Groups
    EXPIRED

Item stolen in post - when do I give refund?

Sold a phone on the forums, sent recorded delivery. Just been advised that package arrived opened with phone stolen.

When do I refund, after (if) I get refund from Royal Mail or straight away?

Any rules on here re: this?

Reason I ask is that this is th 2nd time this has happened to me in the last 6 months and it took ages to get the money last time. Feel that I'm bound to give immediate refund but well p!ssed off with the Royal Mail

40 Comments

urm royal mail will look into the situation, contact the recipient and check the views match, if they do then once you've filled out the forms then you should recieve a payment, do you know which form u need to fill out?

what an absolute joke! maybe use a courier next time like parcelmonkey

But did it? Did they sign for it as normal?

[url]ftp://ftp.royalmail.com/Downloads/public/ctf/rm/Inland_P58_form_English.pdf[/url] - incase u need it

hope it all gets sorted fast

How'd you know the buyers not lying?

Original Poster

yeah I've got the form and both he and the postie (details given) noted the damage - just well annoyed. Had a great day a work (not!) and come back to this.

I thought that posting it recorded would prevent this........still damn glad it actually got there as I won't have to wait three weeks to report it 'lost'

Recorded mail cover £39 or something,not sure what a 1st class stamps is these days but it's usually X 100 of 1st stamp so hope it wasn't worth anything more than that.

Original Poster

Nah only £30 but still somethinhg I could do without. Ah well a good moan and I'll refund............

In all honesty its down to the buyer to see if the parcel is all intact before signing for it. If its obvious its been open then he/she should not have signed for it.

Put in a claim with royal mail they will look into it properly. But doubt they will refund you on this occasion.

Also did you use your sim card in this phone?? if so call your network operator and say the phone has been stolen in the post. They will block it/bar it so it will no longer be able to work in the UK.

Original Poster

J4GG4;6884246

In all honesty its down to the buyer to see if the parcel is all intact … In all honesty its down to the buyer to see if the parcel is all intact before signing for it. If its obvious its been open then he/she should not have signed for it.Put in a claim with royal mail they will look into it properly. But doubt they will refund you on this occasion.Also did you use your sim card in this phone?? if so call your network operator and say the phone has been stolen in the post. They will block it/bar it so it will no longer be able to work in the UK.

Buyer signed for it stating it was damaged / missing

Was on '3' but have now ported out from '3', will they still be interested?

Biscuitman;6884276

Buyer signed for it stating it was damaged / missing Was on '3' but have … Buyer signed for it stating it was damaged / missing Was on '3' but have now ported out from '3', will they still be interested?

It depends if you used the phone with your own registered paygo or contract sim card?

They can look into it and block/bar it, each phone has its own imei number and thats linked to the network your using your sim card with so your network know the exact imei number your using with your sim card.

Original Poster

It was a contract '3' phone that came to end of the contract. I'll contact '3' and ask anyway

Look on the bright side, at least you sent it recorded, if you didn't then it's a whole different ball game

Do you (or the buyer) still have the original; box?
    if so, the IMEI number is on that box, one of the telephone companies will allow you to block the IMEI so that the phone is useless to the thieving scum who stole it :thumbsup:

Mike..

Biscuitman;6884313

It was a contract '3' phone that came to end of the contract. I'll … It was a contract '3' phone that came to end of the contract. I'll contact '3' and ask anyway

then call 3

it will get barred so the theifs are left with a useless phone :-D

Make sure you do it. dont let them get away with it

Banned

I think my mail was opened

If it looks as if your mail has been opened, this may be due to machine damage. However, do check whether anything is missing. We take the security of your mail seriously so please let us know if you think your mail has been tampered with. In addition, please keep the envelope, as it may be needed during our investigation.

Reporting a damaged item to us

The process for reporting a damaged item may include an inspection for insurance purposes. Please make sure you hold on to the damaged item and its packaging for our inspection team.

Please note that we can’t accept claims for the following items:
    [LIST]
    [*]Damage to ceramics e.g. ornamental and decorative china or porcelain if it was sent using our Standard Parcel service. Please use Special Delivery for fragile items.
    [*]Banknotes, cheques and coins, tickets, vouchers and high value items – unless sent using Special Delivery[/LIST]

What would you like to do next?

We hope you’ve found the answers you were looking for here. If you have another question, please return to the main Customer Services page.

Otherwise, you can report a problem regarding the delivery of your mail by completing the form on the next page. This will help us give you more specific advice and assistance.

]http://www.royalmail.com/images/ctf/custserv/button_back.gif]http://www.royalmail.com/images/ctf/custserv/button_reportaproblem.gif

well i dont think its up to you to refund tbh.
    Its not your fault it arrived like that.
    shouldnt the buyer claim instead?

cherishu2;6885688

well i dont think its up to you to refund tbh.Its not your fault it … well i dont think its up to you to refund tbh.Its not your fault it arrived like that.shouldnt the buyer claim instead?

No not at all, its up to the seller to refund.

You should refund immediately especially if they signed for it damaged/opened and claim back from the PO

Original Poster

Unfortunately the track and trace doesn't state whether it was damaged just says the item was signed for.................

So it's a question of trust, do I believe the buyer or do I wait.....

Tricky one , but if you were in that position whould you want to wait weeks for a refund ?

Refund as you have to trust buyer basically. If you dont refund others wont be able to trust to buy from you....

But do as others have suggested report the IMEI and make sure the phone is unusable.

Original Poster

Yeah agree with all of you. I know in my heart that I've got to refund but sooooooooooooooo annoyed. Anyway will get IMEI off buyer and then refund

Biscuitman;6886051

Yeah agree with all of you. I know in my heart that I've got to refund … Yeah agree with all of you. I know in my heart that I've got to refund but sooooooooooooooo annoyed. Anyway will get IMEI off buyer and then refund

Good for you hun.

You refunding tells me you're a seller who can be trusted and thats what it means to others also.

I reckon thats worth the cost of the refund eh xxx

Banned

Biscuitman;6886051

Yeah agree with all of you. I know in my heart that I've got to refund … Yeah agree with all of you. I know in my heart that I've got to refund but sooooooooooooooo annoyed. Anyway will get IMEI off buyer and then refund

how will you get the IMEI from the buyer if the phone has been stolen?

Should send special delivery, last time I sent recorded it went missing, complained at the local post office and counter worker said it happens quite a lot with recorded deliveries.
    Bad times.

csiman;6886083

box?

You can also call up the provider to get the IMEI.....

My daughters make a habit of losing their phones--- one week I called TWICE to say I needed phones blocked. Now that must look suspect! But Virgin blocked them for me

Original Poster

csiman;6886083

Phone stolen but box and accessories were delivered

Banned

Biscuitman;6886296

Phone stolen but box and accessories were delivered

thought it was just stored internally on the phone. No IMEI details on my mobile box

csiman;6886384

thought it was just stored internally on the phone. No IMEI details on my … thought it was just stored internally on the phone. No IMEI details on my mobile box

it's usually on the box too... under the label?

ummm not saying the buyer is dodgy fpr one second but I have had a similar problem on ebay and wonder if it is a scam?

I sent a new ebayer a iphone 3g sim and a few days latter he contacted me saying that there was no item but letter from royal mail saying the item was damaged. I asked him for proof telling him I would refund and instead of send me proof or scaning the info he disputed through paypal. Paypal said send me back the envelope and letter from royal mail and provide tracking info by the 14th nov and paypal would rule in his favour (no problem for me as i would claim off roral mail). However he still hasnt done this which makes me wonder if its a scam?

see i dont get it. If i send my son to shop with a tenner and he lost it on way, so he didnt give it to shopkeeper. whose fault is it he lost it.?

cherishu2;6890350

see i dont get it. If i send my son to shop with a tenner and he lost it … see i dont get it. If i send my son to shop with a tenner and he lost it on way, so he didnt give it to shopkeeper. whose fault is it he lost it.?

its because when you're person to person and its cash its a simple transaction... no money, no goods.

But when it involves the internet and the postal service theres a LOT of ifs and buts and maybes.

The buyer will wonder if they'll ever receive any goods for their money.... the seller will wonder if the buyer will pay the money and then reclaim it back. Both parties have to depend on trust and good will.

So if you're an honourable seller with a reputation to consider you're going to protect that good will, thats why its most sensible to refund the buyer if something goes wrong/gets lost/is broken in transit xx

If i was you, i would claim with Royal mail, wait for the refund/compensation, then refund the buyer.

This is what i have done. Its not your fault it got stolen, you sent it recorded etc, and i don't think you should be out of pocket, by losing a phone, having to refund the cash from the sale and the postage cost. Its up to you really, but Royal Mail may also contact the buyer and once they have their refund they might 'forget' to fill out the form Royal Mail send out.

Banned

i personally would also wait for rm to investigate, i am sure the buyer will be understanding, i would be under these circumstances

Banned

Ella'sMummy;6890525

If i was you, i would claim with Royal mail, wait for the … If i was you, i would claim with Royal mail, wait for the refund/compensation, then refund the buyer. This is what i have done. Its not your fault it got stolen, you sent it recorded etc, and i don't think you should be out of pocket, by losing a phone, having to refund the cash from the sale and the postage cost. Its up to you really, but Royal Mail may also contact the buyer and once they have their refund they might 'forget' to fill out the form Royal Mail send out.

I disagree, I sell stuff on ebay and not much goes missing, but when it does i either refund or replace straight away.
    If you bought something from amazon and it arrived open and missing, would you be happy if they said, ok, can you wait for 3-4 weeks while we claim from royal mail then we will refund you if we get compensation from them?

colinsunderland;6891506

I disagree, I sell stuff on ebay and not much goes missing, but when it … I disagree, I sell stuff on ebay and not much goes missing, but when it does i either refund or replace straight away.If you bought something from amazon and it arrived open and missing, would you be happy if they said, ok, can you wait for 3-4 weeks while we claim from royal mail then we will refund you if we get compensation from them?

+me

as I said.. its not just this sale the seller would be concerned with.. its future sales too x

Original Poster

Buyer has been refunded, IMEI supplied and service provider contacted to blacklist the phone.

Personally I hope the toerag who stole it chokes on it, but hey I'm not bitter. I'd love not to be out of pocket but have to agree that I'd be even more annoyed if I was an innocent buyer. I think on these forums you have to have an element of trust (not too much though!)

colinsunderland;6891506

I disagree, I sell stuff on ebay and not much goes missing, but when it … I disagree, I sell stuff on ebay and not much goes missing, but when it does i either refund or replace straight away.If you bought something from amazon and it arrived open and missing, would you be happy if they said, ok, can you wait for 3-4 weeks while we claim from royal mail then we will refund you if we get compensation from them?

No you would just give a refund willy nilly, more fool you, i would wait for royal mail to investigate it personally especially for that amount of money. Yes you do need trust on the forums, but when you think a buyer is pulling a fast one (as has happened to me in the past) i think you should be wary, im sure if you say you want rm to investigate the package sometimes miraculously turn up :whistling:

as for amazon they are a massive company, im a mummy trying to make a few quid! what a silly comparison

People forget that the receiver can also make the claim,generally you would expect the seller to sort it out,it's either or,i am of the understanding the claims process is quicker too if the receiver makes the claim.

Banned

deb8z;6893835

People forget that the receiver can also make the claim,generally you … People forget that the receiver can also make the claim,generally you would expect the seller to sort it out,it's either or,i am of the understanding the claims process is quicker too if the receiver makes the claim.

It's up to the sender (the person who directly pays for postage) to claim.

Thread closed at OP request. Thanks for sorting it out so quickly. Good luck in your claim resolution.

Sorry, commenting is no longer available on this discussion.

Top Discussions
    1. What to do?????58
    2. Photobook for up to 400 photos?34
    3. MacBook22
    4. Buy back on Euros to £££23

See more discussions