08/2019 21:32

Pound per pound this is still the best freeview box …Pound per pound this is still the best freeview box available.https://uk.webuy.com/product-detail?id=smedbtt2100b&categoryName=tv-media-players&superCatName=electronics&title=bt-dtr-t2100-500gb-youview-recorder-bI use mine daily.

Does this one have HD channels? I see they have a HD one for £45 and am wondering if it is worth the extra?
jat247410/08/2019 23:32

Does this one have HD channels? I see they have a HD one for £45 and am …Does this one have HD channels? I see they have a HD one for £45 and am wondering if it is worth the extra?

it's a bt branded Humax DTR-T2100

I believe the answer to your question is a YES!
adamderak10/08/2019 21:43

If your TV has built in Freeview than why would you need this?

If your TV has built in Freeview than why are you even asking a question about your tivo box as it's pointless ?
Edited by: "chocci" 11th Aug 2019
jat247410/08/2019 23:32

Does this one have HD channels? I see they have a HD one for £45 and am …Does this one have HD channels? I see they have a HD one for £45 and am wondering if it is worth the extra?

Yes, all the Freeview HD channels (dependent on local transmitter)
Edited by: "chocci" 11th Aug 2019
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants