It's Friday can we discuss alcohol?

Found 27th Apr
Hi all
recently I have been trying my hand at homebrewing and I was curious if any user could pass on some helpful advice to a novice. I am currently keeping it simple by converting vodka to gin with a degree of success, I know this is basically bathtub gin but wondered if members of HUKD could offer advice on distilling. I am not 100% sure if creating my own alcohol base is cost effective compared to transforming vodka but I am open to advice.
Do any members distill their own base alcohol and if so can you give any advice on this process and possibly recommend a still, failing that what is your favourite gin recipes?
many thanks in advance for helpful information and have a great weekend.
my gin recipe: (based on 1 litre of vodka)

Juniper berries 30 gsm
coriander seeds 15gms
angelic root 3gms
orris root 0.3 gsm
grains of paradise 3gms
cubeb berries 3gms
cardamom 4 pods
coffee beans x3
dried Orange half slice
rosemary 0.5gms (dried)
infuse for 24 hours then add:
fresh Orange peel 1 small piece
fresh lemon peel 1 small piece
slice of fresh red grapefruit
infuse for 12 hours.
strain then put through a water filter if possible
serve with a slice
Community Updates
Misc
Top comments
There's already a homebrew thread here with quite a lot of info.

I don't know the first thing about this stuff, so I might be missing something basic, but converting vodka to gin? What's the point in that? Seems a hell of a lot of messing about, not to mention expense. Why not just buy gin in the first place?
Edited by: "deeky" 27th Apr
12 Comments
We brew beer/ales/cider , wine and mead but not tried distilling yet ...
loumar761 m ago

We brew beer/ales/cider , wine and mead but not tried distilling yet ...

I may need to try your recipe, it sounds good
There's already a homebrew thread here with quite a lot of info.

I don't know the first thing about this stuff, so I might be missing something basic, but converting vodka to gin? What's the point in that? Seems a hell of a lot of messing about, not to mention expense. Why not just buy gin in the first place?
Edited by: "deeky" 27th Apr
deeky20 m ago

There's already a homebrew thread here with quite a lot of info.I don't …There's already a homebrew thread here with quite a lot of info.I don't know the first thing about this stuff, so I might be missing something basic, but converting vodka to gin? What's the point in that? Seems a hell of a lot of messing about, not to mention expense. Why not just buy gin in the first place?

Its Friday
33705540-gdiRk.jpg
deeky48 m ago

There's already a homebrew thread here with quite a lot of info.I don't …There's already a homebrew thread here with quite a lot of info.I don't know the first thing about this stuff, so I might be missing something basic, but converting vodka to gin? What's the point in that? Seems a hell of a lot of messing about, not to mention expense. Why not just buy gin in the first place?

U can buy a ready meal in Asda so why bother cooking your own meal with fresh ingredients
deeky1 h, 5 m ago

Bandicoot17 m ago

U can buy a ready meal in Asda so why bother cooking your own meal with …U can buy a ready meal in Asda so why bother cooking your own meal with fresh ingredients

Is this a trick question? Errr... because if you go to ASDA you may get confused & buy vodka when you really wanted gin.
Bandicoot25 m ago

U can buy a ready meal in Asda so why bother cooking your own meal with …U can buy a ready meal in Asda so why bother cooking your own meal with fresh ingredients

Ah, ok. And you're welcome to the helpful link I posted for you
But its not Gin, it vodka with bits in.
123thisisme5 h, 36 m ago

But its not Gin, it vodka with bits in.

and gin is clear spirit with aromats or bits in.

looks like a good recipe OP I will give it a go.
I could be wrong, but pretty sure you need a license to operate a still in the UK... customs and whatnot get a bit funny, not only that but there's always a chance you might blow the roof off your house and be found wandering the streets in your underpants, like this guy...

dailymail.co.uk/new…tml

For that reason, there's a lot of homebrew groups on facebook that won't even allow discussion of running stills, because of the legal implications.

With that out of the way... what's your budget for a still? The machine I use for my beer has a still attachment available (I've not bought one), it's fairly pricey but apparently very good.

Pop into the homebrew thread (cheers deeky!)
But yea... why do you want to turn vodka into gin anyway?
deeky19 h, 40 m ago

Ah, ok. And you're welcome to the helpful link I posted for you

Ty
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants