Groups

Item sold on here lost in post.........

purchased 2 items from the same seller on here way before xmas,items totalled £18,neither turned up,seller has been nice and polite answering pm's etc
    anyway ive just got a fwd email from the seller,its a letter they had from Royal Mail saying that although the item was sent recorded its been lost,no compensation but they have been sent a book of stamps,now where do i stand? seller hasnt mentioned anything about a refund,paid paypal gift,is it cheeky me asking for a refund?

117 Comments

No it's not cheeky, do they not get refunded by RM?

If so this should be passed onto you. IMO.

Why no compo?

You get it with just proof of postage so surely you can get it with recorded.

No its not cheeky, its within your rights and any seller worth their salt would refund you.

No harm in asking......but if the seller has been compensated by Royal Mail then they should at the very least be refunding you a good percentage of the amount you paid. Seems a tad unfair that the seller should get your money AND compensation from Royal Mail, and then leaving you with nothing.

.....if they are a decent seller then they'd at least refund you something.

maybe ask for half of the money back? this way you both lose equally.. :-D

Original Poster

the letter from royal mail that the seller emailed to me states "that in this instance compensation is limited to a refund of the postage" which then goes on to say they have sent th seller 12 1st class stamps

i think you can claim upto £28 if the item was sent by recorded delivery might be more

Mardyass;4052068

the letter from royal mail that the seller emailed to me states "that in … the letter from royal mail that the seller emailed to me states "that in this instance compensation is limited to a refund of the postage" which then goes on to say they have sent th seller 12 1st class stamps

With respect to proof of postage compo I don't get that do you?

Original Poster

imortal;4052073

i think you can claim upto £28 if the item was sent by recorded delivery … i think you can claim upto £28 if the item was sent by recorded delivery might be more

it was sent recorded but royal mail have only compensated the seller with 12 stamps:? but it still leaves me £18 short:thinking:

Recorded delivery is only a proof of posting but offers the same compensation as 1st or 2nd class post which is the market value of the item or up to a max of 100 times the price of a 1st class stamp

imortal;4052073

i think you can claim upto £28 if the item was sent by recorded delivery … i think you can claim upto £28 if the item was sent by recorded delivery might be more

Its always the equivalent of upto 100xFirst class stamps

The seller will get a full refund by submiting the recorded delivery receipt.
    If they refuse to give you a full refund, start a paypal dispute.You should get your money back.

Original Poster

sumsberry;4052097

The seller will get a full refund by submiting the recorded delivery … The seller will get a full refund by submiting the recorded delivery receipt.If they refuse to give you a full refund, start a paypal dispute.You should get your money back.

i paid paypal gift so dont think i will get a refund via paypal

imortal;4052073

You can claim up to £36 or the value of the item if lower.

sumsberry;4052097

The seller will get a full refund by submiting the recorded delivery … The seller will get a full refund by submiting the recorded delivery receipt.If they refuse to give you a full refund, start a paypal dispute.You should get your money back.

Paypal gift payment, no comeback.

Perhaps they are not aware of the compensation procedure with RM, that or they are trying to pull a fastun.

Original Poster

I dont know seller has been very helpful,it seems royal mail wont pay out compensation for the items as seller didnt give them "supporting evidence" of the value of the items,I have pm'ed the person and asked for a refund

Mardyass;4052165

I dont know seller has been very helpful,it seems royal mail wont pay out … I dont know seller has been very helpful,it seems royal mail wont pay out compensation for the items as seller didnt give them "supporting evidence" of the value of the items,I have pm'ed the person and asked for a refund

Also ask them if they are aware they can claim for the whole amount for the missing goods. You need a full refund now and get them to claim their dosh back.

The onus is on them not you.

Mardyass;4052068

the letter from royal mail that the seller emailed to me states "that in … the letter from royal mail that the seller emailed to me states "that in this instance compensation is limited to a refund of the postage" which then goes on to say they have sent th seller 12 1st class stamps

I'd honestly have to say that the seller is playing you here. :x

what exactly did you buy? no everything is covered by RM's insurance.

StevenA2000_uk;4052193

I'd honestly have to say that the seller is playing you here. :x

Not if you read post #17.

Perhaps RM do this in the hope that you don't know any better.

greg_68;4052214

Not if you read post #17.Perhaps RM do this in the hope that you don't … Not if you read post #17.Perhaps RM do this in the hope that you don't know any better.

Maybe, but if that be the case then maybe the OP should ask the seller to scan the letter and send it so that they can see it for themselves, and if theres a reference number on the letter then call RM to confirm that this is the case and that the details are correct.

no harm in that.

Not being funny but what has RM email to do with you. You entered into a deal/contract with the seller not RM. He should refund you full now and then he claims back.

Bigred01;4052279

Not being funny but what has RM email to do with you. You entered into a … Not being funny but what has RM email to do with you. You entered into a deal/contract with the seller not RM. He should refund you full now and then he claims back.

+1

Bigred01;4052279

Not being funny but what has RM email to do with you. You entered into a … Not being funny but what has RM email to do with you. You entered into a deal/contract with the seller not RM. He should refund you full now and then he claims back.

Spot on.

Original Poster

I have just been into paypal and have filed a dispute so maybe i didnt pay via paypal gift?! anyway the original date i paid the £18 was 17th november so think i have been rather patient waiting until now for a refund from the seller

I agree the seller should refund you BUT they could well be telling the truth RM are a lot stricter and do ask for receipts/invoices etc to prove how much the item cost.

In this case the seller did not provide any of this so were therefore given stamps,it happens a lot,you only have to read the ebay forums,its quite common.

Mardyass;4052094

it was sent recorded but royal mail have only compensated the seller with … it was sent recorded but royal mail have only compensated the seller with 12 stamps:? but it still leaves me £18 short:thinking:

surely the seller also has your £18? So at least they should give you the value of the stamps?

You're out of time for a Paypal claim ,you only have 45 days.

deb8z;4052397

I agree the seller should refund you BUT they could well be telling the … I agree the seller should refund you BUT they could well be telling the truth RM are a lot stricter and do ask for receipts/invoices etc to prove how much the item cost.In this case the seller did not provide any of this so were therefore given stamps,it happens a lot,you only have to read the ebay forums,its quite common.

Yeah so they need to put a proper claim in with evidence to get the full amount back....again which is not MA's problem.

MA should not be out of pocket in this transaction.

Did the seller give you the recorded delivery number to check online,what did it say ?

If not,ask them for it.

Errrr Greg i did say the OP shouldn't be out of pocket i was explaining how RM work,i dont dispute the seller is at fault.

Mardyass;4052165

I dont know seller has been very helpful,it seems royal mail wont pay out … I dont know seller has been very helpful,it seems royal mail wont pay out compensation for the items as seller didnt give them "supporting evidence" of the value of the items,I have pm'ed the person and asked for a refund

Hasn't the seller got your £18 as well as whatever they get from Royal Mail-they have gained in both instances-you have lost out in the cash and the goodies !:oops:

Original Poster

This is what the email starts off with..........Hi XXXXX this is the response i received from Royal Mail not a good one i'm afraid but i take it on board for future that no point in paying for recorded delivery as it means nothing if it gets lost.

theres then a scan of the letter from royal mail,no mention of refund of any sort for me does it look like the seller wont refund to you too?

vinylandtrinkets;4052562

thats all the seller needs to send RM is paypal receipt, post office … thats all the seller needs to send RM is paypal receipt, post office receipt and the listing from here to correspond with the sale, same sort of basis as ebay claims.OP i hope you get your money back, the seller should refund you then pursue the claim with RM.. good luck

couldn't have said it better.

Mardyass;4052555
    This is what the email starts off with..........Hi XXXXX this is the response i received from Royal Mail not a good one i'm afraid but i take it on board for future that no point in paying for recorded delivery as it means nothing if it gets lost.

theres then a scan of the letter from royal mail,no mention of refund of any sort for me does it look like the seller wont refund to you too?

Write back and say, "Thanks for that, but now that you have been compensated for your loss, I'd like my refund now please."

....:thumbsup:

Ok,so the hundreds of sellers that have previously posted about being sent stamps by RM have made it up then have they....lol

Original Poster

just checked in on paypal and sure enough ive done myself no favours by being patient and waiting..........Status
    This dispute closed because it was open for more than 45 days after the transaction date or did not meet other criteria for opening a dispute.

fingers crossed seller responds

From RM website - "For items posted which have no intrinsic value, or where, evidence of posting cannot be provided, there will be compensation available of a minimum of 6 x 1st class stamps.For items with proof of posting and evidence of value (such as an invoice or receipt) customers will be entitled to a pstage refund plus compensation up to the value of the item, with a maximum of £36".

I try to be helpful and nobody believes what i type,hmmmm

Original Poster

i wonder why the seller got 12 stamps then?! lol maybe because it was a recorded item?
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. How dangerous is Donald trump?31141
      2. Find out how good your GP surgery is55
      3. Microsoft Gamescom - Possibly more free games / Project Scorpio711
      4. The HUKD Student Discount code sharing thread (most codes on Unidays are si…6541246

See more discussions