IT prob, anyone know how to change everyones ip's to automatically detect settings?

13 replies
Found 4th Feb 2010
Donno that this is quite the right place but there seems to be a few people on here who might know a few things

Is theres a way to change everyones ip addresses to automatically detect settings on a domain? is there an easy way other than going round everyone individually? Im sure there must be but cant seem to find how

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
12 Comments

what operating system?

well they should automatically find the settings automatically (sp?) lol due to DHCP being enabled (thats assuming it is enabled)

Original Poster

yeah its DHCP but had a problem and had to put everyone on static manually, now need to switch back as i'm getting ip conflicts all over the shot! as people who where not in get assigned one already used, oh and the users cant change it themselves as its only admins

Original Poster

generaloneill;7753046

what operating system?

yeah sorry xp

as all your machines are part of a domain, then you can do it via group policy.

just going to work out the settings you need to change

Original Poster

jakethecatuk;7753541

if all your machines are part of a domain, then you can do it via group … if all your machines are part of a domain, then you can do it via group policy.

yeah I thought that, spoke to the guy who does the policy and he didnt seem to know , might have a look tomorrow

Original Poster

:thumbsup:

jakethecatuk;7753541

just going to work out the settings you need to change

cheers

OK.
Create a script with the following line in it: -

netsh interface ip set address "Local Area Connection" dhcp

This assumes that every single machine has the NIC 'Local Area Connection'.

Save the script on a shared folder - probably worth putting into the NETLOGON folder of your ADSERVERS.

Now create a GPO called 'NIC Settings' (or whatever you want to call it). Edit the GPO and under Computer Configuration / Windows Settings / Scripts (Startup/Shutdown) / Startup - call the script created above.

Now make the GPO update only the computers that are affected. You can do this by putting them all into a group and linking the GPO to the OU where your computers are and making the group you created read the GPO.

Good luck

Banned

I would have said this probably isn't the place to ask this kind of question.

I'm afraid you can't use GPOs to do this... the quickest way would be to create a startup script that will run when each pc is rebooted.

All you need is 2 lines...

netsh interface ip set address name="Local Area Connection" source=dhcp

netsh interface ip set dns name="Local Area Connection" source=dhcp

Done.

Original Poster

master_chief;7754324

I would have said this probably isn't the place to ask this kind of … I would have said this probably isn't the place to ask this kind of question.

yeah wasnt sure but thought Id ask looks like its paid off :thumbsup:

Babbabooey;7754523

I'm afraid you can't use GPOs to do this... the quickest way would be to … I'm afraid you can't use GPOs to do this... the quickest way would be to create a startup script that will run when each pc is rebooted.All you need is 2 lines...netsh interface ip set address name="Local Area Connection" source=dhcpnetsh interface ip set dns name="Local Area Connection" source=dhcpDone.

You can do this via GPO - read my post above and it explains how to do it.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. GoPro Hero 5 Black33
    2. spam regarding paypal33
    3. Best tablet around the £60 mark66
    4. Advice on 8" Tablet11

See more discussions