Expired

Item left on doorstep and gone missing advice please

Found 17th Jun 2014
I posted an item using collectplus.co.uk and the tracking said it had been delivered to customer.
Customer said they never received it and showed a card saying it had been left on doorstep.
I will know have to contact collectplus and get some sort of refund from them.
My question is, how long do i have legally before i have to pay a refund to the buyer please?
Can anyone help?
Also, the buyer did not ask for extra insurance and collectplus will only pay out upto £50, but the parcel was worth more.
Do i have to pay the difference and lose out due to an idiot delivery driver leaving said parcel on doorstep?
Any help gratefully received
Community Updates
AskDeliveryParcel Service
35 Comments
#I thought collect plus delivered it to a shop or similar locally? Didn't realise they did door to door.

how long do i have legally before i have to pay a refund to the buyer … how long do i have legally before i have to pay a refund to the buyer please?

Not sure it is a legality issue but morally should you not do a refund as soon as possible for the buyer?

The question of insurance is 1, Did you ask the buyer to pay insurance? How does the buyer know how much the item is goign to be covered for? If not offered then it is down to you, you can't expect them to pay for extra insurance unless you offered it due to the value of the item. 2, Collectplus would have offered you insurance over £50 which you then have to decide if you think it is worth paying the extra or not.

Collectplus = Sheeite company to use as a courier. But I suppose you now know that.
Was the card dated ?

The thing is here,the tracking says delivered,does it just says delivered or signature received?

I've never used collect+ can't you pay extra for a signature like you can for example with Hermes,because you shouldn't have sent something of that value without ensuring you get a signature,it's not up to the buyer to ask for extra insurance it's up to you to make sure it's sent with adequate insurance.
if you used collect+ they should have to go to a shop to collect
12alex04

if you used collect+ they should have to go to a shop to collect

Incorrect, they deliver to your door also.
oh do they, I didnt know ive only ever known them to deliver to a local shop
you should refund in full now and claim from c+

its not the buyers fault you paid inadequate insurance
I'd demand the full value from c+.

The item hasn't been accidentally lost or damaged, it has been lost due to negligence.

Especially if you paid for a service requiring a signature on delivery

But in the meantime you need to refund your buyer - It isnt their problem that your courier screwed up. Make sure you get the form saying left on doorstep from them.
Edited by: "mas99" 17th Jun 2014
What I'm saying is,how do we know it was left on the doorstep,you need to clarify that first,I get cards from Hermes all the time for example that say the item has been left in a safe place,It doesn't automatically mean the card left is pertaining to your item given the tracking says delivered.

That's why I was asking for clarification as to whether there was a signature or not and whether you have seen a pic of the card left and are sure it's your item.

Contact Collect+ first and see what they say as to whether the driver says he left it on the doorstep etc before you refund the buyer.
As above, do not refund until you get clarification from collect+.

Couriers shouldn't be allowed to do this.
very simple I'm afraid OP

if teh buyer can show you the card from C+ with teh correct consignment number and left on doorstep then you must refund

You opted at your risk to send an item valued at more that £50 with inasequate insurance and no signature required.

If I sell on here or ebay then I always get sig and correct insurance cover at buyers cost, but it's not an option - if buyer does not want to pay for the correct delivery service he does not get item

When you opt for the low cost basic service C+ are taking teh risk up to £50 that their driver just drops the parcel with no sig - that is their risk but only up to £50

Over £50 you make the choice - you cover yourself fully and pay the extra or you take the risk.

EliTom
elitom

very simple I'm afraid OPif teh buyer can show you the card from C+ with … very simple I'm afraid OPif teh buyer can show you the card from C+ with teh correct consignment number and left on doorstep then you must refundYou opted at your risk to send an item valued at more that £50 with inasequate insurance and no signature required.If I sell on here or ebay then I always get sig and correct insurance cover at buyers cost, but it's not an option - if buyer does not want to pay for the correct delivery service he does not get itemWhen you opt for the low cost basic service C+ are taking teh risk up to £50 that their driver just drops the parcel with no sig - that is their risk but only up to £50Over £50 you make the choice - you cover yourself fully and pay the extra or you take the risk.EliTom

Fair enough but do you really have control of whether the courier leaves it on the step or obtains a signature? I generally use RM or DPD which may cost more but are far more reliable than the likes of yodel, collect+ etc
I'd get proof before refunding! Many people will try it on if they didn't sign for something!

If they can prove it, then they should be refunded in ASAP and you should reclaim the funds for Collect+.

Demand the full price of the item and state is was indisputably their fault.

Although for future reference, its not the buyers fault for not asking for more insurance. It is also YOUR responsibility!
chocci

Fair enough but do you really have control of whether the courier leaves … Fair enough but do you really have control of whether the courier leaves it on the step or obtains a signature? I generally use RM or DPD which may cost more but are far more reliable than the likes of yodel, collect+ etc

Generally agree - I do not use Collect+ after bad experience with them

if you pay for a signature they should get one - but both Collect+ and MyHermes offer cheaper non sig services - which means they only need get it to address.!!!

EliTom
Bet they left it on door step and buyer got it, but says they didn't. Either way, not a lot you can do - Just refund and claim back against C+ as much as you can - What was the total value?
Thanks for the replies.
Upon further research it seems C+ have had quite a lot of parcels go missing.
What i don't understand is WHY are they allowed to leave parcels on doorsteps and WHY don't they ask for ID when getting a signature. Anybody can sign "Fred Bloggs" or just a squiggle.
VERY annoying.
magough

Thanks for the replies.Upon further research it seems C+ have had quite a … Thanks for the replies.Upon further research it seems C+ have had quite a lot of parcels go missing.What i don't understand is WHY are they allowed to leave parcels on doorsteps and WHY don't they ask for ID when getting a signature. Anybody can sign "Fred Bloggs" or just a squiggle.VERY annoying.

Lots of the courier companies have items go missing as they leave them in stupid places.Have you contacted them directly about your parcel,what have they said?

You can't ask people for ID when signing for a parcel X)
magough

Thanks for the replies.Upon further research it seems C+ have had quite a … Thanks for the replies.Upon further research it seems C+ have had quite a lot of parcels go missing.What i don't understand is WHY are they allowed to leave parcels on doorsteps and WHY don't they ask for ID when getting a signature. Anybody can sign "Fred Bloggs" or just a squiggle.VERY annoying.

Basically most couriers do this. Knock on the door. If no one is in then they will either, leave it in a secure area around the property, with a neighbour, if neither are available then they leave it at the local depot. Either way they put a card in the post and advise accordingly.

Used to work for a large high street store and they used yodel, collect+ ... parcels always go missing. The guy takes a photo and uploads it onto their system using there electric device. They most likely just take the package for themselves as they've covered their backs.

Again, it's your responsibility to ensure the package gets to your customer who has paid you. Legally it's the sellers responsibility to ensure the product gets to the customer. If it hasn't and has been lost in the post ... then you need to refund the customer and get what ever compensation you can from Collect+.

If all you're covered yourself for is £50 then that's all you will get. You can always huff and puff but you won't get more than £50 usually as that is the service you've paid for. A hard lesson to learn but you'll have to bite the bullet and know you've lost something.

The worst thing with couriers leaving packages outside is that some customers do scam ... the have the product and then also get a refund. It's your word against them as there is no way to know if: a) the customer took it and asking for a refund, b) someone passing by took it, c) the actually delivery driver took it for themselves.

Only thing you can do is to ask the customer to check around the property. WE had drivers leaving things in green bins, behind bins, in really odd places basically. Ask them to thoroughly check around the property. If not then refund them and get your £50 back from collect+. Maybe try to lodge a complaint against the driver on collect+ and see if you can get any more.

Oh and in future just use Royal Mail Next Day Special Delivery It may be £7.20 to post a mobile but that is a good price to pay when things like this happen ... which they don't cos you need a signature.
Edited by: "krazyasif786" 18th Jun 2014
deb8z

Lots of the courier companies have items go missing as they leave them in … Lots of the courier companies have items go missing as they leave them in stupid places.Have you contacted them directly about your parcel,what have they said?You can't ask people for ID when signing for a parcel X)

Oh yes you can. I had to show my driving licence or some other form of photo ID to receive a phone yesterday which was bought from EE. No I.D. no delivery.
NEtech

Oh yes you can. I had to show my driving licence or some other form of … Oh yes you can. I had to show my driving licence or some other form of photo ID to receive a phone yesterday which was bought from EE. No I.D. no delivery.

I meant if you privately send an item via Collect+ Hermes etc you can't get them to check for ID.
chocci

you should refund in full now and claim from c+its not the buyers fault … you should refund in full now and claim from c+its not the buyers fault you paid inadequate insurance

Bullsh*t - it's not implied anywhere that the seller has to cover the item with insurance.

The buyer should ask for insurance otherwise they wont get any - if it wasn't offered then they wont get it.

Couriers are paid to do a job - so they should take responsibility but they sadly don't.

Bigfootpete

Bullsh*t - it's not implied anywhere that the seller has to cover the … Bullsh*t - it's not implied anywhere that the seller has to cover the item with insurance.The buyer should ask for insurance otherwise they wont get any - if it wasn't offered then they wont get it.Couriers are paid to do a job - so they should take responsibility but they sadly don't.

so you are implying that if the buyer does not request insurance then the buyer is taking the risk fro non delivery? Is this what you mean?

Couriers are paid to do the job they are paid to do. If you buy an economy service with no proof of delivery offered then the courier does not need to provide proof of delivery. That is why most couriers will not offer insurance over £50 without the sender (who has the contract with teh courier) paying for a higher service level.

EliTom
Unless it was a pint of milk it should not have been left on the doorstep! That's just ridiculous. If nobody physically takes the parcel and accepts the delivery you take it back again and leave a card through the door!!! Next they will just drive by and chuck it in the garden like a newspaper!!!
krazyasif786

Basically most couriers do this. Knock on the door. If no one is in then … Basically most couriers do this. Knock on the door. If no one is in then they will either, leave it in a secure area around the property, with a neighbour, if neither are available then they leave it at the local depot. Either way they put a card in the post and advise accordingly. Used to work for a large high street store and they used yodel, collect+ ... parcels always go missing. The guy takes a photo and uploads it onto their system using there electric device. They most likely just take the package for themselves as they've covered their backs. Again, it's your responsibility to ensure the package gets to your customer who has paid you. Legally it's the sellers responsibility to ensure the product gets to the customer. If it hasn't and has been lost in the post ... then you need to refund the customer and get what ever compensation you can from Collect+. If all you're covered yourself for is £50 then that's all you will get. You can always huff and puff but you won't get more than £50 usually as that is the service you've paid for. A hard lesson to learn but you'll have to bite the bullet and know you've lost something.The worst thing with couriers leaving packages outside is that some customers do scam ... the have the product and then also get a refund. It's your word against them as there is no way to know if: a) the customer took it and asking for a refund, b) someone passing by took it, c) the actually delivery driver took it for themselves.Only thing you can do is to ask the customer to check around the property. WE had drivers leaving things in green bins, behind bins, in really odd places basically. Ask them to thoroughly check around the property. If not then refund them and get your £50 back from collect+. Maybe try to lodge a complaint against the driver on collect+ and see if you can get any more. Oh and in future just use Royal Mail Next Day Special Delivery It may be £7.20 to post a mobile but that is a good price to pay when things like this happen ... which they don't cos you need a signature.

Just pay £7.20, what type of advice is that?
Well that's what you get for being a cheapskate and not sending it via a service that requires a signature X)
Bigfootpete

Bullsh*t - it's not implied anywhere that the seller has to cover the … Bullsh*t - it's not implied anywhere that the seller has to cover the item with insurance.The buyer should ask for insurance otherwise they wont get any - if it wasn't offered then they wont get it.Couriers are paid to do a job - so they should take responsibility but they sadly don't.

fool

good luck arguing with ebay with that drivel
chocci

foolgood luck arguing with ebay with that drivel

exactly !

EliTom
collect + is for shops
sofiasar

collect + is for shops

Collect+ to shop is also not reliable

I fell out with Collect+ when I was waiting for a phone from a deal here - tracking said delivered to shop, had the text message to say deliveed to shop, but shop swore blind they did not have it!

Don't for get Collect+ are in partnership with Yodel - enough said !

EliTom
rev6

Just pay £7.20, what type of advice is that?

To send a mobile via Royal Mail Special Next Day Delivery it's £7.20. I sent a Moto G the other day and this was the price. Obviously they base the price on the weight of the item but every time I've sent a mobile it's always been this price. Used to be £6.95 but it's been raised recently to £7.20. This covers you for £500 insurance and the guy has to sign for it and they get it next working day.

Better safe than sorry
elitom

Collect+ to shop is also not reliableI fell out with Collect+ when I was … Collect+ to shop is also not reliableI fell out with Collect+ when I was waiting for a phone from a deal here - tracking said delivered to shop, had the text message to say deliveed to shop, but shop swore blind they did not have it!Don't for get Collect+ are in partnership with Yodel - enough said !EliTom

The shops need to sign too when received and taken so I'm sure collect+ could have done something.
All so I know is that pay point is in partnership
sofiasar

The shops need to sign too when received and taken so I'm sure collect+ … The shops need to sign too when received and taken so I'm sure collect+ could have done something. All so I know is that pay point is in partnership

I theory yes - in practice no !

I had a long discussion with Colect+ and when I started to explain the weakness in their processes they refused to talk to me anymore !!!!

Their process for handover from Yodel to the shop is flawed - simple as that

EliTom
elitom

I theory yes - in practice no !I had a long discussion with Colect+ and … I theory yes - in practice no !I had a long discussion with Colect+ and when I started to explain the weakness in their processes they refused to talk to me anymore !!!!Their process for handover from Yodel to the shop is flawed - simple as thatEliTom

I'm only saying as my brother has a shop and has collect +
Used collect+ for all my parcels tracking is really good and NEVER had an issue, and I send a lot of parcels.

Everyones quick to blame the courier but you dont know what kind of "customer" you're dealing with.

As for advice all you can do is contact collect+ and see how they can help or what they can advise.

Next time always select the correct amount of insurance for the item you are sending, tbh its not much more money for the peice of mind you get.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants