Item Bought Off Gumtree Never Arrived -- Can I Get a Refund?

Found 9th Jun 2015
Hi,

I recently bought a few academic books from a seller off Gumtree. I was originally supposed to pick them up in person and pay at the same time. Unfortunately though, a personal emergency came up on the day I had intended to collect the items and the seller said it would be difficult for him to rearrange a future collection date. He did, however, offer to send the items through the post for a nominal charge.

Anyway, cutting the story short, I paid through a bank transfer, the items never returned and the seller is not returning my e-mails (beyond one saying he sent the items out already). Admittedly, it wasn't exactly an expensive purchase but the fact that these books have yet to appear has caused a whole new rigmorale in terms of my studies. Do I have any recourse available to me for a refund?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks, Matt.

22 Comments

No, let that be a lesson learned. (No pun intended) (_;)
Edited by: "andybriggs03" 9th Jun 2015

Looks like you've been scammed.

I'd check with the local sorting office and neighbours, just in case they have the parcel. If they haven't, I'd just take it on the chin and move on...

Kudos for using 'rigmarole'

Original Poster

OK guys. Thanks for the advice. I do still have his mobile phone number however, along with an incredibly long stubborn streak. I may take a more guerilla tack to the problems -- not that the upstanding members of HUKD would ever condone such a thing.

Gumtree is infamous for being populated by conman and thieves, but like craigslist in the U.S. being home to serial killers :-\

Gumtree is infamous for being populated by conman and thieves, bit like craigslist in the U.S. being populated by serial killers :-\

Tell him you will break his legs

With bank transfer there's no way of getting your money back.

joshp

I've heard under rare circumstances if you report this fraud to 'Action … I've heard under rare circumstances if you report this fraud to 'Action Fraud' and then write a letter to their bank (find out their bank using the sort code) stating that the funds were part of a fraudulent transaction and you want them returned to the original account holder, then you may have a chance.Also now you can dispute bank transfers if you claim you accidentally sent the funds to the wrong account. Read up on this as it may help. Ultimately it sounds like you've been scammed however be persistent. Use their mobile number and use Google to search for the string. I've done this before and I found out every single detail about this guy and told them so, they refunded me immediately!

Elaborate "string"

joshp

Google it (_;)http://techterms.com/definition/string

So where would you find the string in gumtree ? Through emails ?

andybriggs03

So where would you find the string in gumtree ? Through emails ?

Never ever pay via bank transfer without you know and trust the person or company.
Once its gone its gone.
Think of it as posting an envelope with cash in it through there door only you never see the house. Once its left your hand there is very little you can do to get it back.

In future use Paypal or similar (make sure you don't mark it as gift), that way you'll have some form of protection if it never shows up.

EDIT: By string he just means info.
Google their email address, telephone number, username, etc.
With a bit of luck you'll find a there social media account (Facebook, LinkedIn, etc) where you can get their full name, address, etc.
Edited by: "joedastudd" 9th Jun 2015

You have the address, go there

benjammin316

You have the address, go there

and do what exactly when he gets there? your advice need to be more specific. no point in knocking on the door to see if anyone at home is there?

mutley1

and do what exactly when he gets there? your advice need to be more … and do what exactly when he gets there? your advice need to be more specific. no point in knocking on the door to see if anyone at home is there?

Ask for the books, failing that, a receipt, proof of postage.

Then beat him up.

Order off seller again with a new sign up if needed. Arrange to meet in person....

benjammin316

Ask for the books, failing that, a receipt, proof of postage.Then beat … Ask for the books, failing that, a receipt, proof of postage.Then beat him up.

beat him up as he won't have the books as he said he sent them already. he may not have asked for proof of posting as he already got the money so not his problem if the item doesn't arrive.

if the OP goes to his house, he should do so if he intends to make a scene

mutley1

beat him up as he won't have the books as he said he sent them already. … beat him up as he won't have the books as he said he sent them already. he may not have asked for proof of posting as he already got the money so not his problem if the item doesn't arrive. if the OP goes to his house, he should do so if he intends to make a scene

Then a beating it is.

The seller is responsible for the goods until they reach me.

Edited by: "benjammin316" 9th Jun 2015

joedastudd

Never ever pay via bank transfer without you know and trust the person or … Never ever pay via bank transfer without you know and trust the person or company.Once its gone its gone.Think of it as posting an envelope with cash in it through there door only you never see the house. Once its left your hand there is very little you can do to get it back.In future use Paypal or similar (make sure you don't mark it as gift), that way you'll have some form of protection if it never shows up.EDIT: By string he just means info.Google their email address, telephone number, username, etc.With a bit of luck you'll find a there social media account (Facebook, LinkedIn, etc) where you can get their full name, address, etc.

Gumtree masks everything except mobile, thats if you choose to put it on.

Knock his teeth out clean

Original Poster

Just so everyone knows, I'm arranging a pitchfork-wielding mob as we speak. Someone needs to bring the torches though.
Post a comment
@
    Text